Wiki Posts
Search

Most Interesting US Airports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by robb
Nice try, and I love your hometown, but your hometown airport blows!
While I don't live in Nashville anymore, I tend to fly there quite often to visit all the relatives. And I have to agree with robb on this one. The area is great, but there really isn't much to the airport there at all. It is not an airport I would look forward to getting stuck in for any length of time.

Though one thing in its favor is that sometime early next year, AA will be re-opening the AC there. That should help things out a little for BNA.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: Skyteam, Starwood, DMV Point Program
No, the Air & Space museum isn't at all walkable from the terminals. There's a shuttle bus (tho' I don't know anyone who has used it) from IAD. About 15 min, I think. Or less, in a cab. Don't know that you could rely on catching a cab back, though.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Boise airport

On the lowest of the three floors of BOI, there is marked on the floor a large star. I think it's a star -- it's been awhile, but if I recall correctly, it's a star. If you stand right in the middle of the star and just whisper, you can hear your words reverberating back down from the rotunda ceiling floors above. The airport architecture is designed such that the acoustics provide this in only that particular spot. You look a bit dorky just standing there and talking to yourself while others walk by, but it's an entertaining way to pass the time, anyway. There are also little desk cubicles in the airport for people to get work done.

However, good luck finding a potato. I found none in the entire Idaho airport.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by sinfonia
However, good luck finding a potato. I found none in the entire Idaho airport.
Well, there are always fries from the McDonalds in BOI, or a potato-shaped keychain from the gift shop right across from it.

Out of all the airports I spend any length of time in, I have to give my vote to SEA -- especially after the renovations done to the marketplace -- but I just wish it had free wi-fi. My votes for the least interesting US airports are equally split between LAS, RNO, and the Smith terminal of DTW.

Mike
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
I liked Kansas City MCI for its simplicity
Everytime you want to use the bathroom, you have to step off the security area and go through TSA again. I had a 8 hour delay there one time.....
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by nako
Smith terminal of DTW.

Mike
Just wait few more years for the new terminal.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:58 pm

I'd suggest my hometime airport of PDX (Portland airport) There's a great variety of shopping. Powell's, the large independent bookstore in Portland, has a small but good branch at the airport. There are quite a few good (for an airport) restaurants there as well.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I like the Denver airport--I still call it the new airport. I don't get there often, but I enjoy walking around it.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:33 am

YAK - big runway, a shack for the terminal.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
PIT is a great airport to fly in and out of, and connect through. Well planned and well executed. Lot of decent eating and well priced shopping (and even a post office), all behind security. Not a lot of spotting though- all you ever see are RJs and WN 737s
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by hhoope01
While I don't live in Nashville anymore, I tend to fly there quite often to visit all the relatives. And I have to agree with robb on this one. The area is great, but there really isn't much to the airport there at all. It is not an airport I would look forward to getting stuck in for any length of time.
And the random country stars (?) providing messages saying "thank you for visiting Nashville" doesn't help the ambiance of the airport either...

BNA is the type of airport that needs free Wifi.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 9:40 pm
3AK

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1981) Lifetime Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; National Car Rental VIP;
10 Most "Interesting" Airports

Yeah, we all know about the slots at LAS, the International Terminal at LAX, and the intrigue of MIA, etc. But here are the most "interesting" airports, below!
  1. FAI - Fairbanks International (AK)
  2. BTV - Burlington "International" Airport (VT)
  3. EAU - Eau Clair Chippewa Valley Regional Airport (WI)
  4. COD - Cody Yellowstone Regional (WY)
  5. SGF - Springfield-Branson Regional Airport (MO)
  6. GPT - Gulfport-Biloxi Regional (MS)
  7. XNA - Northwest Arkansas Regional (AR) Near Bentonville -Wal-Mart!
  8. OGG -Kahului, Maui International (HI)
  9. MSO -Missoula International Airport (MT)
  10. PQI - Presque Isle, Northern Maine Regional Airport (ME)
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Call me strange, but im fairly content with the offerings of concourse D at DFW...
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
I had a funky last minute business trip back in October where, I had to do some pretty creative routing to get to LAX. So, faced with either an overnight in ATL on DL, I decided to fly to LAS, since I knew the area and the airport.

I had a hotel booked, but decided to save money, and just use the room I got for the Day in LA. I arrived into LAS at about 10pm, took the $5.50 shuttle over to the Luxor, had the Luxor hold my bags into storage, and spent the night on strip in Vegas. I reclaimed my bags around 4:30am, got to the airport, took a quick nap, flew to LAX, showered, and was at my meeting by 10am.

So, why stay in the airport at LAS, when it is so darn easy and cheap to get to the strip and have fun if you have the time?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by 3AK
  1. FAI - Fairbanks International (AK)
  2. BTV - Burlington "International" Airport (VT)
  3. EAU - Eau Clair Chippewa Valley Regional Airport (WI)
  4. COD - Cody Yellowstone Regional (WY)
  5. SGF - Springfield-Branson Regional Airport (MO)
  6. GPT - Gulfport-Biloxi Regional (MS)
  7. XNA - Northwest Arkansas Regional (AR) Near Bentonville -Wal-Mart!
  8. OGG -Kahului, Maui International (HI)
  9. MSO -Missoula International Airport (MT)
  10. PQI - Presque Isle, Northern Maine Regional Airport (ME)
Care to explain your list? And why OGG makes the list when it's virtual absent of anything interesting at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.