Wiki Posts
Search

Destinations that have most exceeded/failed to meet your expectations

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Loved:
St. Petersburg
Moscow (although much different that I was expecting)
Luxembourg
Northern and Southern Belgium (trained through Brussels, so no comment)
Mossel valley in Germany - Trier.
Nova Scotia
New York City

Last summer, I wasn't expecting anything much from Belgium and was more looking forward to Denmark. I was dead wrong. Loved Belgium (excellent food, excellent beer, very decent people willing to help idiotic foreign bikers meandering around their countryside ).

Disappointed
Orlando
LA
Denmark (very blah and overpriced)
PEI. Way too commercialized with Anne of Green Gables.
Old May 4, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Exceeded:

Melbourne
Maui
Toronto
Osaka

Failed:

Negril
Oahu
St. Tropez
Tokyo

But... I found something wonderful in each place... so I'd consider going back.
Old May 4, 2007, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by KMHT FF
The Phi Phi Islands had a real seedy patina to it, overrun by backpackers and especially Israelis who were just nasty to each other and everyone else. Good god, you're supposed to be on holiday.
We loved Phi Phi island.

We were most disappointed with Singapore. I think Hong Kong and Shanghai blow it away.
Old May 4, 2007, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by redbeard911
I think Hong Kong and Shanghai blow it away.
I think Hong Kong BLOWS away Shanghai!
Old May 4, 2007, 11:49 pm
~B~

deleted

Last edited by ~B~; Jul 9, 2009 at 4:27 am
Old May 5, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
rapid city, sd and the greater black hills region far exceeded my expectations.

while in college, my family relocated to rapid city from philadelphia where i had lived for the first 20 years of my life. my sister and i dreaded heading to the high plains but once we were out there just fell in love with the whole region.

it certainly could use some more cosmopolitan ammenities (namely a bakery) but i always love heading out there to visit...plus RAP is one of the best regional airports in the country...amazing service and all the employees there really take pride in EVERY aspect of the facilities functionality.
Old May 5, 2007, 12:58 pm

Exceeded:

Ha Long Bay: Vietnam (a unique holiday experience)
Paris (always something to enjoy)
Montreal (Paris meets Chicago: great quality of life despite winter)
NYC (no place like it, so much in one city, can overwhelm many, but has it all)
Cape Cod/Provincetown (just like the postcards and then some)
San Francisco (lived here for 14yrs, great to visit, great to live,must like "fog"
San Diego(what SO CAL life should be)
Sydney (only after a second visit)
Thailand (not so much Bangkok)
Portland, OR
Hawaii (touristy in some areas, but never dissapoints, Aloha spirit!)
Hong Kong (gotham in Asia, still interesting)

The following I enjoyed but had bigger expectations:
Oslo
Vail (incredible skiing, but expected more of a ski town/village feel)
Brussels
Frankfurt

Mixed:

Los Angeles: LA is a real dichotomy. Currently have lived in Hollywood area for the last 2 yrs. If your like many from mid America or abroad seeking a well mannered, best of So Cal, intrigued of Hollywood, ease of getting around, and not to be overwhelmed by extreme wealth, poverty and superficiality this is not the place for you! On the other hand, if your here to make the dream, become a succesful actor, writer, director, musician, or to work in "The Industry" in general...or you grew up here, tolerate multi-cultural, fast paced and living in a land of extremes, you might find this place to be absolutely wonderful. LA can grow on you or frustrate you.
Personally, I find some of those in entertainment industry fascinating, others irritating. However the sprawl and the congestion make the quality of life, less appealing. This city is "to each his own".

Last edited by friendlyflyer; May 5, 2007 at 4:46 pm
Old May 5, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My turn

Exceeded:
Berlin--an affordable European capital. Dynamic and cosmopolitan.
Athens--gets a really bad rap, but I've been twice and I love it. I don't think it's dirty, and since the new metro, you can get around easily. No so expensive as other European capitals. I guess my expectations were really low, and it far exceeded them. Nice new airport, too.
Delphi--perhaps the most breathtaking ancient site I've ever seen.
Delos--also in Greece, but you have to put up with the overrated Mykonos to see it. I guess you could call me a big Grecophile.
Rio de Janeiro--I was not expecting such extreme scenic beauty and gorgeous beaches. (When you look past the poverty.)
Atlanta
Toronto--I go all the time now, but was really surprised on my first visit.

Failed:
Istanbul--I think my expectations were just too high. It's fine, but I was somewhat disappointed. Aggressive rug salesmen dogging your footsteps, crooked cab drivers, minimal transit.
Boston
Seattle
Munich--I almost forgot! Bleah. Everything closed up at 7PM, rowdy drunken soccer fans drinking beer on the subway and screaming, foul stench in the air half the time, very little to recommend it other than its nice museums.

Paris is still my favorite, but I can't say it really exceeded my expectations, which were very high.
Old May 5, 2007, 10:53 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Exceeded:
Iguazu Falls....absolutely incredible.

Failed:
St. Thomas, USVI---could be any-suburb america, with palm trees, and a lot more crowds (esp. Charlotte Amalie at cruise ship time). Glad to get off the island and spend more time on St. John.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.