Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll? What is your favorite airplane to travel on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Delta Gold

I'm partial to the old Boeing 727's. Fast and built like a tank.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MP
I'm gonna have to go with the Boeing 757s. Sleek. Sexy. Takes off like a bat out of hell. It's the Anna Kournikova of aircraft.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by xxrice
I'm partial to the old Boeing 727's. Fast and built like a tank.
Loved the 727s.... because they were one of the last few loud planes.

My favourite plane is the old 747-200. Flew them on NW
a couple of years ago. The small upper deck with the old
first class seats(but sold as WorldBusiness) are just great.
It's like flying in my own private jet, with only 12 people.
I was one of the only 3 people up there at the time.
(plus the 3 pilots who were in the cockpit)
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by jerry_pham
I'm gonna have to go with the Boeing 757s. Sleek. Sexy. Takes off like a bat out of hell. It's the Anna Kournikova of aircraft.
Interesting. FAs reportedly call 'em "slave ships" because of the narrow aisles which barely allow service carts to clear and I think because the galleys are so small -- no where to congregate and chat away from the pax, too, I might add. (Just kidding folks!) The reference is probably also to how this narrow body in particular hems in pax to/from the lavs.

I can't remember what pilots call 'em but in maintenance parlance I've heard "Wash and Wear" a few times.

# # #
Anyway, back to the OP's query. I prefer wide-bodies any day of the week. But if I'm forced to take a regional seg, I'll take an EMB (or death) over a CRJ (vile, vile little kites) every time.

My fave so far: UA's config on 747-400 aka 744 to many an FTer, especially for the much ballyhooed (upper deck) row 15. I'm partial to 15A, m'self, and I know PremEx is a fan of 15B. Last I heard ozstamps also prefers row 15.

This isn't to say I haven't immensely enjoyed my F and 2-class C seats on LH config A340 across the pond.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

There is still something exciting about boarding a 747.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:40 pm

Um for me it would be the Boeing 747, upperdeck...
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by essxjay
Interesting. FAs reportedly call 'em "slave ships" because of the narrow aisles which barely allow service carts to clear and I think because the galleys are so small -- no where to congregate and chat away from the pax, too, I might add. (Just kidding folks!) The reference is probably also to how this narrow body in particular hems in pax to/from the lavs.
Yeah, I guess beauty does have it's price. Bring up service carts though. It makes me FURIOUS to see when FA's have to backtrack or go forward all the way to the galley so someone can go to the lav, which probably isn't fun when they're working in the middle of a 757 where the galleys are at the extreme forward and rear of the aircraft. So my solution is...
Take out a seat every exit row so that a person could stand there and let the FA get of out the way. It would be a lot more efficient than having to lug that cart back and forth to the galley, and from what I can tell from their faces, they DO NOT like doing it. AND having one less seat at the exit row will make an emergency egress that much easier.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:05 pm

The L-1011 TriStar. Big, beautiful, and with that third engine, it looked so balanced. You just knew it was going to get you there. Every time I look out a window at ATL, I expect to catch a glimpse of one. Nothing will ever inspire as much confidence. Is it me, or was that thing quiet?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by Orchids
The L-1011 TriStar. Big, beautiful, and with that third engine, it looked so balanced. You just knew it was going to get you there. Every time I look out a window at ATL, I expect to catch a glimpse of one. Nothing will ever inspire as much confidence. Is it me, or was that thing quiet?
I agree. Quiet and stable. Nice plane. I miss it.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:20 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Smaller props (Dash8 100/200, Beech 1900, EMB-110, etc. etc.) IFF (that's "if and only if") the number of pax is less than half the aircraft capacity and the route is less than 1 hour. The flights are at lower levels, so the views are much better.

I'm quite partial to the 757's looks. That doesn't mean it's a pleasant ride.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Anyone else here been on some Avro planes? Avro 748s have given me some of the smoothest trips around.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:41 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by UAL747fan
Um for me it would be the Boeing 747, upperdeck...
Almost agree. Its the stairs that are the best... especially walking up or watching those downstairs looking up.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:19 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Orchids
Me, too. They had great stability and were very quiet. Maintenance hogs at the end, but really great planes to fly on.

ATA still operates a few - I often see one in ATA livery sitting outside the old DL tech ops building at DFW.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:25 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Nothing can compare to the Concorde. I flew BA from LHR-JFK after a QEII cruise in 1995. I flew AF from JFK-CDG after my AF flight (a DL codeshare) had to return to NYC after losing oil pressure in the port engine around Cape Cod. AF put F and J pax on Le Concorde the next morning. Unbelievable feeling on that a/c. Lucky to have flown it twice. Service much better on the BA flight.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
747...upper deck., It's like a private plane. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.