Wiki Posts
Search

Forcing an Overnight Stopover?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Forcing an Overnight Stopover?

Not quite an MR scenario this time, but certainly could be useful when planning one...

I'm trying to figure out how to force an overnight stopover between two airports with limited schedules. There are plenty of late flights out of MHT to several airline's hubs, and plenty of early flights out of those hubs to my destination (XNA), but nothing late enough to connect to if I try to fly through that night. What I'd like to do is stay at/near the connecting airport that night and get the first flight out in the morning to XNA, letting me arrive at about 8:00AM, rather than flying the first leg and doing the layover all that morning.

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
TravelBuzz or a particular airline is probably a better place for this post. MR'ers want to minimize the cost and finish the trip asap, they are not looking for an overnight so its really not applicable for them. (PM a moderator from this forum, they'd be glad to move it for you)

As far as your question, you'd have to book the first flight leg to arrive after the last connecting flight to your destiniation has left, then book the first flight out the next morning to your destination to accomplish the nights stay without being considered a stop. Enjoy.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
I'm going to move this to TravelBuzz, as it's topic is more general to booking travel as opposed to a mileage run.

Dave, a.k.a. dmfriedman
Moderator, Mileage Run
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
The reason for this moment of insanity is that I live about 2 hours away from my home airport. So I generally stay at a hotel near MHT and fly out in the morning. I figure I can get a few extra hours at my destination and avoid waking up at ungodly early AM hours if I get through half my trip that night after work and finish it up on the morning flight out of the hub (probably CVG, ATL, CLT, or DTW). Heading to XNA.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:39 pm
Suspended

A TA can easily force an overnight. All they have to do is select you on a flight in the evening that has no immediate connection, then select you on the 1st flight in the morning.

In Sabre it is simple as putting in X in the connection box indicating to ticket it as a through ticket, not a stopover... don't know about any other GDS' as I am only Sabre trained.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AS MHT
I'm trying to figure out how to force an overnight stopover between two airports with limited schedules.
Check to make sure there are seats available on both segments in your desired fare bucket.

Search by schedule for a multi-city trip on the airline's website (or another travel booking site if you prefer).

As long as you get the last flight in and the first flight out, everything should price out correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.