Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Yeah, I can see everyone's points.

When I worked in corporate world, single room was absolutely the norm along with a rental car per person (in the USA) or no questions asked re: taxi fees (in Euro./Asian cities where car rental is overkill). There was no issue or question on these things whatsoever. Back in those days, I actually WAS a frequent traveler. (Hence my current name vicarious_MR'er -- most of my travels these days are leisure; I still love the stories and remember to good ol' days of business travel and elite qualifications, though, and get a real kick out of people's posts!).

If I travelled now as frequently as I did then (~50%), I would never tolerate a shared room. For two nights or so twice a year at our conventions, though, I can manage sharing or suck it up and chip in half to get a single. (When I go to a development conference or other such, I'm usually alone, so the topic doesn't arise then.)

Likewise though, the non-profit world has far more to offer than single vs. double hotel rooms, so it's really hard to compare vs. corporate.
When I look at things like my company's the laid-back atmosphere, the guaranteed (non-match) 10% retirement contribution, and the wildly generous amount of paid time off, 100% paid medical, etc., I figure that the potential for sharing a hotel room for four nights a year with a colleague of MY choosing is a small price to pay!!

: )
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I do feel a bit of culture is coming out. Apart from the "Asian" propensity I've noted, I feel its more common in the US than in the UK. I really can't think many Brits would share a room or be expected to, whatever their level in a company...

Maybe its a geographical thing - the US being bigger and with cheaper hotels (??) its more normal for lower grades to travel and overnight as part of their job - whereas Brits are home by bed time.

Or could it be a youth culture thing - the UK hasn't really latched on to the whole summer camp thing - so kids are less used to staying away with people they don't know so well... whereas young US business travellers have some preparation from their youth?

Not sure about the rest of Europe.. seems the latins share more from my casual observation.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:27 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Or could it be a youth culture thing - the UK hasn't really latched on to the whole summer camp thing - so kids are less used to staying away with people they don't know so well... whereas young US business travellers have some preparation from their youth?
No, but certainly among my group of friends, budget travel (interrailing, gap year working holidays in the Antipodes, etc, etc) is the norm form mid-teens to mid-twenties. Not to mention the Saturday night back-to-mine-music-drink-and-crash-on-the-sofa. I've slept in dorms, on school halls full of mattresses, in cars, in the luggage rack of a train, in a ferry's porthole ledge... I even remember the joy of sleeping rough in the woods to wake up with a faceful of slugs and snails...

But not now. It's fun when you're younger, it's fun when it's your own time and your own money. But when you're over 30, in a long-term relationship and used to the comforts that your current salary can afford... You expect comfort when you're sent away, and that includes privacy. And given the job market in my sector, the employers need the employees as much as vice-versa...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
It only happened once, 18 years ago. I told my roomie-to-be that I snored loudly and he found another roomie, leaving me in a single.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
In my business travels, I find that quite a few companies require their rank and file employees who travel to share hotel rooms on business trips. Not only have I met people who work in start-ups, non-profits, and other types of smaller businesses who I suspect could be more subject to such a policy, but have encountered workers from well-known firms headquartered on Fifth Avenue in NYC subject to such an edict.
Never, even as a graduate trainee, and I would most probably refuse to do so.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ladiflier
A class operation when it comes to taking care of it's people when they travel.
This topic helps remind me why this matters so much. Any company that expects room sharing doesnt have their employees interests in mind and that would be a company that I wouldnt be working for anymore.

I've never had to even consider sharing a room on travel (with the exception of my wife) and I would probably stop traveling after the first time my employer asked me to. But then again the customers we deal with ask for me by name now and I get a little extra leeway as a result
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:14 am

I agree that this sounds like something you'd do in your twenties and think it is really fun, espeically if you are buddies with your friends at work, but into your 30s and beyond, um, no. And like people have said, is that just a recipe for a lawsuit or what? I work for an employment law firm and I can't even tell you how many frivolous lawsuits we defend against for far lesser things than this would afford.

