Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When someone repacks baggage at the checkin counter to avoid excess baggage fees...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When someone repacks baggage at the checkin counter to avoid excess baggage fees...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:48 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels

When someone repacks baggage at the checkin counter to avoid excess baggage fees, the checkin agent should send him/her to the back of the line so that the time spent repacking delays only himself/herself, instead of everyone else in the line.

I've been stuck behind baggage repackers before, and I wonder how much faster the checkin line would go if airlines had that policy.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Most people I have seen are pretty quick about shifting things around, but how about putting a scale out at the checkin line?
Folks could check the bag weight before they get in line.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tjl
When someone repacks baggage at the checkin counter to avoid excess baggage fees, the checkin agent should send him/her to the back of the line so that the time spent repacking delays only himself/herself, instead of everyone else in the line.
Yup. Flying out of BCN recently the only person in elite/business class line and the 2 ladies (travelling together) in front of me took an age to repack multiple bags - had several bags over 32kg each, and not sure how they expected to get so much leftover stuff as carryon through security at LHR for their onward flight. Even worse, they weren't flying business class or elite and were only being served since the line was empty (until I turned up).
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
If I'm questionable on my bag's weight, I keep a zip top tote and my heavier items in the outside pocket so that if I'm overweight, I pop it out and check it. It is done without taking any extra time.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by donnyb
Most people I have seen are pretty quick about shifting things around, but how about putting a scale out at the checkin line?
Folks could check the bag weight before they get in line.
IIRC, CO has this for the international check-in area at IAH; not sure about other carriers / airports.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
A couple of years ago at the AA check-in in LGW this poor girl was having a nightmare of a time dealing with her overweight bags and she was so frustrated she dumped both her BIG suitcases on the ground, put one of them on the scale and started adding items until the agent told her she had hit her max. Fine, one bag done and then did the same with the other bag.

She then took the rest of the stuff and shoved it in her carry-ons any way she could and even layered the cloths / coats she was wearing! I felt bad for the girl but it was one of the most hilarious things I've seen!!!! All her clothes were just strewn all over the floor and everyone was just standing their watching!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by tjl
next, not last
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:51 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
IIRC, CO has this for the international check-in area at IAH; not sure about other carriers / airports.
UA does not at SFO. If someone wants to repack to avoid an excess baggage fee, s/he holds up the rest of the line. Very annoying if you are in the typically hour long checkin line.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:27 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tjl
I only had to repack once (LH flight carried out by NH and they didn't accept my overweight allowance as LH-FTL*S) and I thought it was obvious that I step to the side, repack my stuff, and then am back at the front of the line. What agent in their right mind would be content to sit idly while people in the line get more and more nervous.

Well, I guess there's one exception to that agent thing: when they have oversold the flight and are looking for people not making the checkin deadline to avoid IDB situations. But I'm sure any court at least in Germany would order that the only responsibility of the customer is to arrive at the airport and be in line in time. From there it's the airline's responsibility to make sure they have enough capacity to check you in.

HTB.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
What's worse is waiting whilst a PAX endlessly argues about why they shouldn't be charged for being over.

Some years ago, I was behind a girl at LHR travelling to Japan with BA. We were both in Y. She had 137Kg (exc hand luggage) - mostly sound equipment. It didn't look so much - I'm guessing there were some speakers/transformers in there. Limit would have been 20 or 25, can't remember now.

The check-in agent had done the calculation and the charge was more than the discounted ticket she had purchased. She had then offered her a deal. Think it was 40Kg for free, then half the normal charge above that. She would overlook the fact that she was way over on hand luggage also.

The girl wasn't having it... demanding to take the whole lot for free because:

1) She was a student and on a budget
2) She was a musician and there should be special concessions for musicians
3) There's nothing on the ticket to say she couldn't take more than 20Kg (!!)
4) BA's position of making profit out of students was immoral.
5) She had no money with her. The agent suggested credit card, but she said she didn't want to use it until she got to Japan.

