Search

Connection time

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC,HH,SQ,KL,MH
Post Connection time

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct group to be posting, if not please direct me to it as I'm new to flyertalk.

I will be travelling on Jan 7 and I would like to know if I will have enough time for the following connections: MCO/DEN UA1491 (1434/1634) connecting DEN/LAX UA511 (1716/1844) and I then have to connect NZ5 which departs at 2100 for AKL. Does anyone know if I can check in for AKL from MCO? Also, if i have enough time for the transit in DEN and for security check in LAX?
Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ptong
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct group to be posting, if not please direct me to it as I'm new to flyertalk.

I will be travelling on Jan 7 and I would like to know if I will have enough time for the following connections: MCO/DEN UA1491 (1434/1634) connecting DEN/LAX UA511 (1716/1844) and I then have to connect NZ5 which departs at 2100 for AKL. Does anyone know if I can check in for AKL from MCO? Also, if i have enough time for the transit in DEN and for security check in LAX?
Thanks.
If it's all on the same ticket, you'll be able to check in at MCO.

Connection time in DEN is tight, but you'll make it.

Not sure there will be another "security" check at LAX, that extra nonsense is usually reserved for US-bound flights.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:19 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
what LessO2 said.

You generally need to re-do the security for lax if you are flying into US
and connecting at LAX. (or any other airport of first entry)

welcome to FT!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Post Connection in DEN and LAX

Originally Posted by cpx
what LessO2 said.

You generally need to re-do the security for lax if you are flying into US
and connecting at LAX. (or any other airport of first entry)

welcome to FT!
Thanks for reply.
I'm actually traveling on the star alliance rtw ticket so does that mean I can check-in from MCO? My concern is the <1hr connection in DEN since it's winter (snow storm and things) and does anyone know anything about how long one should allocate for the check-in procedure for an outbound flight in LAX other than the normal over the check-in counter. Do I have to bring my bags for additional security screening that may involve long line up?

In fact my flight is MCO/DEN/LAX/AKL/MEL. Do you think I can check-in all the way?

Would it be safer if I were take the earlier flight from MCO with a longer connection at DEN?

Thanks for reading.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:39 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Thanks for reply.
I'm actually traveling on the star alliance rtw ticket so does that mean I can check-in from MCO? My concern is the <1hr connection in DEN since it's winter (snow storm and things) and does anyone know anything about how long one should allocate for the check-in procedure for an outbound flight in LAX other than the normal over the check-in counter. Do I have to bring my bags for additional security screening that may involve long line up?

In fact my flight is MCO/DEN/LAX/AKL/MEL. Do you think I can check-in all the way?

Would it be safer if I were take the earlier flight from MCO with a longer connection at DEN?

Thanks for reading.
If you can get an earlier connection without much hassle, I would suggest that. Best to play it safe, since your final destination is MEL. Fortunately there are later alternatives on UA metal and QF metal to MEL if you do get to LAX late (UA operates via SYD, and QF operates a non-stop).

FYI, United Arrives Terminals 7/8 at LAX. Air New Zealand departs Terminal 2.

You will be able to interline your luggage all the way thru to MEL. In fact, make sure they interline it to MEL to avoid luggage hassles at LAX.

There is a bus which goes to all the terminals at LAX, but personally I'd go outside and make the walk between the terminals.

BTW: At AKL you will be subject to transit screening after you deplane. Just walk through the "glass corridor" as you deplane in AKL and follow the signs for Transit Passengers to Transit Security. This will take you back up to the 2nd level departures for your flight onward to Melbourne.

If you want to buy duty free, liquid items specifically, you should be ok in AKL plus there is a Duty Free shop in MEL upon arrival (Downtown Duty Free will be located to your right just as you approach immigrations - you can't miss it).

SDF_Traveler
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Thanks to the TS/S posters who have supplied answers thus far.
Since this is not a travel safety/security issue, I'll transfer the thread to TravelBuzz where it'll gain a wider audience.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Hi and welcome to Flyer Talk ptong

I presume you have separate tickets. The minimum connection UA->NZ at LAX is 3 hours. That said it is possible to connect in 2 hours 16 minutes but only if your inward flight isnt too late. UA uses T6/7/8 which is the opposite side of LAX from T2 which NZ uses. Allow 15-25 minutes to change terminals (either walk around the U, walk through the carparks or take the free shuttle). Security queues at T2 are normally very long (that time of day), with even a queue just to join the security queue. I expect a minimum of 1 hour to get through this (and up to 90 minutes).
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Post Connection time

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Hi and welcome to Flyer Talk ptong

I presume you have separate tickets. The minimum connection UA->NZ at LAX is 3 hours. That said it is possible to connect in 2 hours 16 minutes but only if your inward flight isnt too late. UA uses T6/7/8 which is the opposite side of LAX from T2 which NZ uses. Allow 15-25 minutes to change terminals (either walk around the U, walk through the carparks or take the free shuttle). Security queues at T2 are normally very long (that time of day), with even a queue just to join the security queue. I expect a minimum of 1 hour to get through this (and up to 90 minutes).

