Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre hotel hallways

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Re:

At the Congress Hotel in Chicago, about 15 years ago, my wife and I were given a room with the fire escape located right outside the window. It was late at night and I didn't really think anything of it.

The next morning, I noticed the incredibly thin door panel (1/8" particleboard) and the signs in the hallway directing people to, in case of fire, kick in the door panel and run through it. My room was actually PART of the fire escape route.

You certainly wouldn't want that room if you had any valuables. And the visual of possibly waking up to 50 or 60 people in your room pushing and shoving their way out the window has stayed with me ever since.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:20 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson
At the Congress Hotel in Chicago, about 15 years ago, my wife and I were given a room with the fire escape located right outside the window. It was late at night and I didn't really think anything of it.

The next morning, I noticed the incredibly thin door panel (1/8" particleboard) and the signs in the hallway directing people to, in case of fire, kick in the door panel and run through it. My room was actually PART of the fire escape route.

You certainly wouldn't want that room if you had any valuables. And the visual of possibly waking up to 50 or 60 people in your room pushing and shoving their way out the window has stayed with me ever since.
I had that experience once is a small pub type hotel in Doncaster (Yorks) - thought at the time that this was unique but obviously not!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
My all time favorite "el weirdo" hotel hallway has to be the Royalton in NYC.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:37 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Hands down, its the Clarion in Millbrae, CA
What a *weird* place.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:44 am

Hotel Omm in Barcelona - very dark hallways dimly lit by light panels at the base of the walls and by the doors - according to their website

"The contrast between the dark passage and the light bedroom provokes an effect of revelation and surprise in the visitor."

Overall the rooms and the halls are a prime example of form over function and interesting for a short stay, but tiring over a longer stay.

Cheers,
Jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.