Need help with hotel and transportation in Washington DC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with hotel and transportation in Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
1. DCA. If not, then either BWI or IAD will work. It's equally equally (in)convenient to get to DC from BWI and IAD.
2. Public transportation! You don't want the hassle of parking. If you're flying into DCA, take the Metro from the airport. If you're flying into BWI you have an option of taking MARC commuter rail if you're flying in on a weekday or of taking a MetroBus (check wmata.com). For IAD you have the option of taking the Washington Flyer and then the Metro or the cheaper Metrobus which runs every hour.
3. Others have more experience at diff. hotels
4. I second the food court at Union Station for lunch. Plenty of great food choices!

There are many other museums in DC, most, unlike the spy museum, are free. I'd take him to the Air and Space museum as a start and other places if you wish. A AAA guidebook has everything listed.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:30 pm

Consider staying in Old Town Alexandria....there is a Hampton Inn, Hilton, Embassy Suites across the street from the Metro Station....there is also a Holiday Inn on King Street that is very nice and is smack dab in the middle of Old Town. I prefer this area to Crystal City and downtown DC because once you have spent the day in DC, and get back to the hotel, you can just walk outside and have lots of options....ghost walks, tons of restaurants, shops, history, the Potomac.....Alexandria: The Fun Side of the Potomac.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Lots of good ideas here.

Hotels: I'd say Hilton Washington or Woodley Park Marriott, because these hotels are in interesting neighborhoods--good for walking--and by taking the red line metrorail, it is a straight shot to the Spy Museum and Postal Museum (no transferring).

If your kid is adventurous, might consider an Ethiopian restaurant, of which there are many in the Adams-Morgan area (18th Street and Columbia Road), walking distance from the hotels listed above. Why? One eats Ethiopian food wiith the hands... There is also Julie's Empanadas in the A-M area (also downtown).

Pack an umbrella!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Dia HH
As others have pointed out, DCA is the airport of choice. I fly to Washington DC at least 2 a month and the amount of time it saves is amazing. As for BWI or IAD, dragging luggage around on the metro can be a pain especially during rush hour. I would try to avoid taking the metro from the other airports if possible. The Super saver from BWI to downtown DC is only 31 bucks. It might take you 2 hours depending on traffic, but at least its point to point.

As for hotels, if you are a Hilton member, I recommend the Doubletree Suites at 1515 Rhode Island. Great hotel, usually has amazing rates for a hotel in DC and only 3 blocks from Dupot Circle and the metro. You are also only 8-9 blocks from the White House. If you want to be more by the musuems, try the Hilton Garden Inn, but if you are in a mood to spend, the Capital Hilton is the place to stay. Right on the corner of 16 and K street, and only 2 blocks from the White House.

For somethings to see besides the Spy musuem, try the mint tour, something about seeing money printed is awesome and the Holocaust tour is something not to be missed.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
There's a Fuddruckers in DC too - but not near the Spy Museum.
Now there is a Fuddruckers AND a Five Guys Burgers in Chinatown by the Verizon Center - about a 2-minute walk from the Spy Museum. Unfortunately, there aren't many Chinese restaurants (or Chinese PEOPLE) left in Chinatown.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:46 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by Bmoney
As for hotels, if you are a Hilton member, I recommend the Doubletree Suites at 1515 Rhode Island. Great hotel, usually has amazing rates for a hotel in DC and only 3 blocks from Dupot Circle and the metro.
If this is the hotel I'm thinking it is (not that it matters because it's in the neighborhood) some years back (before I moved here) I was almost mugged out in front in broad daylight. Seems 5 teenagers wanted the pizza I was carrying. When I said no we scuffled a bit and they gave up given that at least a dozen people were watching.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Originally Posted by gre
If this is the hotel I'm thinking it is (not that it matters because it's in the neighborhood) some years back (before I moved here) I was almost mugged out in front in broad daylight. Seems 5 teenagers wanted the pizza I was carrying. When I said no we scuffled a bit and they gave up given that at least a dozen people were watching.
Although I have never had a problem like GRE has had with this hotel I am not a huge fan of the location as to me it feels like it is much further from everything then it really is.

