Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Going to China in June, when can I apply for a visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Greetings everyone,

I'm heading over to PEK from YVR in June and I was wondering when I would be able to apply for a Chinese visa? I've already purchased my ticket but I've heard that I have to apply 3 months before departure. The problem is that the Chinese Embassy is in another city and the only time that I'd be able to make it to their offices is within the next few days. Would they not issue me a visa if I went at this time?

I won't be able to call the Chinese Embassy for another 2 days (due to work and their office hours) but I need to start making arrangements for getting to the offices in Vancouver so I thought I'd ask FT

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Platinum)
The three-month deal sounds correct - I got a visa last December for travel in January and it had a "valid if entry is before" date. Sounds like a call to your nearest Chinese consulate will be the definitive source for info. Plus I think most are able to arrange visas by express mail courier so you might not have to travel there personally to apply.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:59 am

Chinese visas issued at the Toronto consulate are good for entry within six months of the issue date.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but it sounds like you're worried that you have to apply well in advance - in fact the oppsite is true.

As long as you have visa in hand before flight time, you're OK. And you can get a visa issued in as little as a few hours if you pay the requisite rush fees.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your answers!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
There are also services that will process your visa for you. When I went, my company used a service in New York that could process in as little as three days, including Fedex time. Search "Chinese Visa" and you will find several firms. If you know you are only going once and once only, a single entry will suffice. I would recommend getting a six month, multiple entry. There is no additional cost. If you get a single entry, and go to Hong Kong after visiting China, you cannot get back to mainland China on that visa. My first visa was single entry; every one after that was multiple or resident.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From their website:

Visa Validity and Duration of Stay

Usually the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry "L" visa is 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue. This means the holder of the visa shall enter China no later than 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue, otherwise the visa is expired and is null and void. The duration of stay of a "L" visa is 30 days, which means the holder of the visa may stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry.The visa officer may extend the Duration of Stay if the applicant needs and requests a stay in China for more than 30 days.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:34 pm

Thanks for the "official" info cordeli. I am considering trip within China and if price difference is modest, would elect for multi-entry over the 180 period. Do you know about prices?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.