Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you ever leave your laptop in your hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever leave your laptop in your hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I always leave it in the room attached with a Kensington lock. There's no data on it worth stealing, so I'm not concerned about that.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I've never had a problem in a hotel room. I have had it stolen from my car, however. My laptop is something of a "beater" and all of my data is backed up regularly, so I'm not particularly worried about it.

When I leave the room, I leave the light and TV on (usually tuned to an all-sports channel) then hang the do not disturb sign.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I figure I stand an equal or better chance in having it stolen from my rental car, so I leave it in my room. If it disappears, I will simply have to steal something of equal value from the hotel.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: UA, NW
I put it in the bottom of my suitcase and place used and dirty clothes and underwear over it.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
never...and if I do, I put the Do NOT DISTUTB sign out....most of the time I put in in the hotel safe...but I have a small laptop....
Old May 16, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
I leave it in my room after a day working all the time. Never had a problem. I've been doing it for years and I don't even think twice about it.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
I leave it. If it gets stolen I will replace it and hammer it out with the hotel and my insurance company. I just use it to stay in touch with the office and check my fantasy teams. TV on, DND sign on the door. Never had a problem, even when staying in Hamptons (or worse). I think the hotel staff realizes a laptop would be missed instantly and won't take the chance. More and more properties also have hallway cameras.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Justme123456
I leave it in my room after a day working all the time. Never had a problem. I've been doing it for years and I don't even think twice about it.
Same here. Been doing it for years and never worry about it. If I'm leaving the room for a while and have something valuable that I don't want to carry around on me, then I just leave it in my suitcase with my suitcase locked.

One of the consultants on my current project will take his laptop with him even if we're going to the store or in a restaurant (rather than leaving it in the truck of the car with the rest of ours). So, everyone's a little different on this matter.

Now, if I was staying at a shady hotel then I might feel a little different. But anything on the same level or above a Fairfield Inn, I leave it in the room.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I leave my laptop in a hotel room all the time. While it would suck to have it stolen, I long ago realized that the pain of having it stolen would be far less than the pain of lugging it around and worrying about it. If there's a safe that will fit it I will use that, but otherwise I just don't sweat it anymore.

Now I'd make an exception if I were in what I called a high-risk area, but to be honest, I try and avoid high risk areas in general.

Steve
Old May 16, 2007, 12:44 pm

If I'm travelling with my laptop I'm generally staying in a "reputable" hotel (i.e. no hostels, YMCA, etc.). I've left it out on the desk commonly and never had an issue. I think any staff with fewer scruples still realizes that while a guest may not miss the change he dropped on the floor that gets picked up during cleaning he will miss his laptop..
Old May 16, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I generally leave my laptop in the room in most US hotels/motels. I do turn it off and have a secure start routine that would baffle all but a hacker for "security". It doesn't rerally have the special weapons codes in a subdirectories, and it would takea thief a long time to find little or nothing of interest.

Unless there's an in room safe, I wouldn't leave a camera, passport or any of that sort of "valuable" in the room. Abroad, I "split" my cash, debit & credit cards into two "wallets".

Other than short trips in the local area, I've stopped wearing my Rolex
Old May 16, 2007, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've left mine in my room, plugged in probably at least 10 nights a year, every year for at least 15 years. Knock on wood, no problems ever.
Old May 16, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I always leave my laptop on the desk in my Starwood Hotel room (50+ nights / year), and have never had a problem.

I leave so many umbrellas in restaurants and taxis that I know the laptop is safer away from me.
Old May 16, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by 601
The laptop I travel with is an almost 6 year old Apple iBook that might be worth $100 and only because it has a new battery.

I leave it in the room, if someone takes it - .... but whatever.
I do the same with my old 4th gen iPod. It almost screams, "Take me!" so then I'd have a legit excuse to get a new one, haha!!
Old May 16, 2007, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I always leave my laptop on the desk with the charger plugged in and I have never had a problem. Maybe I've been very lucky but in reading the 44 previous posts, nobody have had a laptop stolen so it doesn't look like a common occurence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.