Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do with multiple airline amenity kits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with multiple airline amenity kits?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Wow, this is a timely thread. Just this past weekend I decided to tackle the growing mound of amenity kits that I have accumulated over the past few years (mostly from UA biz, but there are a few LH F kits in there).

I didn't come up with anything altruistic, though; I went for the pragmatic: I emptied the contents of all the kits onto my bed, and I arranged them into piles according to their purpose. (All the earplugs, and toothbrush/toothpaste went into separate piles, for example.) Then, I organized each pile into its own ziploc bag for ease of selection for future use.

That probably sounds anal, but I'm an engineer, so that's my excuse!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
I collect all I can get, and then donate them when we travel to Vietnam, on our medical/education volunteer trips. We usually make up amenity kits for the children and their families. The kids are having cleft palate/cleft lip repairs, for the most part. They are very much appreciated.
If anyone would like to send me some, or, more importantly, the contents, please send me a PM. I'd be glad to pay the shipping costs.
Thanks!!

Kate
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by beergut
Bet they go down like a bag of ferrets
you'd be suprised... I have a set of SQ pajamas that SD1K gave me in my trunk for when I take lunch breaks at work, it's my pillow
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:01 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by mikew99
Wow, this is a timely thread. Just this past weekend I decided to tackle the growing mound of amenity kits that I have accumulated over the past few years (mostly from UA biz, but there are a few LH F kits in there).

I didn't come up with anything altruistic, though; I went for the pragmatic: I emptied the contents of all the kits onto my bed, and I arranged them into piles according to their purpose. (All the earplugs, and toothbrush/toothpaste went into separate piles, for example.) Then, I organized each pile into its own ziploc bag for ease of selection for future use.

That probably sounds anal, but I'm an engineer, so that's my excuse!
I did that too last year - unfortunately I haven't been distributing the contents of the recent ones so have to revisit
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:34 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I give to family, I already pack what I need in my carry on that's in those packs anyways. My little girls love them and the family likes the little cases to put things in. There are some of the better cases that I've kept and use myself over the years but basically I just hand them out. Same with the headphones, eventhough I use Bose I always take the headphones and give out to folks on my island that rarely travel. As CO is our only airline and most folks don't travel often from here I figure why not take them and give them away instead of them paying CO the $5.00 for the 50 cent headphone that last one or two trips anyways. I guess I'm a pack rat, if they give it out, I'll take it.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, IcelandAir, Starbucks
My stepdad passes his on to me. I still am thrilled by them. I almost always fly economy and find the kits useful for long international flights in coach. I don't get enough of them to be bored or find them useless. In fact, whenever I get off an international flight I have to fight the urge to scavenge one or two amenity kits from the loads that are littering the F cabin seats and pockets after those passengers have left the plane.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:50 am

A friend of mine is on the board of directors at a womens' shelter and I give her all the toiletries I collect when I travel, the shampoos, the soaps etc from the hotels too.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:39 am
Suspended

"They only bring a few dollars each on e-bay, but you can make a profit by charging $10 each for shipping."

Wow, you're a really ethical person. I take it you didn't read the terms and conditions of eBay. Go ahead and sell them, but I wouldn't advocate being a deuce bag in the process.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I donated about 40 (mostly UA C) last summer to Katrina victims. When the current bag gets filled, I will drop it off at a shelter.
I gave my Concorde one to my father. I have saved my BA and VS ones for myself. I am saving my TWA and PanAm ones for old times' sake, but will probably send them to ebay one of these days.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by thegeneral
"They only bring a few dollars each on e-bay, but you can make a profit by charging $10 each for shipping."

Wow, you're a really ethical person. I take it you didn't read the terms and conditions of eBay. Go ahead and sell them, but I wouldn't advocate being a deuce bag in the process.
Most ebay item have shipping charges that are not reasonable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.