Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will Others Try to Avoid UK Connections to Avoid Onerous Carry-on Rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Others Try to Avoid UK Connections to Avoid Onerous Carry-on Rules?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I hope it doesn't come to harmonizing this nonsense across the Union. There is likely to be no escape--almost no escape, there's always Switzerland <fingers crossed>.
Don't count Switzerland out for long. They've made moves toward the EU-Schengen thing already. The more I deal with the EU nowadays, the less I like it.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:23 pm

Was to take a RDU-LGW-MAD on AA/BA in mid-Sept. Just rebooked to do RDU-ATL-MAD on Delta. Just not worth the hassle to connect through the UK. These security restrictions will probably kill the AA RDU-LGW flight. It was great having a direct 767/777 to Europe from what is one of the smaller airports.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:13 am
cpx

Programs: Many
End to my elite status :(

I make several weekend trips to or via europe every year.
Due to these rules, I just cant make those trips. It takes more
time to check-in the bags, retrieve them and having to get there
early makes it impossible for me to make these trips now.

Just cancelled one trip this month and one over the labor day weekend.
and if these restrictions stays, I won't be able to maintain my elite status
for long. One more reason not to travel.

whoever wanted to terrorize the travellers.. succeeded!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by violet312s
These security restrictions will probably kill the AA RDU-LGW flight.
Not necessarily, so you may be in luck. Much of the RDU-LGW flight is O&D traffic. It's sometimes said that it's just a corporate shuttle on which AA sells some spare seats to the general public.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:21 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by number_6
The EU has started the process to formulate a common airport security policy. This means that the restrictions will be identical at all major EU airports ... probably closer to what LHR is now then not. So rerouting to AMS/CDG/FRA/MAD will mean nothing, you will get the same treatment as at LHR in the near future (less than a month, and maybe even 2 weeks from now).

While I agree with Spiff's sentiment, you'll have to start avoiding Europe and not just the UK, and maybe even all major airports, in the future. Flying has definitely changed, and maybe more than from the 9/11 impact.
I'm ok with a break from travel to wait this idiocy out. If it stops, I'll start traveling again. If not, then there's plenty of other things in life to keep me occupied.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Spiff
I'm ok with a break from travel to wait this idiocy out. If it stops, I'll start traveling again. If not, then there's plenty of other things in life to keep me occupied.
From what I read in the German media, it's not going to stop but will soon be expanded to all EU airports (water ban, tiny carry-ons).
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by cpx
I make several weekend trips to or via europe every year.
Due to these rules, I just cant make those trips. It takes more
time to check-in the bags, retrieve them and having to get there
early makes it impossible for me to make these trips now.

Just cancelled one trip this month and one over the labor day weekend.
and if these restrictions stays, I won't be able to maintain my elite status
for long. One more reason not to travel.

whoever wanted to terrorize the travellers.. succeeded!
Unfortunately, I agree with you. I am reassessing my travel plans. If I can not bring significant amounts of reading matter/work on board with me I just may not fly to Europe or even fly at all.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
LHR was a hassle before, so it will be a nightmare now. Am trying to change all plans on September trip to Europe - but don't know which way to go. Zurich maybe? Certainly don't want to fly BA -
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Unfortunately, I agree with you. I am reassessing my travel plans. If I can not bring significant amounts of reading matter/work on board with me I just may not fly to Europe or even fly at all.
The rules as of today do permit you to bring 6 inch stack of work and reading materials on board with you. The carry-on limit primarily affects clothes and not laptop, camera and paper.

I'd say that ZRH is the big winner out of this at the moment, with MAD a close second (good timing on opening up their fabulous new terminal). HEL is also a good choice for routing if you have nonstop flights into HEL (otherwise it is a bit out of the way). MUC is also good, but FRA is a problem (unless you are flying LH F and can use their F terminal).
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If South America, many parts of Asia and Africa don't jump on board these nonsense restrictions, I'll do my discretionary travels there instead.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If South America, many parts of Asia and Africa don't jump on board these nonsense restrictions, I'll do my discretionary travels there instead.
Yep. These are partly blanks in my travel history, anyway, so worth looking into.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:04 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm thinking along the same line. I'm also hoping to be able to do a
NZ trip in november without this mess.

This mess hit me hard for my India trips .. where I was counting on the
high risk (under 55 minute connection time btwn intl&domestic) connections
at DEL for a quick weekend visit. I sure cant do those anymore if I have
to checkin my mobile phones.. just not possible.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver Elite, Hilton Blue
Originally Posted by flysurfer
From what I read in the German media, it's not going to stop but will soon be expanded to all EU airports (water ban, tiny carry-ons).
*sigh*

I too have been retooling some planned itineraries since I usuallly get to Europe at least once a quarter. I usually go DCA-JFK-LHR on AA and then take SlEazy Jet out of STN or LGW or some other Euro airline, but I'm going to try my luck at CDG in October and see what happens.

kbg
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by cpx
I'm thinking along the same line. I'm also hoping to be able to do a
NZ trip in november without this mess.

This mess hit me hard for my India trips .. where I was counting on the
high risk (under 55 minute connection time btwn intl&domestic) connections
at DEL for a quick weekend visit. I sure cant do those anymore if I have
to checkin my mobile phones.. just not possible.
Checking in mobile phones? Where?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:13 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
While it stinks that the other airports are going to ape LHR's foollishness, they won't all sink to the same level. LHR with an added layer of "security" is still going to be a heck of a lot worse than ZHR with the same constraints.

Sorry, LHR. Until you can find a way to get me from one terminal to another on an international connection without making me clear "security" again, I'm avoiding your place any time it's humanly possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.