Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will the US Government "chicken out" and cancel passport requirement- Mexico/Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the US Government "chicken out" and cancel passport requirement- Mexico/Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The deadline for a new Passport requirement for flying into America from Canada, Mexico and many islands south of Florida has been postponed many times over the last few years. Now they have postponed it AGAIN until late January 2007. I understand that economic special interests are still working behind the scenes to delay the implementation of the new 2007 Passport rules- until 2010 or later. Of course their real goal is to gut the program or eliminate it entirely.

This was one of the most urgent recommendations from the September 11th Commission. Five years after the attack, people can still fly into America without a Passport from Countries with weak immigration laws.

Will the US Government "chicken out" and cancel passport requirement- Mexico/Canada? Who will prevail in this intense lobbying- security hawks or big business?

Last edited by greenery; Dec 1, 2006 at 8:39 am
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Great question by the OP!

Maybe.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:31 am
MeNoSay

Should we start a betting pool?

Please improve.

Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:09 am
cpx

Programs: Many
i'd be tuned in to see what happens in January. I guess the regular
commuters would be the first ones to raise a voice....
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:36 am
zac

Originally Posted by cpx
i'd be tuned in to see what happens in January. I guess the regular
commuters would be the first ones to raise a voice....
Why would a regular commuter not want a passport? I've never understood the whole birth certificate/drivers license thing. It's so much easier to just have a passport.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:07 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by zac
Why would a regular commuter not want a passport? I've never understood the whole birth certificate/drivers license thing. It's so much easier to just have a passport.
If I was in those shoes.. I'd get a passport too.. wait... I already have one..
but It was my guess since I've seen many people just drive across using just
a drivers license. (no recent experience)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.