Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had an Formula-1 style take off?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 6:34 pm
MSP

Programs: NW Worldperks, AAdvantage, HHonors, SPG, National EC
My best would have to be from MSP-ORD on a AA 738 with about 10 pax. The 738 was subbed in at ORD for F100 mx issue, and was apparently in a hurry to get home. We taxied and took off so fast that the safety video wasn't even half done by the time we were wheels up-and it started during pushback! I later learned that we'd been up to 37000ft and completed the trip in only 38 mins!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
SNA and old HKG

The takeoffs from SNA still alarm me for a split second when the engines taper off after the steep climb. I guess it's the thought that goes through my head, "wait, what happened...the engines are still on right? "

As a kid, I used to remember the takeoffs from HKG's old Kai Tak airport. The 747's pilot would stand on the brake and rev the engines up for the short runway. I think that would probably be my best recollection of what the OP was talking about.

Steve

Originally Posted by AdrianVanzulli
John Wayne Airport is a great place if you want your kids to feel like they're in the space shuttle. I work right across the street and can tell you that every single flight is like this. Goes up at about a 55 degree angle or so, until the plane is over the ocean, then it will taper off quite a bit.

Now the landings at John Wayne...if you don't pay attention, you'll be face first into the seat back in front of you.

Cheers,

Adrian
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: hhonors
7,000 fpm?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AdrianVanzulli
Goes up at about a 55 degree angle or so, until the plane is over the ocean
55 degree climb? Are you talking about an F16?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Noise abatement

Originally Posted by zjbell

There are noise abatement rules in effect at SNA. Aircraft have to takeoff and climb at a steep angle (not sure if it is 55 degrees, but sure seems like it.) The county has microphones scattered around the areas just south of the runway to check for noise.

Steve
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:46 pm

More like 18-22 degress for an airliner at a very light weight
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never been on anything that's approached 55 degrees. I think I'd have to get one of those back-seat MiG rides for that. ^

Flying out of DCA on a 757 is fun - they usually gun it pretty good for the short runway.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: A few
Yes, that was probably an exageration, but once you've experienced it, you'd swear it was shuttle-esque. I dare you to try to walk towards the front of the plane during take-off. Not only would the flight attendants freak out, they'd probably start placing bets to see how far back you'd roll down the aisle.

Cheers,

Adrian

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've never been on anything that's approached 55 degrees. I think I'd have to get one of those back-seat MiG rides for that. ^

Flying out of DCA on a 757 is fun - they usually gun it pretty good for the short runway.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
If you think DCA is fun, try flying Continental out of BRS (Bristol, UK). The runway at BRS is about 300ft shorter than DCA's 6,869ft; Runway 27 slopes upward until the last part that falls away.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:46 pm

The other day I ferried a 747-200 from HKG to SXZ. Its about a 15 min flight across the bay and we had very little gas onboard. Our normal takeoff weight is 833,000 lbs, that night we were at about 365,000. The 200,000 lbs of thrust coming from those GE engines made it get up and go or as we like to say climbed like a raped ape. Even though I had the throttles pulled way back (FLEX power) for t/o we shot up over 6000 feet per min. So the level off at 4500 ft came very quickly. I dont think we used more than 3000 ft of runway. Needless to say the flight was so short it was a handful that night and I dont recall ever have the throttles ever pulled back that far for cruise.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:22 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by WHBM
Just to clarify ......

Pilots don't just gun the throttles or pull a climb for the hell of it. There is a standard speed on climbout to be followed. With a precalculated throttle setting you achieve this speed by adjusting your elevator. So if the 737 was going to climb out at say 150 kts, if it is lighter in weight you just pull a bit more elevator and go up more steeply, but still at 150 kts.

Control airspeed with elevator, rate of climb/descent with throttle. I know this initially sounds backwards but that is how it is done.
I'm typing this from behind the power curve!!

--PP
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stevechin
There are noise abatement rules in effect at SNA. Aircraft have to takeoff and climb at a steep angle (not sure if it is 55 degrees, but sure seems like it.) The county has microphones scattered around the areas just south of the runway to check for noise.

Steve
I'm aware of SNA's abatement procedure.

I can give you a detailed description for normal departure procedure from SNA if you need a clue.

Seems like 55 degrees of climb?

Not even close.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jwillett13
The other day I ferried a 747-200 from HKG to SXZ. Its about a 15 min flight across the bay and we had very little gas onboard. Our normal takeoff weight is 833,000 lbs, that night we were at about 365,000. The 200,000 lbs of thrust coming from those GE engines made it get up and go or as we like to say climbed like a raped ape. Even though I had the throttles pulled way back (FLEX power) for t/o we shot up over 6000 feet per min. So the level off at 4500 ft came very quickly. I dont think we used more than 3000 ft of runway. Needless to say the flight was so short it was a handful that night and I dont recall ever have the throttles ever pulled back that far for cruise.
Hopefully in flight simulator.

Wow, that was one heck of a 15 minute cruise at 4,500 msl.

Do you cruise the 742 at 4,500 often?

Last edited by zjbell; Jan 7, 2007 at 2:40 am
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:43 am

Programs: A few
My guestimation was exagerated, yes, but in all honestly it's probably a 20+ degree ascension, which is still quite shocking if you aren't expecting it.

Cheers,

Adrian

I'm aware of SNA's abatement procedure.

I can give you a detailed description for normal departure procedure from SNA if you need a clue.

Seems like 55 degrees of climb?

Not even close.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Smile

7,000 fpm?
Pilot came out of the cockpit to thank each of us for flying with them on X-mas day. I asked him the climb rate during take off and he said "7,000 per minute". Since he had mentioned earlier in his PA that our cursing alt will be "40,000 feet" and I don't think it is safe for 737-900 to shoot up 7,000 meters per minute, I have to assume the climb rate was 7,000 FEET per minute.

I told him that I was timing him, he revs his engines for 10 seconds and used only 13 seconds of the runway for the take off. He revealed that he didn't use full power and it would have been much shorter if he release his breaks completely.

"Airport was slightly fogged in, so it is always good to get out of the fog as fast as we can, but I do this mainly it is fun!". This was a direct quote from the captain!

I will have to make it back to SNA to compare with this 13 seconds take off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.