Odd questions by Immigration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd questions by Immigration

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Happs
I encountered pretty much the same scenario as the poster in London at LGW a couple years ago. I was unemployed at the time but financially stable/comfortable yet they kept asking how I support myself, how much cash I had on hand, why I am unemployed, where am I staying in London, proof of return ticket. I had to wait 10 minutes while they actually called the hotel to confirm I had a reservation there and do other checks. So in all seriousness, what is one supposed to do, even if you do work to ensure a smooth entry into the UK. Bring last years tax return, last paycheck,, bank statement etc to prove your net worth? Are they concerned about people flying to the UK to sign up for welfare or something? The average American making $40,000 a year with little savings who spends more than he/she makes and going to the UK for their 1-2 week vacation should be considered a "risk" and denied entry by their logic. Seems crazy. What are they after?
Canadian immigration tends to treat British people the same - they all have this belief that we are only going there to sneak into the country and refuse to leave again...

I suspect the British immigration officials do get used to people trying to do exactly that, and that tends to colour their perception of the world
Old May 24, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
LAX TBIT 2 days ago

Marsha and I both bought leather coats in Buenos Aires. Listed them on the customs form.

Agent: "Do you have any animal products."
Me: "No"
Agent looking at form: " Do you have anything made from animal parts."
Me, thoughtfully: "2 leather coats. I guess leather is part of an animal."

He puts a big "A" on the form as he smiles at my answer and waves us on. Apparantly, I stunned him enough with the answer that he forgot to put the entry stamp on the form.

As we were exiting customs, we were stopped by the agent collecting forms who asked us if we had bothered to go thru immigration. Told to take a seat and they sent someone to get the form stamped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.