Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Amusing messages from the flight deck...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amusing messages from the flight deck...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Platinum, United 1P
Talking Amusing messages from the flight deck...

So, what's the concensus here about pilots who make amusing announcements from the flight deck? Should they do it, or should they not quit their day jobs - and just fly the freakin plane?

I personally am a fan, as it breaks up the monotony - and brings a smile to my face.

Anyone want to relate some particularly funny announcements that you heard on a recent flight?

Last edited by Giovanni; Jul 12, 2006 at 4:12 pm
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:03 am

On a Southwest flight landing at SDF, as soon as the wheels touched the captain comes over the PA "Whoa horsey!!.... slow down boy...."
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
95% of the "amusing" announcements I hear fall into one of two categories:

1. Noone except the pilot (or whoever says them) finds them amusing. Aside from content, a lot of people who think they tell jokes well don't. If they're in charge, nobody is going to tell them.

2. They're the same ones frequent flyers have heard 473 times already, most of which have also been posted here several times. We know you turn the lights down to enhance the appearance of the FAs, etc., etc.

That said, the other 5% are fun. There's an AA purser nicknamed "Lucky" who does a great job. Wish there were more like him.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
I don't mind them, especially after something unusual (turbulence, rough landing, etc). My only problem is with pilots who go on and on and on over the PA - in fact that's half the reason I started wearing headphones while flying.

"Our trip today will take us out over Leesburg, Virginia, then on out over Jefferson County, WV. We'll be flying over WV then on over Cincinatti, home of WKRP! Then over Indianapolis, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, part of Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, then north into Seattle. I'll be coming on as we cross each state line to announce any landmarks that half of you might be able to see if you really know where to look. Of course, I realize I wouldn't have to bug you with all this if we just allowed you to use GPS repeaters, since most of you have laptops with you, but since coach is so crowded I also know it's almost impossible to use those laptops in flight, so I might as well tell you where we are until AA puts position displays in the cabin in 2025. If you have any questions, just a reminder not to ring the call button for a flight attendant unless it's an emergency, as they have a 3 magazine per flight quota to get through. So that about wraps it up for now, I should probably get back to flying. Have a safe trip and enjoy one of our plasticy carb-boxes while they're still only $5."
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:51 pm

I had an America West pilot give a normal announcement, other than saying he was "up here in the engine room".
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:02 pm

Amusing in hindsight - at the time it wasn't really so funny: flying ATL - MEX on AM at the end of 2004 we ran into apparently completely unforseen severe weather - the absolute worst turbulence of my life. By far. Out of the 6 people in my row, 4 had to make use of the barf bag... Apparently the Navy or Coast Guard had to take over ATC because all the planes in the area were totally off course. Anyway, we were thrashed around for a good 30-40 minutes while the pilot was trying to us the hell outta there. After it was over, and things and heart rates were back to normal, the pilot comes on and says: "I know you all we scared, and you know what? So were we!..."
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
I'm in favor of the well placed/timed comment

my all time favorite - right after takeoff the pilot comes on and deadpans "uh, the owner of the white Ford pickup, you left your lights on"

that was it, at least until we reached cruising and he came back with the standard seat belt, weather, distance bit.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Bonvoy Gold
While not from the cockpit, the most amusing announcement I've heard was when an FA on WN was doing the safety shpiel:

"...place the mask over your nose and mouth and breathe like there's no tomorrow...because for all you know, there won't be!" LOL
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA
"Ladies and Gentlemen, we offer a free seating service on this flight and invite you to sit wherever you please. However, we ask that during take-off, taxiing and landing, you sit at a window seat with your blind up so that we look busy to our competitors.

Thank you for your cooperation"

^ ^
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Efrem
2. They're the same ones frequent flyers have heard 473 times already, most of which have also been posted here several times. We know you turn the lights down to enhance the appearance of the FAs, etc., etc.
Ding, ding, ding, and we have a winner. I'd be fine if they came up with something new and creative but it's the same one every time.

"or someone acting like a child", "turn our flight into a cruise", "it was the as-phalt", etc., etc.

I only flew Southwest twice but I swear I was ready to strangle both FA's. Other airlines try to slide in one or two. The SW FA's appeared to be trying to get in every "cute" remark ever uttered into every single flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.