But in my younger days I was a flight attendant and we had a commuter aparmtnet in Houston with six of us (guys and girls) in a one bedroom apartment. We were hardly ever there at the same time, but once or two all six of us were there and boy, when you are young and in those closed spaces. Look out. Ah, good times....
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by majorwibi
Any company that expects room sharing doesnt have their employees interests in mind and that would be a company that I wouldnt be working for anymore.
Same here. That goes for everything from fear of assault or abuse, to talking in your sleep with your roomie listening in, to having to "dress for bed" when you normally don't, to having a virtual stranger see you in your underwear or less, to being teased for snoring or making unbecoming nightmare noises, to being second for the bathroom in the morning and picking your way through that virtual stranger's steam, stray hairs, fumes, dirty towels and laundry, potions and liniments.

It is an unreasonable invasion of personal space and privacy and it's where I draw the line. I am happy to stay in a more economical / midrange hotel, I don't really see the value in (or take advantage of amenities at) five-star hotels, but I won't share. A company that makes you do it is almost literally making you take off your clothes in front of strangers. It bespeaks lack of respect.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Our company policy requires single rooms UNLESS a shortage of available rooms at the property requires some folks to double up - then you get to pick your roommates. Some grumbling, but I can't see a more practical solution.
This is fair. Basically what I've had through most of my career, although one ex-employer tried to get cheap every once in a while.

Every now and then we're asked to share an apartment or suite, which is okay with seperate sleeping and bath areas.

My observation and experience is when employees are forced to "double up", whatever companies think they're gaining in short-term savings is more than offset by higher stress and potential lower productivity on the part of the employee. This is especially true at trade shows and similar events.

Bean counters'/bosses glee notwithstanding, I feel this is most often a totally counterproductive practice on top of being something of an unfair invasion of employees' privacy.

Last edited by cyberdad; Feb 14, 2007 at 11:28 am Reason: grammar
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:23 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Never been asked to share a room, and its not a policy at my work place, but
on social trips, we often do.

If I had to share it with somebody, I wouldn't mind if I knew the person well... someone who is a friend outside of the work environment.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
I once had to share a room with my boss! Two things were awkward: 1 - walking in late smelling of alcohol when your boss is asleep. 2 - Seeing your boss in pajamas. (I don't work there anymore).
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Since I am self-employed and the only one who travels for business in my company, no.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Platinum
When I worked for the government in the 80's we had to sometimes stay in BOQ's or Navy Lodges on military bases, when we weren't classified as 50% travelers. Sometimes you had to share a bathroom. Some were so terrible that sometimes I would stay off base at a Holiday Inn or Best Western at the government/military rate and pay the difference out of my own pocket.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
I don't think it's a huge issue for employees to share rooms when they are straight out of college. My first job was mostly newly minted college graduates and sharing a room was required...it became almost an extension of college.

I think if you are under 25-28; sharing a room is not such a big deal. If you want your own room, pay for half.

Now over 30, I think this is when you have earned a little and shouldn't be forced to share, unless you got some other travel benefit, like increased meal allowance or something to that effect.

Now, since I am over 30 and I own my business, I don't share...but if there was a crunch on hotel rooms and an employee needed a room, I would open up.

Whenever, I have traveled for personal or volunteer organizations, I try to double up to save cost. Recently, a friend of mine got married at Disney World and I roomed with a frat brother whom I never really knew (he was 8 years younger than me), but we got along fine and we saved half the cost. Also, sometimes I travel for an organization I volunteer for and they have a sharing policy, once I roomed with a guy, brand new and he was cool and it was fine and the other time I brought my fiancee and I paid for half.

- HF
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:38 am
ACB

I would quit if I were asked to share a room with a colleague. Good friends on party trips, yes, co-workers, absolutely not. I have a medical issue that I can keep hidden during the day, but not at night, and that stress alone would drive me to tears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.