For restaurants also try the Clyde's group. They are a local chain with good food and have been in the DC area for 50 years (plus/minus) and are scattered throughout the area. They have burgers and what not for your child and adult entrees for you; this might be a better dinner bet. I regularly send out of town guests here and go myself and I have never been unhappy with the food.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Hotels in and around DC tend to be more expensive when Congress is in session or significant events are occurring. If you have a choice of several weekends, look at hotel rates over them all, as some $300/night rates for some weekends may turn into $120/night rates on other weekends.

If you indicated where you were flying from, I missed it. Since IAD is a UA hub, many (most?) of the UA metal flights into DCA will be from ORD, with a few from other airports such as DEN. Since DCA was (officially or unofficially) a hub or mini-hub for US, there will likely be many more options to get into DCA using US than UA. If you fly in and out of IAD (or BWI?) and want to skip the buses to and from the airport, a weekend rate on a rental car might be a better deal than shuttles or taxis, but check on hotel parking (some have only limited # of spaces or remote lots) and rates.

As long as your focus is the National Mall and nearby museums, I absolutely agree that you want to skip a rental car (except as suggested above) and stay at a hotel convenient to the Metro, if at all possible. If you decide that you want to go see Battlefields or other sights outside of the city, consider flying in or out of IAD, and having a rental car just for that day, to go between hotel, sights, and airport.

I haven't stayed there since it dropped its affiliation with the Loews hotel chain, but I currently have reservations at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel for November. I had very good stays there in the past, and for the entire stay in November which includes some weeknights, the prices were better than any similar or better hotels (3.5*+) in the DC mall or "downtown" areas or close to the metro in Crystal City or Rosslyn.

Also, taxis within DC used to be fairly reasonably priced and are zone based. Rates seem to go up a significant amount if they have to cross the bridge to go into Arlington.

(My last visit was several years ago, but FWIW I liked the view much moreso than the food at the Hotel Washington rooftop restaurants. There was both an open air lounge area which serves food and a regular restaurant. Sans windows and on the side facing the Treasury and White House with views of planes coming in for landing at DCA over the Potomic River, I think the lounge views are better, especially at twilight. In colder weather in the lounge, they may put up clear plastic "curtains" to block the wind. Check rules regarding 10 yr. olds in the lounge; if not permitted in the evenings, go there for a burger at lunch.

You might want to pack a frisbee and go out onto the grass on the Mall to throw it if weather permits. Seems minor but it's an interesting experience to have in the shadows of the Capitol or Washington Monument.

Last edited by TRRed; Jul 5, 2006 at 11:32 am Reason: Reorganize and clarify
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by GWU ESIA STUDENT
For restaurants also try the Clyde's group.
Chinatown also has a Clyde's now. (Dick Cheney and Rummie have been know to drop in there.)
Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
1. DCA
2. Metro
3. There's a Kimpton Hotel (Hotel Monaco?) next to the Spy Museum. I stay at Starwood hotels, but there isn't one I'd give a strong reccomendation to at the moment. The Marriott closest to the Metro stop in Crystal City was pretty good when I stayed there - in the early 90's. I'm not sure how well they've kept up.
4. Union Station is fun. So is the Old Post Office building. The food court is surprisingly good. Be sure to get a cookie from the cookie place - they're huge and cheap and delicious. And you can go up to the observation deck (12th floor?) for free. The views up there are great. I particularly enjoy watching planes come into DCA on the Potomac approach.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:58 am

Go with DCA for the convenience, and the manageable size of the airport will be hassle free for a traveler with a kid. Definitely a "no question about it" if you're doing the metro and no rental car.

