Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you remember when you use to fly coach because you did not know any better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you remember when you use to fly coach because you did not know any better?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by suranyi
but my personal philosophy is that I'd rather get two trips than one, even if the two trips are a little less comfortable. So I go for two awards in coach rather than one in first.
That's my philosophy as well. ^ I'll take an upgrade into F (as long as it doesn't cost miles), but I'd never pay for F or redeem miles for an F award ticket if Y was available for half the miles..................................^
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I remember when coarch/economy used to be nice with good food, free drinks (and even cigarettes) and enough room to be comfortable.

But most passengers wanted the cheapest possible fares and the result is ........ a very down graded economy product.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I remember when coarch/economy used to be nice with good food, free drinks (and even cigarettes) and enough room to be comfortable.

But most passengers wanted the cheapest possible fares and the result is ........ a very down graded economy product.
Thank you Southworst for your participation in this Grayhound in the Sky Approach.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by stinky123
Surely I am not the only person who finds this question arrogant and obnoxious.

I fly coach because I work in the public sector, don't fly enough to qualify for an elite program and am not subsidized by taxpayers to fly in business class or first class. But your post has given me confidence in the contempt that I feel for those who do sit in first class and lord it over everyone else.
Change your job, that way taxpayers won't be paying for any of your lifestyle
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:52 am
MeNoSay

Originally Posted by beergut
Change your job, that way taxpayers won't be paying for any of your lifestyle
Thankfully, here in the United States, no tax money ever goes to corporations.

Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Originally Posted by MeNoSay
Thankfully, here in the United States, no tax money ever goes to corporations.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:23 pm

My first trip was in F -- with my father on a business trip -- way back then all the exec-types got to fly first. One way on AA/707 and return on UA/DC-8.
My dad made it very clear to me that this was special and that most of my flights would be in coach (he was correct!).
I do remember taking an "all first class" flight PHL-ROC and asking him about getting "similar seats" so the next flight I had, he sent me these "certificates"
Give them to the check-in he said. Of course, I didn't look at my boarding pass untill about 7- 8 rows into the plane --wow- 2A.
Now I use status for upgrades especially if Mrs. JJ and I are traveling to Europe, and like many on the board, usually do not pay for C of F.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:51 pm

Very first flight ever on a United 707 from Omaha nonstop to JFK in 1964, bound for beast barracks at West Point. Honestly don't remember a first class section; flying coach to my memory these days, only a handful of passengers -- like 20 or fewer -- United would have lost a lot of money if memory serves correctly.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I used to be a Alaska MVP Gold and was upgraded all the time. One minor problem though... Alaska was NEVER ON TIME !!! As that I am self-employed I fly SWA 90% of the time now. Sure its a cattle call, but once you understand and know how to work their system its good. I would much rather have my 5 r/t rapid reward tix and my companion pass.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by sonoftheheartland
Very first flight ever on a United 707 from Omaha nonstop to JFK in 1964, bound for beast barracks at West Point. Honestly don't remember a first class section; flying coach to my memory these days, only a handful of passengers -- like 20 or fewer -- United would have lost a lot of money if memory serves correctly.
Just curious. Did you graduate from Omaha Central High? I graduated in 1965 and remember a really good looking guy who went to West Point out of the Class of '64.

I was plain, skinny and wore glasses. The really good looking guy never looked at me once!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.