Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

OK, Just who are these people? People buying Hotel accessories?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK, Just who are these people? People buying Hotel accessories?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
I was at a hotel in Guangzhou that listed everything in the room with prices. right down to the toilet roll holder I spent the next 4 nights trying to work out why this was such a special toilet roll holder.....unfortunatley the answer eluded me.
I had a price list like that at a hotel in SGN. I think I may even have taken a photo - it amused.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
The five best nights of sleep I got last year were at the Sofitel in Paris. Best bed I've ever slept in! I don't have enough space for the bed (it doesn't come any smaller than queen, too big for my Manhattan apartment), but I'm thinking about buying the pillows.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:41 am

I normally roll my eyes at that kind of thing, but I have to admit that we were on a Carnival cruise a few months ago and they're pushing their new bedding line pretty hard and I was tempted.

I did almost buy the pillows and duvet cover, they were really nice, but then reality hit me in the head and I remembered that I have a similar duvet in a different color that I got as a wedding gift and there's no way I'd put a white duvet on my bed due to my large and sometimes grimy orange cat.

I also have a robe from Treasure Island in Vegas, but it was a gift because I got married there.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I bought a robe once. It was a fair price and fit me well.

Tried to buy a set of glasses at some boutique hotel (forgot which). They were really cool and had the room number engraved on them (each room had distinct glasses). Thought at the time that it would be neat to have glasses with my house number on them. Called the number but found out that they could only supply glasses with numbers that matched one of their actual room numbers, and my house wasn't one of them. In retrospect, its probably just as well.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Last March I stayed in a Hampton Inn with brand new matress' (trailer was out side my window, old ones in a hallway near check-in) I had a great night sleep and everyone at the breakfast area seemed awake, refreshed, and pleasant (never seen that before). I purchased a simular new matress from the same matress manufacturer last month based on my experiences with Hampton Inn and other Hilton Hotels and love it. I wouldn't mind one of those board thingies Hampton places on on the bed so you can write on so I don't get third degree burns from my laptop at home while watching TV.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by grouse
It's a subtle way of informing people what the price is if they steal these items.
That's what I've always assumed they were about...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
OK, I'll own up to it, too. I bought one of those Westin bathrobes after wearing one for the first time several years back.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:15 pm
boa

Programs: UA 1MM and constantly changing status in a bunch of Hotel programs
Originally Posted by underpressure
I am in a Hampton Inn right now, on the bed was the "HI Home Collection" placard that offers everything from shower curtain rods to alarm clocks.

Who are these folks who get home and say, "Ya know hon, I enjoy traveling so much, let's make the master bedroom look like a hotel room."
When I hear designers or homeowers on redecorating shows say they want their bedroom to look like a 5-star hotel, I roll my eyes. Obviously they have a rosier view of hotels!

The last thing I want is to wake up in my own bedroom and think I'm in hotel (and maybe that I'm late for a meeting). While hotels can offer a great "try before you buy" opportunity for beds and bedding, I want enough non-hotel items that I know immediately I am snug at home.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I wish I'd saved the exact wording, but there was a sign in the bathroom at the Best Western where we stayed in Myrtle Beach last month. It had typical paper-thin, loosely-woven towels, washcloths, etc., although for $41/night with a balcony on the ocean I can tolerate them for a few nights. Paraphrasing:

"Due to the popularity of the towels and linens, we are pleased to offer them to you for sale at $9 per bath towel, $X per face cloth, $X per bath mat... If, rather than requesting them from our Executive Housekeeper, you take them with you, we will assume that you agree to a charge on your bill."

Well, I guess if people are tacky enough to steal cheap towels from a Best Western, that's a pretty tactful way of handling it.

Personally, I always swipe the notepads with the hotel logo. On the rare occasions when I stay in a place high-end enough to offer items with the hotel logo for sale, I'm not tempted to buy anything- except for the peach-scented shampoo I encountered on a couple of stays at the Boca Raton Resort,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.