Wiki Posts
Search

*n00b alert* How'd I do on my booking?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
*n00b alert* How'd I do on my booking?

Booked KSAN-EFHK (san diego-helsinki) via orbitz.com. Flying biz class.

Route To Helsinki July 25-26:
KSAN-KSFO: UA 900
KSFO-EDDF: UA 900(???)
EDDF-EFHK: AY 822

Route From Helsinki August 9:
EFHK-EDDM: LH Cityline 3111
EDDM-KSFO: LH 458
KSFO-KSAN: LH 9222 (operated by UA duh)

Did I do ok or will I be screwed on this routing? Just curious
Old May 8, 2007, 5:16 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by UCBeau
KSFO-KSAN: LH 9222 (operated by UA duh)

It would certainly help if you put the times in your post as well. Also, maybe it's just me, but I guess most people here are more familiar with the 3-letter airport codes... I'm certainly neither looking up the times nor the airport codes to answer this question.

HTB.
Old May 8, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: Peon in all
Same here. At first I was confused what airports were "KSAN" and "KSFO". I (and probably many others here) know San Diego as "SAN", etc...

The reason your flight from SFO-SAN is "LH9222 - operated by UA" is that the actual aircraft is a UA plane, but LH is selling some of it's seats as a LH "flight". I bet once you get to SFO, that same flight will say "UA###", "LH9222", "US###" - and maybe other "flights". I have seen my CO flight at IAH say "CO###", "DL###", "NW###", "AF###", "KL###" and other "flights" - but there was only 1 aircraft at the gate!

That is what is meant by an airline alliance. This way an airline can "fly" to a city they normally don't fly to. LH may not fly to SAN or PVD, but they may put an LH flight number on a UA or US flight. AF may not fly to ALB or ELP, but they may put a AF flight number on a DL or CO flight.

Some people may not want to fly on NW and connect to KL, but if they can purchase a NW "flight" from ROC-MAD (I'm just picking any cities), they may fly NW - even though a portion is on a KL aircraft!
Old May 8, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by the_traveler
Same here. At first I was confused what airports were "KSAN" and "KSFO". I (and probably many others here) know San Diego as "SAN", etc...
Is it really that hard to figure out? There are two common codes to identify an airport IATA and ICAO. IATA is the common way on this board, but the only difference between IATA and ICAO in most cases (United States) is ICAO adds a prefix K.
Old May 8, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
Is it really that hard to figure out? There are two common codes to identify an airport IATA and ICAO. IATA is the common way on this board, but the only difference between IATA and ICAO in most cases in ICAO adds a prefix K.
Helsinki's code that I'm familiar with is HEL, not EFHK. Also EDDF? I'm guessing without looking that that is FRA, but I don't know.

To the OP: What is the price for this itinerary? That will be the 'good deal or not' deciding factor. I see it is mostly *A except for the Finnair flight. Finnair does a good job on their short haul flights.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Is it really that hard to figure out? There are two common codes to identify an airport IATA and ICAO. IATA is the common way on this board, but the only difference between IATA and ICAO in most cases (United States) is ICAO adds a prefix K.
But these are International airports and FTers use IATA.

EDDF = FRA
EFHK = HEL
EDDM = MUC
Old May 8, 2007, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by etch5895
Helsinki's code that I'm familiar with is HEL, not EFHK. Also EDDF? I'm guessing without looking that that is FRA, but I don't know.
Good guess. I was more addressing the SAN/SFO point, but yes when we start talking about international airports IACO and IATA are going to differ significantly. IACO assigns each country a prefix, the U.S. is K, France for example is "LF" so CDG is LFPG.
Old May 8, 2007, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Sorry guys, I'm a Private Pilot so I instinctively use ICAO codes. It won't happen again, I promise!

The total with tax was 3200 USD.

Also sorry about flight times but I figured those would be unnecessary. In any case, here they are:
Going:

UA 900: Dep 10:55 Arr 12:20 *PST*
UA 900 (SFO-FRA): Dep 13:53 *PST* Arr 9:45 *GMT+3?*
AY 822 (FRA-HEL): Dep 10:45 *GMT+3?* Arr 14:10 *GMT+4?*

Coming:
LH 3111: Dep 13:05 *GMT+4* Arr 14:35 *GMT+3?*
LH 458: Dep 15:50 *GMT+3* Arr 18:40 *PST*
LH 9222: Dep 20:00 *PST* Arr 21:25 *PST*
Old May 8, 2007, 8:57 pm

Sorry guys, I'm a Private Pilot so I instinctively use ICAO codes. It won't happen again, I promise!
I had a feeling that was liekly, and that's how I know the IACO so well too. I knew what you were saying
Old May 8, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold

UA 900: Dep 10:55 Arr 12:20 *PST*
UA 900 (SFO-FRA): Dep 13:53 *PST* Arr 9:45 *GMT+3?*
AY 822 (FRA-HEL): Dep 10:45 *GMT+3?* Arr 14:10 *GMT+4?*
Be ready to race through FRA .... 1 hour connection, especially in the morning, will be really tight.
Old May 8, 2007, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schmare
Be ready to race through FRA .... 1 hour connection, especially in the morning, will be really tight.
I'll be wearing my jogging shoes for sure. I anticipated some hurrying would be necessary on this routing.
Old May 8, 2007, 10:13 pm

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
I'll be wearing my jogging shoes for sure. I anticipated some hurrying would be necessary on this routing.
Yeah, I don't want to cause any undue worry, but to be honest, I'm surprised the airlines offer a 1 hour connection. Remember that since both Germany and Finland are Schengen countries, you'll need to clear immigration in Frankfurt (and change terminals).

But you definitely have the advantage of being in biz class, which should offer shorter lines and less waiting!
Old May 8, 2007, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schmare
Yeah, I don't want to cause any undue worry, but to be honest, I'm surprised the airlines offer a 1 hour connection. Remember that since both Germany and Finland are Schengen countries, you'll need to clear immigration in Frankfurt (and change terminals).

But you definitely have the advantage of being in biz class, which should offer shorter lines and less waiting!
That's precisely what I'm counting on..well that and having dual citizenship with Finland and the USA, thereby having an EU passport.
Old May 8, 2007, 10:25 pm

I have also seen ICAO codes used to denote private/general aviation (e.g. flying out of a private airport in Los Angeles = KLAX)
Old May 9, 2007, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Mind explaining what your question is? What exactly does "screwed on this routing" mean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.