Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had an Formula-1 style take off?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by L-1011
What the OP describes sounds like the normal take-off from SNA. Short runway and noise sensitive neighbors make for a very interesting take-off. .
I seem to remeber one of those the last time I flew out of there.

I enjoyed a "brake stand" start in a corporate jet out of Cheyenne, WY - about 105 F ambient, short runway, tall mountains.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
757s are always good for that. Really quite overpowered for their weight.

ORD-STL, ~250nm, AA 757-200, probably 60 pax onboard. We took off like a bat out of hell. The pilots were still grinning ear to ear as we were deplaning. I'd venture to guess that's one of AA's shorter 757 routes.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
A Formula-1 style takeoff is fine, as long as they don't try a LeMans start.

3.2.3.3 LeMans START - A LeMans start is defined as a start where the vehicles are parked diagonally on one side of the race course, while the racers line up on the other side of the track. At the start of the race, the riders run to their vehicles, get in, and proceed onto the course. Push assists are not permitted. However, if any vehicle is unstable at low speeds, a single assistant is permitted to stabilize the vehicle for not more than 15 meters. The same assistant may also assist the rider in getting into the vehicle, closing canopies, etc.

3.2.3.3.1 Assisted LeMans Start. An assisted LeMans start is defined to be the same as a LeMans Start, except that a single assistant is permitted to assist the rider in getting into the vehicle and getting underway.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Had an interesting one just over a year ago. Flew back from BRU with my father on a BD A320. The airport had been closed due to snow for a couple of hours so we were late leaving. As we taxied out the captain said that due to the fact the runway was only partially cleared we'd be using 110% power on takeoff. I was surprised, as was my father who worked doing oil trials on aircraft for some time during the late 1970s...Takeoff was rapid to say the least ^

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
A Formula-1 style takeoff is fine, as long as they don't try a LeMans start.
LMAO

I have a vision of loads of aircraft parked about 300ft from the terminal and lines of people running for the aircraft....ever seen boarding for a Ryanair flight?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: NW-Plat, PC-Gold, SPG Gold, National Exec.
I was lucky and got to fly in a Gulfstream V. That was definately the fastest and steepest takeoff I've ever experienced.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Sure. On Concorde. Though to be fair, calling it a "Formula-1 style take off" would probably be a downgrade.
SAT Lawyer, I too have experienced what you described. In my case, the flight was aboard a regular scheduled DFW-IAD Braniff crewed Concorde. The pilot announced just before take off that unless we were former military fighter pilots we would be experiencing the most intense acceleration (g force) we would likely experience in our lives...he was correct and I remember it to this day. What a blast...pun intended.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by 747LWW
SAT In my case, the flight was aboard a regular scheduled DFW-IAD Braniff crewed Concorde. The pilot announced just before take off that unless we were former military fighter pilots we would be experiencing the most intense acceleration (g force) we would likely experience in our lives...he was correct and I remember it to this day. What a blast...pun intended.
And what a shame it will never be experienced again because of one crash... but maybe that was more an excuse than a reason...
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
That is SOP out of my home airport, BGM, short runway, on a mountain, always run up engines with breaks engaged and leave the ground fast.

Also agree SNA is a pretty cool take off.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Sure. On Concorde. Though to be fair, calling it a "Formula-1 style take off" would probably be a downgrade.
I agree! I flew from JFK to LHR and the takeoff from JFK (on 31L) is nothing but fun. As soon as she had positive climb, the immediate left turn added a bit of excitement to the rocket launch.

31L takeoff
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by simongr
And what a shame it will never be experienced again because of one crash... but maybe that was more an excuse than a reason...
Retirement of Concorde wasn't directly related to the crash.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Retirement of Concorde wasn't directly related to the crash.
Only those behind the scenes in BA and AF management and at Airbus will know the real reasons, but I strongly suspect that the crash and its aftermath played a decisive role in the premature demise of Concorde. Quite clearly, AF lost the will and desire to operate Concorde and BA, which had an unblemished safety record, was caught in the crossfire. I suspect BA would have been happy to continue to operate Concorde for a number of years after the expensive post-crash modifications had been completed, but AF clearly did not want to leave BA as the world's only Concorde operator and saw that BA's birds were grounded forever as well with an assist from Airbus.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: A few
John Wayne Airport is a great place if you want your kids to feel like they're in the space shuttle. I work right across the street and can tell you that every single flight is like this. Goes up at about a 55 degree angle or so, until the plane is over the ocean, then it will taper off quite a bit.

Now the landings at John Wayne...if you don't pay attention, you'll be face first into the seat back in front of you.

Cheers,

Adrian

Originally Posted by L-1011
What the OP describes sounds like the normal take-off from SNA. Short runway and noise sensitive neighbors make for a very interesting take-off. My kids used to call it the "Delta Express Elevator". They don't keep the speed and thrust up very long, though. After a while (I forget what altitude, 3000 ft maybe?) they slow down and level off until they are over the Pacific, then it is a normal climb from there.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
This is also SOP in TGU (Tegucigalpa, Honduras). Short runway, middle of city, sloping downhill. It's a E-ticket ride both in and out, especially on a 757.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: LH FTL
LX A319 FRA-ZRH on sunday morning: 6-8 Pax on board. It was such a steep and powerful take-off that I accidently ripped my newspaper in parts. no kidding.^ ^
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
had it a few times - but worse than that was a landing on aero mexico in puerto vallarta before continuing to cabo... it was a steeeeeeep descent with a steep banking turn and right as the wings level out i see we're 10 feet above the ground and bam we land. the woman behind me was more or less screaming dios dios me dios repeatedly. in retrosepct, funny. then, scary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.