She kept whining along the lines of:

"but that isn't going to help me"
"you're not interested in a solution"
"don't they train you in customer service"

The agent politely stood her ground, though I don't know the outcome as eventually I was served at the adjacent check-in. At this point a "supervisor" had been demanded.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Hmm, flying out Honolulu this past spring I would have been that passenger. And frankly I really did not care who was delayed or how long it was going to take me. Why - because the agent checking bags was a total *&%$ and I was going to make sure that my displeasure was known. Especially, because they were not following the rules put in place by the airline.

Now I just take out the extra weight and just put it back in when I give my bags to the TSA.

BTW The whole operation in Honolulu sucks, from the ag inspections, to check in, to the TSA. It may be paradise but the attitude of the people there sucks for the most part.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Nov 17, 2006 at 8:09 pm
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:06 pm

Programs: Luckest hitchhiker ever! WN CSA/SMF
Originally Posted by jimbo99
What's worse is waiting whilst a PAX endlessly argues about why they shouldn't be charged for being over.

Some years ago, I was behind a girl at LHR travelling to Japan with BA. We were both in Y. She had 137Kg (exc hand luggage) - mostly sound equipment. It didn't look so much - I'm guessing there were some speakers/transformers in there. Limit would have been 20 or 25, can't remember now.

The check-in agent had done the calculation and the charge was more than the discounted ticket she had purchased. She had then offered her a deal. Think it was 40Kg for free, then half the normal charge above that. She would overlook the fact that she was way over on hand luggage also.

The girl wasn't having it... demanding to take the whole lot for free because:

1) She was a student and on a budget
2) She was a musician and there should be special concessions for musicians
3) There's nothing on the ticket to say she couldn't take more than 20Kg (!!)
4) BA's position of making profit out of students was immoral.
5) She had no money with her. The agent suggested credit card, but she said she didn't want to use it until she got to Japan.

She kept whining along the lines of:

"but that isn't going to help me"
"you're not interested in a solution"
"don't they train you in customer service"

The agent politely stood her ground, though I don't know the outcome as eventually I was served at the adjacent check-in. At this point a "supervisor" had been demanded.
Trust me, we CS agents have NO compassion for people who try to pull this with us. I mean if the bag is 50.5 pounds, I'll let them slide with the extra .5 pound, but I've had people who were having a hissy fit over 75-90 pound bags!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Bowling Balls

I am the one in front of you who is repacking bowling balls. I had to do this once on UA, while flying from Billings, MT to EWR, through DEN. I switched one ball out of my triple bag with a pair of shoes from my luggage.

Generally, I like CO b/c they allow triple ball bags to be checked as sports equipment, even if they are overweight. My only problem was the first time I flew CO after they switched their weight limit from 75 to 50 lbs. Before the switch there was never an issue, but my first time after the swtich, I was forced to re-pack. After my return, I reviewed the regs, and found that not only was I exempt because of the sport equipment rules, I had actually booked the ticket prior to the announcement of the switch, and so my bags had actually been "grandfathered" in.

Last edited by JohnneeO; Nov 19, 2006 at 6:55 pm Reason: Spelling Error
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:33 pm

The Singapore Airlines check-in counters in Singapore (terminal 2) have scales away from the lines. This is good planning! This is an example of how the airline makes flying with them a bit more pleasant.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by jaylenofan86
Trust me, we CS agents have NO compassion for people who try to pull this with us. I mean if the bag is 50.5 pounds, I'll let them slide with the extra .5 pound, but I've had people who were having a hissy fit over 75-90 pound bags!
After starting traveling within the US earlier this year I have been surprised by how picky you are over the weight of the checked luggage. When flying on a *A airline it is usually fine (due to my *A status), but when flying on other airlines (CO, DL etc.) I often get charged when my bag is a mere 1 or 2 pounds over 50. I never argue though, which seems to surprise the check-in agents a bit. This "pickyness" from the airlines side usually leads to 5-10 minutes spent attempting to process the excess luggage charge. Would be much quicker if the airlines were a bit more willing to let small things like this slide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.