Metro is the way to go if you're gonna travel with a 10-yr old. He'll definitely have more fun riding the metro. Plus with any city, parking can be a hassle. I would advise avoiding it during rush hour in the summer time though

Get a hotel in Arlington. I would think you'd be good with a comfortable lodging but not necessarily require a luxury accomodation. I'd try Priceline depending on how the prices are for the hotels you've been looking into. You should be good with a $55-65 bid for 3-4* Arlington area. If you're going to book directly, I suggest specifically Crystal City and vicinity for convenience to DC. Old town Alexandria is fun but I'd do Arlington instead. For Crystal City, I like the Marriotts. I was surprised but the Radisson is pretty ok as well. Avoid Hilton, it's rather dirty. Also avoid Courtyard by Marriott, just don't like the place. Hyatt is ok.

As for food. Someone actually recommended Ruth's Chris and Mortons for this post!??! I hope you don't take offense but this is a trip for a 10 yr boy. I'm sure your son has an exceptional palette for good steak but for me the recommendation is better suited for bday treat for older age group. I would think anything would be fine for a kid that age, they'll gobble up anything. But since it's his bday, I'd take him somewhere fun. I wanted to recommend the Rainforest Cafe in Tysons but it may be out of reach location wise. If you're in Crystal City, you may want to take him to Oyamel. It's a Mexican tapas place. It's little sophisticated so that you can enjoy but not so much that he won't enjoy. It's like finger food so kids may like it. They have good small bite tacos.

Spy Museum is a great idea for places to visit. Also, already mentioned is the Air & Space. Do the IMAX, lol I know but it's fun. If you do the Smithsonian Art Museum, there's a nice little cafe for a bite to eat.

I've recommended sticking with the metro but if you're in town for more than 3 days, I suggest you rent a car for a day or two. Outside DC is fun as well. Go to Baltimore and check out the aquarium. Annapolis is fun during summer as well.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ajk2n123
As for food. Someone actually recommended Ruth's Chris and Mortons for this post!??! I hope you don't take offense but this is a trip for a 10 yr boy. I'm sure your son has an exceptional palette for good steak but for me the recommendation is better suited for bday treat for older age group. I would think anything would be fine for a kid that age, they'll gobble up anything. But since it's his bday, I'd take him somewhere fun. I wanted to recommend the Rainforest Cafe in Tysons but it may be out of reach location wise. If you're in Crystal City, you may want to take him to Oyamel. It's a Mexican tapas place. It's little sophisticated so that you can enjoy but not so much that he won't enjoy. It's like finger food so kids may like it. They have good small bite tacos.
I agree - skip the national-chainfood. Too much good local flavor in D.C., even if the kid likes steaks. Oyamel is a fun suggestion, and I love the earlier idea of Ethiopian. It's a different style that the kid will find fun, but the food itself isn't so unusual that he'll be scared to try it. Lots of good Ethiopian food in DC...
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Everyone seems to be assuming that DCA will work out.

IF not, then re-think option #2 and get a car. Taxis from BWI cost $50+ each way ($65 to Old Town), and rental cars can be as low as $20/day.

Then, if you are "stuck" with a car, make the most of it and stay somewhere with lower parking costs, such as Arlington (Key Bridge Marriott for example). You could use the car to drive the GW parkway to Iwo Jima Memorial, Old Town Alexandria, and Mount Vernon. For days in DC, just walk across Key Bridge to Georgetown, and with a bit of effort you can catch the Metro at Foggy Bottom and have access to the rest of the city. Or, there is a metro stop near the hotel in Rosslyn (subsection of Arlington).

Gtown is not metro-accessible but would be a nice place for lunch--tons of little restaurants. There is one place with pulled pork that is decent but don't recall the name. Other kid-friendly food options: Hard Times chili (Arlington), Faccia Luna pizza (DC and Alexandria). Five Guys just opened a site here in CT--pretty good. Last idea--place called the "Quarter Deck" in Arlington which has steamed crabs. Impossible to find but worth a try, and need a car.

All of the other responses are right on, but just wanted to offer a contingency plan (plus, nobody mentioned Gtown or Mt Vernon).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.