Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do you tip when hotel corrects its mistake

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:37 am
Original Poster

How much do you tip when hotel corrects its mistake

I suppose I've phrased the question in such a way as to elicit a knee-jerk response: "Never!" And that's the answer I would have given. But here's an all-too-common situation where I find myself hard-pressed to follow my own "Never".

It's 1:00AM. I just checked in. There's no iron in my room, there's supposed to be an iron in my room, and I need an iron. Obviously, this is the hotel's mistake. And it's highly unlikely that the offending party (i.e., housekeeping) is available to remedy the problem. So the hotel rouses someone else on the 'sleepy shift' to track down, test and deliver your iron. And perhaps this assigned task is carried out swiftly and cheerfully by a guy in a jumpsuit with his name sewn on the pocket. (Description here just to make clear that sometimes even people in non-customer service jobs can deliver!)

There's no way I can send the guy away without a hearty thank you, and the temptation to reward him further is strong. (Think he'd like the fruit basket they left me?)

And you?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:15 am

two dollars
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:35 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Here is last years thread on the exact same topic.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
Here is last years thread on the exact same topic.
Thank you. Missed it last year and with today's search.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:00 am

On a recent stop over in Vancouver, I noted that the airlines had put a significant rip in the case I carry my flyrods in. (The case is over 20 years old and needs replacement). So, I asked for an "industrial strength" stapler at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport hotel. 30minutes later it was delivered. Worth the CD$5 that I gave as tip. I'm sure the bell cap guy is not on the higher pecking levels when it comes to salary.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:38 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
depends on the situation

Nothing if I request an item that should be standard in room. If it's something not standard, but an afterthought I'd tip a couple of dollars.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
good question but I generally do enjoy it when someone FIXES a problem. It's better than if they just denied you the iron claiming you never asked for one or something. I would probably throw the guy a few bucks and nicely inform him that he needs to talk to management on my behalf about this kind of thing. After all, (assuming this was the kind of hotel that caters to Biz travelers who need irons) you checked into this hotel because it caters to biz travelers who need irons! He helped, and probably needs the money, but the establishment did not cut it. (of course it could all be a conspiracy where they make mistakes on purpose in order to generate more tips like this! )

MM
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:22 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
My answer would be a general NEVER. But I suppose we're talking about the US again?

The US is in love with tipping... so the answer is probably tip when they do it right, tip when the do it wrong, and tip when they don't do it at all.

Met a US guy in a Saigon restaurant the other day. He told me how he'd been "told off" for tipping so much in Vietnam. He said he couldn't help it "because its my culture and I think these people need my help".

Think I won't tip in the US any more. If anyone asks, I'll say "because its my culture and I think these people need my help".

(fortunately I don't go there often...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.