Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: Closing window shutters on EVERY long-haul flight

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2007, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Angry Rant: Closing window shutters on EVERY long-haul flight

Why do FAs do this? Is it to subdue PAX, just like turkeys in factory farms are kept in very dim lighting so as not to excite them?

It's very annoying when I'm not sleepy, and neither is anyone else in the cabin. A couple of days ago I was travelling ORD-LHR (dep 4pm local time, arr 6am local time) and the FA told me "We are closing the windows because it's daylight for the whole trip". No, it's not!

And I've noticed they do this on every airline I've travelled on flights to/from Asia and Europe, no matter which cabin I'm in.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Sit in the window seat and control you own window shade.

Problem solved!
Old May 3, 2007, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKEbound
Sit in the window seat and control you own window shade.
I do. But that doesn't stop them coming over and shutting it anyway. Then giving me stern looks and sometimes words (in J, not in F) when I reopen them.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:13 pm

I routinely see FAs asking window-seat pax to close their window shades on these flights. So, problem not quite solved
Old May 3, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
I sat in window seat on AF flight IAH-CDG a couple of years ago, couldn't sleep, we were probably 1 hr from landing so I inched the shade up a bit and FA came by and slammed the shade shut.....

I like shade open too.... I tend to be a little claustrophobic when all shades are shut.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Originally Posted by ttjoseph
I routinely see FAs asking window-seat pax to close their window shades on these flights. So, problem not quite solved
Isn't it so everyone can enjoy the in-flight-tainment?
Old May 3, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Same experience here. Was flying NW NRT-SEA late Oct, ETA 0645, sunrise 0645, was told to shut shade so not to "wake people up at sunrise". Hello! We're landing at sunrise and you idiots turn lights on ~80 minutes ahead to serve breakfast! (Must've been a FA who hadn't worked since Aug or been working NRT-LAX [sunrise way before arrival].)
Old May 3, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
It's usually too bright outside without any cabin lighting inside.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:45 pm

What can you say.

I like to control the shades and often keep them open. And at the same time it can be very annoying if light is shining in my eyes from someone else's open window shade.

I feel like a herded cow in an airliner anyway (even in F). So this just adds to the frustration.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Platinum
i would assume the brightness factor especially during early afternoon would cause distractions from whatever pax are doing including sleeping or watching the movie "loose change"
Old May 3, 2007, 12:48 pm

I like it when the shades are closed on flights...after all you do have a reading light if you want to use it.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:49 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Palal
It's usually too bright outside without any cabin lighting inside.
Opening the window shades helps with this. Seriously, though, light in the eyes when the sun is on the horizon can be annoying.

I sometimes try to sit on the side of the aircraft away from the sun so that this isn't a problem.
Old May 3, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by myfrogger
I like it when the shades are closed on flights...after all you do have a reading light if you want to use it.

I agree.

To me it makes sense that if you want light, and others don't, you can have personal, directed light from the overheads, but if you don't and others do, it's pretty annoying to have the shades open.

Of course you could wear a mask, but I find them annoying and more of a burden when I want dark, than a reading light is when I want light.
Old May 3, 2007, 1:04 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
I agree.

To me it makes sense that if you want light, and others don't, you can have personal, directed light from the overheads, but if you don't and others do, it's pretty annoying to have the shades open.
What if you want to look out the window?
Old May 3, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
I agree.

Of course you could wear a mask, but I find them annoying and more of a burden when I want dark, than a reading light is when I want light.
Thing is, some people like shades open because they are claustrophobic, some because they like to watch the scenario (whatever it may be: take-off, landing, oceans, islands, mountains, etc.), and I'd say only a few seeking a light source per se.

Having said that, I do think it's common courtesy to lower the shade if it's hitting someone right on their face. Especially is that person is trying to sleep.

BUT... if light bothers a passenger so much, I think he/she should spend $20 on a decent mask. Knowing you're that that sensitive and not being proactive about it is a bit silly (nb: this is not direct to the previous poster, so no offense)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.