Reload this Page >

Passenger Size / Weight Limit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Size / Weight Limit

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 11:59 am

While this is not relevant if the airlines are exempt from ADA standards, here is an exerpt that is interesting:

Obesity Is Generally Not a Disability Covered by the ADA, but Morbid Obesity Is

"The ADA defines disability as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. Even if an obese person has difficulty performing the normal daily functions of living and working, he or she will not be considered disabled under the ADA unless the obesity substantially limits a major life activity.12 Major life activities can include everything from caring for ones self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and [even] working.13

The allegedly disabling condition must usually be a bona fide medical or psychological condition. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commissions ADA regulations clearly state that, absent exceptional circumstances, obesity does not meet the definition of a disability under the ADA.14 Thus, unless an individual who is just obese can show that his or her obesity is the result of a physiological impairment, being obese will probably not result in ADA protection. This means that obese people who are treated differently based upon their appearance alone will not enjoy the protections of the ADA.

However, the EEOC and courts have consistently included the more serious condition of morbid obesity within the definition of disability under the ADA. EEOC guidance documents clearly state that morbid obesity could be a protected disability as defined by the ADA, and federal courts have included morbid obesity within the category of medical conditions that impair major life activities. "

http://www.epexperts.com/modules.php...ticle&sid=1462
Old May 8, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Things in perspective.

Interesting article I read today. LaDainian Tomlinson (San Diego Chargers for you non-Football fans - American Football, not what we call soccer) is obese. 5'10" 221lbs -- 32 BMI.

I don't think anyone would say he had any form of disability.
Old May 8, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Those that dislike 'spilling' people - do you also dislike pregnant women? They frequently 'spill' (better that than breaking water!)
Um, yeah, some of us *do* dislike pregnant women. What of it?
Old May 8, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by trm2
Interesting article I read today. LaDainian Tomlinson (San Diego Chargers for you non-Football fans - American Football, not what we call soccer) is obese. 5'10" 221lbs -- 32 BMI.

I don't think anyone would say he had any form of disability.
-------------
What's his body fat %? 5? I daresay he's a pretty compact 221# and a lot of it is in his legs. Maybe if some of the heavy-set crowd exercised once in awhile and laid off nailing Sara Lee and Betty Crocker....
Old May 8, 2007, 3:24 pm

Javan - a lot of it is probably in his shoulders, and upper arms, thus infringing upon his neighbor

honeytoes - well be that way!
Old May 8, 2007, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by brookejohanna
i just wanted to say that both my husband and i are COSs. i am 5'7" and 315 i wear size 26-28 and only have trouble in the seats on the small flight i take every year from wichita to dallas. and then even my tothpick thin 10 year old thinks the seats are too small...
i'm that size and i've been just about shaking that i won't fit in the seat when i fly to england on continental in a couple of weeks. the plane is a 757 and i'm traveling with my 4yr old in the middle and my husband.

i was on the phone for nearly 30min with the csr at continental who absolutely ASSURED me that it didn't matter i was sitting next to a toddler; that if i wasn't able to put the armrest down i had to purchase an additional seat. at this point i'm about crazy that they would separate me from my child?!! and the website says if there aren't empty seats (there aren't) they can make you get off the flight. i can understand that continental says these are rules to protect passengers next to me. i would never want to infringe on a stranger. but who are they to protect my baby from me? i'll want to put my arm around him anyway.

i was going to order a seatbelt extension although i don't know if i'll need it but i'm so stressed that i can't even enjoy the anticipation of the trip. and we're travelling on memorial day so i think it will come down to the mood of whomever is stuck working that day?
Old May 8, 2007, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gia 2828
i'm that size and i've been just about shaking that i won't fit in the seat when i fly to england on continental in a couple of weeks. the plane is a 757 and i'm traveling with my 4yr old in the middle and my husband.

i was on the phone for nearly 30min with the csr at continental who absolutely ASSURED me that it didn't matter i was sitting next to a toddler; that if i wasn't able to put the armrest down i had to purchase an additional seat. at this point i'm about crazy that they would separate me from my child?!! and the website says if there aren't empty seats (there aren't) they can make you get off the flight. i can understand that continental says these are rules to protect passengers next to me. i would never want to infringe on a stranger. but who are they to protect my baby from me? i'll want to put my arm around him anyway.

i was going to order a seatbelt extension although i don't know if i'll need it but i'm so stressed that i can't even enjoy the anticipation of the trip. and we're travelling on memorial day so i think it will come down to the mood of whomever is stuck working that day?
One thing that occurs to me is that you are not guaranteed the seats that you've booked. If there's a cancellation or an equipment change, you very well may not wind up sitting next to each other. The concern may be if that happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.