Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Friend died out of town- cost to fly his body home will be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Friend died out of town- cost to fly his body home will be?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:36 am

retirement

Originally Posted by greenery
A friend died in his room during the night while vacationing out in Las Vegas. His relatives are working to get his body back to Pittsburgh so he can have a decent funeral and viewing with his many family and friends. They are quite poor and have no life insurance to pay for expenses.

I was told that the airlines will work with funeral homes all the time to fly the deceased back home. It seems like a nice gesture but also a very expensive option. Maybe it would be better to send the body back via a land route to save money. How is the air transport done and how much should it cost?

I had a friend pass in California and the family could not afford to fly them home. This got me thinking if I bought a refrigerated truck with some of my retirement. Would I be able to assist and bring bodies home for individuals at a reduced rate? Is there a need for this? Would I need certain permits?

thank you.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:12 pm

Apart from any permits... A need? Certainly people would use your service if it would be cheaper than the commercial airline/freight services option. But then you would probably putting (a lot) more money into this than you can charge for your service. Assuming you do this without making any profit, just do the math of what a mile on the road (and your personal hours) would cost you and you will see it won't be cheap enough to be attractive.

I'd say you are either willing to subsidize this business with your own money (and a lot of time) to be nice to people who just lost a love one or you shouldn't even consider it.

or setup a foundation and get donors and a country wide network... the. You might do some good but still would burn a lot of money.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:58 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this is a resurrection of an old thread and the topic is really not that germane to travel, we will close this thread. Thanks for participating. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.