Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever seen a passenger revolt during a long flight delay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It seems like the delays are getting worse and worse every time I fly. Recently we sat for hours on the tarmac for an unknown reason after leaving the gate on time. Weather was beautiful and there was no annocement of the delay, we just sat there.

I think American travelers in Airplanes are generally very passive about delays. We just sit there and moan and groan but rarely cause a stink. I have been on some really long tarmac delays and rarely does any one say anything.

I wonder if travelers overseas, especially ones from third world countries, make a bigger stink when the plane just sits at the gate or parks at the tarmac for hours without a good explaination.

Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:16 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by greenery
I have been on some really long tarmac delays and rarely does any one say anything.
Really? I have only been on long tarmac delays in the US and there's always someone yakking away loudly on their cellphone.

No, but I've seen a revolting passenger. Does that count?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
I was in an RJ sitting on the tarmac in Richmond for an hour+ waiting for storms to die down. I'd been travelling for 40+ hours home from India (long story) and was now a 20 minute flight (3 hour drive) from home.

Then the pilot came on and said that he was going to run out of flight time in 30 minutes and there were no pilots. Also, there were no stairways for RJ's available to deplane us. Finally, the airport staff had gone home and there were 40 jets in front of us waiting for when the staff came back and figure out how to get us out.

I very politely informed him that in 30 minutes and 15 seconds I was going to open the door and leave. He informed me that they'd have to call security and I told him that after 40 hours on an aircraft a nice quite cell sounded fine. And besides, how did he intend to get off the plane himself?

29 minutes later we left for RDU. I was horrified, the next day, to thing how close I'd come to getting arrested. I've been much cooler since.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 4:19 pm

I wonder if travelers overseas, especially ones from third world countries, make a bigger stink when the plane just sits at the gate or parks at the tarmac for hours without a good explaination.
That's funny. What exactely do you mean by "third world countries" (Italy, India or Indonesia?) - I know people in Mozambique, Malawi or Madagascar don't really travel air - they stay on the "tarmac" all the time and they sure don't complain.

Sorry for being a smart *** on this one - coulnd't resist
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From Third World Countries? That's a bit nasty.

Yes I've seen it happen, but it's always been people confirming the ugly american nametag. Once a couple weeks ago, where they had to open up the door (we were still at the gate) and drag the moron off.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:29 pm
BigSeat

I am sure be it due to delays...service wise...etc...

Very sure for frequent fliers in First and Business with SQ, if given a choice, will never want to fly with any of the american and european carriers again. No worries of revolt in this case. Everything bout SQ is at least a 'good' standard !

IMO

Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Recently we sat for hours on the tarmac for an unknown reason after leaving the gate on time.
What airline do you fly?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Why would people from 3rd world countries make more or less of a stink than people from 1st or 2nd world countries?

On that end, what qualifies as a 2nd world country?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
A coworker was on such a flight.
He was flying ATL-LGA and the flight had to divert to JFK.
The pilot said that everyone would have to stay on board, while they waited to take off and fly JFK-LGA. I don't know if they also needed to refuel. The passengers were having none of that. My coworker didn't say much about the details, other than that ultimately the pilot allowed people off if they wanted to.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
What airline do you fly?
Surely you havent forgotten Infinity Airlines of a few years back?

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Aug 22, 2006 at 9:41 pm
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by etch5895
Why would people from 3rd world countries make more or less of a stink than people from 1st or 2nd world countries?

On that end, what qualifies as a 2nd world country?
[Text constituting attack on member deleted by Moderator]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 22, 2006 at 10:24 pm
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:25 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please members, if you want to ignore this thread please do so but also refrain from attacking members if you do wish to reply. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderartor, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
That's funny.

Seems to me based on such an unfounded comment that the OP really hasn't spent that much time travelling outside the US to be making judgements about how it is anywhere else.

In fact it seems to me when in other countries it's always the nasally Americans who whine and moan the first and loudest over any small irregularity.

Must be that empowerment from all that democracy that has gained all so much respect fom others throughout the world - "Let me show them how it's to be done! Let me make this flight safe to go into the world!"

Also, is Israel a third-world country?

Many a flight crew friend refuse to work pax flight sectors involving Israel just because the ridership is so whiny.

Last edited by KMHT FF; Aug 23, 2006 at 5:12 am
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Please members, if you want to ignore this thread please do so but also refrain from attacking members if you do wish to reply. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderartor, TravelBuzz.
A stupid charge deserves replies in kind.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:24 am

In my experience, some West African passengers (especially the "traders") tend to be the most demanding. These are the same people who turn up with 100 kg of bags at checkin, spend the better part of 3 hours repacking, argue over the excess baggage charges, show up late to the boarding gate and then kick off a shouting match with the crew when the aircraft winds up in an ATC hold due to a missed slot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.