Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Flight Attendants making us sick?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question Are Flight Attendants making us sick?

Being the latent germaphobe that I am, I've come to notice that FA's always seem to handle cups by the rim when serving beverages and when collecting already used cups. I’ve noticed this on most US carriers.

Now anyone with knowledge of basic hygiene could tell you that serving beverages after handling used cups is unsanitary. One might as well French kiss everyone on the plane. I can't imagine that it's good for the FA's to be coming in contact with the saliva of passengers either.

Has this ever been addressed by the airlines, unions, or any government agency? It's bad enough that we share the same air on a plane. Must we share the same oral bacteria as well.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Being the latent germaphobe that I am, I've come to notice that FA's always seem to handle cups by the rim when serving beverages and when collecting already used cups. I’ve noticed this on most US carriers.

Now anyone with knowledge of basic hygiene could tell you that serving beverages after handling used cups is unsanitary. One might as well French kiss everyone on the plane. I can't imagine that it's good for the FA's to be coming in contact with the saliva of passengers either.

Has this ever been addressed by the airlines, unions, or any government agency? It's bad enough that we share the same air on a plane. Must we share the same oral bacteria as well.
I have noticed flight attendants handling used cups by the rims. Today on the WN flight I took, the flight attendants wore plastic gloves when placing the used cups in trash bags.

Not only FA's pass out beverage cups by the rims. I have noticed this extremely unsanitary practice at several restaurants over the past few years.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:32 pm

I think you're just overly paranoid.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:45 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
little bit of germs is good for your immume system..

think about the germs in the air....
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:16 pm

i am always amazed the flight attendants aren't sick more often.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I'm VERY laid-back about germs and, fortunately, very healthy. Yes, I do realize there's probably a connection.

But, given the poor quality of air in the plane (dry, and very little fresh- mostly re-circulated), we're already in a situation that encourages the transmission of communicable diseases. My husband is finally getting back to normal after a bacterial respiratory problem he developed 3 days after we came home from a trip from MCI to SAV via DFW. Took him 3 weeks, 2 doctor visits and a lot of meds to get over it. Did he catch it on the plane? Maybe. I'd appreciate it if the FAs didn't do things that made the situation worse.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
ewww

i had mastered the "standing in the subway without holding onto the [snot/semen/bacteria/germ/other slathered] poles and seatbacks" technique and have learned to take toilet tissue out of the stall with me, in the event that the lavatory utilizes hand dryers instead of environmentally unfriendly paper towels, so i can open the [snot/semen??/bacteria/germ/other slathered] bathroom door, and NOW i have to wonder where my FA's hands have been....god, just pass me some anthrax and get it over with

ITTIA
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam
i had mastered the "standing in the subway without holding onto the [snot/semen/bacteria/germ/other slathered] poles and seatbacks" technique and have learned to take toilet tissue out of the stall with me, in the event that the lavatory utilizes hand dryers instead of environmentally unfriendly paper towels, so i can open the [snot/semen??/bacteria/germ/other slathered] bathroom door, and NOW i have to wonder where my FA's hands have been....god, just pass me some anthrax and get it over with

ITTIA
You don't sound like you are much fun

(kidding hehe)
Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you don't like the way a cup is handed to you, ask for another one and request that the cup be held from the bottom. Why wait for a union when you can address your concern directly.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I don't go overboard in trying to avoid germs, but I do take small precautions. For instance, I usually rinse the hotel room coffee cup out before using it.

However, if the FAs or other service people can do the small things like proper handling of cups, etc., it will make everyone a little happier. There have been studies done in hotels where they evaluate cleanliness in the rooms, and have found fecal bacteria on the TV remote control (nasty SOB does a number 2, doesn't wash their hands, and then goes back to chaneel surfing), and god knows what on the outer bed linen.

A few small steps in hygiene go a long way. I don't want to be ingesting someone elses saliva either.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold
I'm no germophobe and I've never noticed/been bothered by this in the past. However, it does seem an easy change the FA can make to hand out glasses by the bottoms, rather than by the rims.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Diamond
I suppose the simple solution would be to tavel with straws in the carryon.

Cromely.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by Cromely
I suppose the simple solution would be to tavel with straws in the carryon.

Cromely.
If it becomes too common, straws will become banned by the TSA.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL GLD, AA PLT, PC PLT, NATL Emrld
Funny thing but as I watched the FA hand out drinks on my latest flight I pondered the exact thing as the OP. My thoughts are that it is impossible to avoid germs unless you live in a bubble (think Seinfeld). Straws aren't a bad idea, you could also bring your own disposable gloves or hand sanitizer.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by herzmeh
I think you're just overly paranoid.
Not really. The fact that I don't enjoy the equivalent of drinking from used cups doesn't qualify one as paranoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.