Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row rules...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:57 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Specifically those non-English speaking pax. Who give this dumb look when the FA asks them if they can do the job. It isn't till a co-pax (not necessarily sitting with them) says in their native tongue to just say yes
Along those lines:

Has anyone here ever been removed from an exit row on a airline from a non-English speaking country because they didn't speak the local language?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:21 am
ob1

Programs: United GS
Thereīs an additional question I have relating to International flights...
I select ER for extra space (which BTW is not so in my assessemtn on European carriers???)
I donīt speak other languages well enough to understadn everything but it seems the requirement despite being in a foreign country with another langauge is a requirement to speak English?
In the US itīs English or else move.
IS that true or should I have been moved out of my exit row in Europe?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
We could add a few more rules into the pot. I saw a somewhat dodgy documentary about how to survive a plane crash. It claimed that non-car users and those travelling alone have better than average chances.

Apparently car users get confused by seat belts in an emergency and tend to try and release themselves the same as they would in a car - ie by pushing something rather than lifting the buckle. I can believe this... I've often seen frustrated pax unable to work out how to open the thing.

People travelling alone tend to be focused on their escape and survival. Those with family help each other and end up delaying each other (so its claimed).

So perhaps those in the exit seat should be non-car using lone travellers. At the right time they will be able to get out of their seat and focus on opening the door.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by ob1
Thereīs an additional question I have relating to International flights...
I select ER for extra space (which BTW is not so in my assessemtn on European carriers???)
I donīt speak other languages well enough to understadn everything but it seems the requirement despite being in a foreign country with another langauge is a requirement to speak English?
In the US itīs English or else move.
IS that true or should I have been moved out of my exit row in Europe?
English is the lingua franca of air travel (which is why all cockpit / tower communications is in English). Hence the requirement for being able to speak English (and not necessarily the native language of the carrier's country of origin) in order to sit in the Exit Row.

Originally Posted by jimbo99
So perhaps those in the exit seat should be non-car using lone travellers. At the right time they will be able to get out of their seat and focus on opening the door.
A variation of this rule is already in place; travellers who are travelling with small children are not allowed to sit in the Exit row - even when their children are in seperate rows.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
Thumbs up

I was on a CO Express flight a few months ago. When the FA asked us the usual...Are you willing to assist?? etc...One guy said "absolutely not!" We were all flabergasted. I don't think any of us had ever heard anyone say that before. The FA promptly moved him.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I think its the 737-700's that have a handle to pull and the door springs outward automatically. No heavy lifting.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 8:14 pm

I can't even remember which airlines or which flights asked each exit row passenger if they felt they could handle the rules, but many of the flights that I have been on do.( I only fly about 6-10 times a year) Not that they demand proof, but ask all in the exit row seats. . I am a 50 year ( not old or young) woman,5'4" and while I might have a harder time lifting 40 lbs. above my head, would have no problem performing any exit row duties. And I definitely have the ability to keep my head straight in an emergency. Instinct ( Maybe they should seat mothers and grandmothers in all exit seats ) Courtesy, also sometimes plays into this. If a women works to lift a bag, most will help before asked.( A good thing:-: )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.