Hi All,
Thanks for all your input. My major concern is the security check LAX, I've heard stories on how long they can be and my flight from DEN gets in at 1844 and then connecting on NZ5 which departs at 2100. Does anyone know IF i can get my bags tagged from the beginning of my trip. (I begin my trip on MCO/DEN UA1491 1434/1634, DEN/LAX UA0511 1716/1844, LAX/AKL NZ5 2100/0645 +2, AKL/MEL NZ5 0830/1020. We will have bags between us since it's a family visit over the holidays and am concern IF I have to move them manually from the UA terminal to the NZ terminal and then having to wait and go through security.

Would I be better off having a longer connection in DEN (in case of snow storm), if so, what's DEN's airport like? Anything worth exploring? Do they have WIFI at the terminal? OR I can have a longer transit at LAX. Any suggestions on how to kill an afternoon at LAX? If I can get into LAX by 1pm (UA445 1124/1259) Can I check in for the NZ flight that early (if I can't have my bags tagged all the way from the begining of my journey from MCO)? Where can I spend the whole afternoon.

Thanks for takign the time to read.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I have a similar problem. I am scheduled to depart LAX--AKL/ QF at 8:30PM Feb. 22. Originally my US flight from CLT--LAX was to arrive at 5:56, but a sched. change has made it 6:53. I was told Friday night that this is < M.C.T. of 2 hours.

I called again Saturday night & was told that I am fine--that the MCT dom. to int. is only 90 minutes. My return was changed because that MCT is 2 hours due to Customs/ Imm.

Last edited by Brendan; Dec 10, 2006 at 9:09 am Reason: Original CSR was incorrect!
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
as for me

I always insist on having more connection time especially for international flights. One time in 10 it becomes a neccessity rather than a bit of time to walk around and have a drinkie or cup of tea. That's enough to prove the value of it to me.

DEN confuses me. I need extra time there.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
I believe your connection is too tight.
This is winter!
This is DEN in winter!
You have 3 segments in winter!
One of the segments is international!
If you want to stack the odds in your favor my personal standard is a 2 hour connection...unless you don't mind giving up a day in NZ.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Wink

To give you a pretty good idea of how big Denver International Airport is:

http://www.flydenver.com/

Plus, they have a train that runs from the main terminal to all the concourses running under them.

Sanosuke!
Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Connection time

I've decided to change my flight to arrive into DEN 1035 and leave for LAX at 1425 which arrives at 1553 and my connecting flight to AKL is at 21pm. This will give me more transit time in DEN and a longer wait at LAX (from 1553 till 2100). Does anyone know how can I kill the later afternoon at LAX?

Thanks for all the advices - my cybertraveller friends.

p.t.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:32 am

Programs: NWA, Star Alliance, RBC Avion
ptong,
Would you mind sharing you itinerary? Which mileage distance option did you take?

I'm looking at doing the star alliance rtw starting early Feb.
I'm looking at YYZ, YYC, YVR, HNL, SYD, AKL, CHC, MEL, JBE (Johannesburg, not sure of the code), NBO, ZUR, LHR, YHZ.
I wish they had an Aussie airline available on this package, it would make my life a tremendous amount easier as I have to spend a lot of time in Sydney next year. My stopovers on the way to Sydney are going to be short. I will be in Sydney for a few months before going to NZ for a month. Flying back to Melbourne where I will have to find my own way back to Sydney for a few more months. Then, I will take a month going to Perth over land and fly out of PER to South Africa. Spend some time in SA and surrounding and fly to Kenya for a bit. Then a few days in Switzerland and England then back to Canada. 28,993 miles, just under the 29k cut-off.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:15 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Ptong, IMHO U have gone to the other extreme of excessively long ground times ! Perhaps if U get lucky in DEN, U can standby for an earlier flight to LAX to have enough time to rent a car & enjoy the afternoon in L.A. !
I personally would prefer your original schedule, taking the risk of maybe 24 hours in L.A.--or even flying domestic on Jan. 6 to have a deliberate 1-day stopover in L.A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.