Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations - NEED HELP

I am getting married in December and we would like to do a 2 week honeymoon starting on 12.27.07. I am trying to come up with 5 choices and I know this board is full of frequent travelers, so I thought I would seek the thoughts of FTers. The more specific you can be with the location (hotels to stay in, rooms to ask for, etc. the better it will make it for me).

Here are the details to work with.

1) Can spend $10,000 - $15,000 (obv. would like it to be at the low end)
2) Do not have hotel status
3) Am a Premier Ex on United
4) Have about 100k United miles
5) Willing to travel anywhere and even do several side trips
6) She does not like to snow ski

I look forward to your suggestions and will let everyone know what we choose.

Last edited by winelover; Feb 5, 2007 at 7:37 am
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: AS,UA
1. Hawaii - Stay at one of the Four Seasons but that would blow all your budget on hotel
2. Paris
3. New York - It's beautiful around the holidays
4. Tahiti,or Fiji
5. Austrailia or New Zealand
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:53 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Here: http://www.etumoana.com/
See the #1 here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html

Air NZ to RAR, Air Rarotonga www.airrarotonga.com to AIT

Highly recommended. Can easily stay under $10k for a week inc. coach airfare (forget J unless upgrading).

BTW: This is Aitutaki in the Cook Islands (www.ck for info).

Edit: For two weeks I would include a week in Rarotonga. Rent a house (can be had for <$150/day) and car (<$50/day for a convertible). Still under $10k.

Last edited by ralfp; Feb 5, 2007 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta
Fiji, find a secluded island. Stay away from the hotel chains, find a private resort that employs native Fijians you won't regret it. We stayed at octopus resort on Waya Island and loved it. It's a little rustic but just incredible. There are plenty of fancier resorts in Fiji as well, just get off the main island and away from the cities. Of all my travels thus far this is the only place I have to go back to before I die.

http://www.octopusresort.com/

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

If you don't want snow, then I would advise against Europe. Hawaii, especially the high end resorts seem terribly overpriced to me, and just not that special. So I'd second the South Pacific recommendation, but I never liked Fiji. I think French Polynesia would be a good option, Huahine, Bora Bora, and perhaps a more remote island. Nothing beats an overwater bungalow. This would probably be doable within the lower end of your budget when using Luxurylink and flying coach, or at the upper end in Biz (watch for TN sales).
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bora Bora tops my list.........and congrads on tying the knot.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Congratulations.

Another vote for Rarotonga, and more specifically the outer islands (eg Aitutaki). Air NZ recommences LAX-RAR service from April (or you could fly via AKL). There should be decent award availability.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the routing going to be LAX-HNL-RAG-AKL like it used to be where flight would get into AKL around early afternoon?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:46 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Congratulations.

Another vote for Rarotonga, and more specifically the outer islands (eg Aitutaki). Air NZ recommences LAX-RAR service from April (or you could fly via AKL). There should be decent award availability.
AFAIK the service now (NZ 22/23) is still LAX-PPT-RAR 3 times a week. Don't fly via AKL unless you want the miles. Way too much extra time.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

top 5
-Maldives
-East Asia
-Caribbean
-palatial villa rental elsewhere
-yacht charter

bottom 5
-metropolitan areas
-cruise
-Hawaii
-South Pacific
-Greece

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 5, 2007 at 10:09 pm
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ralfp
AFAIK the service now (NZ 22/23) is still LAX-PPT-RAR 3 times a week. Don't fly via AKL unless you want the miles. Way too much extra time.
From April LAX-PPT-RAR is gone. LAX-RAR nonstop will be the service instead.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I would recommend something in southern and/or eastern Africa. For most people, it usually is a "trip of a lifetime" (in other words, they might never do it again) and this fits well with a memorable honeymoon IMHO. It is a trip you will most likely never forget if you do not imagine yourself getting to Africa often in the future.

With the miles, you could fly UA and LH to South Africa, although probably not in a premium cabin. Unfortunately, flights to Africa tend to be expensive, even in economy.

Nice thing about Africa, however, is that it is fairly cheap once you get there. Only the very pinicle of resorts/hotels/lodges is as or more expensive than similar holidays in more developed countries.

The many choices of game lodges and safari oppurtunities in southern Africa are legendary for their impeccable service and attention to detail, and they will treat you extra nice as a newly-married couple. You will not be disappointed. And with that much to spend, you can pretty much be guaranteed of a very luxurious and rewarding wildlife experience without having to do much scrapping around for deals (although they do exist).

You could also combine it with some time at the beach in and around Durban/Saint Lucia or in Mozambique (if you are more adventurous; the beaches there are mild-boggeling and absolutely beautiful, and prices are dead low). Cape Town is also not far, and offers a great city with a long history, combined with the romance of a nice wine country. The Garden Route, a beautiful stretch of coast just to the east, is only a day's drive away from the Cape.

If you need more details, just PM me (or anybody else you know with experience in southern Africa).

Oh, and I also would recommend the Maldives.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:15 pm

Fiji and the Cooks are nice places, but for a New Years trip it is going to be hot (as in brutally) since both of these places are in the tropics, and it will be the height of the summer season. Same for Tahiti-except Tahiti will cost alot more

New Zealand would be a good bet.

So would Patagonia (Southern South America)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
You might also try Abercrombie and Kent, a luxury adventure tour operator. The tours they operate seem to be quite unique (I hear they are one of the few companies allowed to send tourists to Bhutan), and they are know for exotic tours.

Although they do arrange tours, they are not of the Club Med variety. I've never been on one myself, but people I know have; they claim A&K is very good and top quality. Prices are also very high, but some tours would be in your budget. You would have the convenience of having everything except flight arranged for you as well.

Might want to give them a look. http://www.abercrombiekent.com/
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i doubt A&K has many (if any) good tours for only $7500pp though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.