Reload this Page >

Furthest you have driven in one day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furthest you have driven in one day

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:05 am

North America: Solo, from Ithaca, NY to somewhere between Des Moines and Omaha. In late December the day after a big snowstorm and dicey roads until I was past Lake Erie. It was about 14 hours. I had no intention of getting that far but I was alert and just kept going. I would have gone farther but it turns out it’s very hard to find fuel after midnight in Iowa. Looks to be a little over 1000 miles on the map. The next morning I got up and drove to my sister’s place in the suburbs of SLC. Another ~14 hour/1000 mile day. My ultimate destination was Portland, OR but I took a break for a few days!

Australia: Just a few months later, but this time with a friend, took a final exam in the morning, rented a Z4 in Melbourne, drove the whole length of the Great Ocean Road with lots of stops, then continued on to Adelaide! Again we couldn’t find an open gas station late at night. We finally stopped in a small town, went into a pub and started asking the patrons for help! They quickly found someone with a gas can that helped us out. 😀 No idea how many miles/kms since I can’t get google maps to show me that crazy routing.

Europe: Berlin to Gstaad in a day. Also in late December with rain and snow. Long day but no fuel emergencies. 1046 kms
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:00 am

based on 24 hrs period...
US - 922m: Los Angeles to Van Horn, TX en route to Austin. This was done in a Prius and solo!!! The initial thought was to break at El Paso , but I realized another couple of drive was possible and onwards to Van Horn! time taken - 16 hrs. Some of the most desolate landscapes I've ever seen.
India 550 m(875 km)- Coorg, KA to Pune, MH. Those who have driven in India will appreciate the distance covered. This was extended family (6 adults, 2 toddlers) - so lot of breaks and single driver - me. Took about 18 hrs in all with a ton of money in tolls.

The interesting aspect about both these drives are covering places/routes which are unlikely to be repeated. That was the +plus on both.
princeville likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
In thinking about this, I need to revise my earlier statement here, which was Munich-Hamburg and Berchesgaden-Sopron, in a 24-hour context.

In that context, it was Sebring-Philadelphia, almost 1,100 miles (1,770 km).

It rained so much along the way that the wiper blades seemingly melted a little (and this was a BMW 3er), leaving rubber on the windscreen.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Amex
My longest drive in one go was 1,600+ miles, Sandy, UT (near Salt Lake) home to Spring, TX (near Houston). Stops in Cheyenne for supper, and Wichita for Holy Mass.
In my heaviest travel seasons (Feb/May and Aug/Nov) I have 800-1,000 mile days a few times a season (827 miles last Thursday: Nashville/Spring with meetings in Franklin, Nashville, and Memphis); and 500+ mile days every week, oftentimes several.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so far only done 'nonstops' at night about 10 hours up and down east coast of US

including, starting after a long day, a turnaround with only a brief hotel nap on the outbound, not fun
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Emergency

It was relatively recent.
I managed to drive the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint to Philadelphia, PA. for the 2013 American Homebrewers Association's National Homebrew Conference.
On the way back to Chicago, IL., just after topping off the gas tank in Harrisburg, PA. - anticipating my next stop would be a hotel in Youngstown, OH. - just north of Union Deposit Road on US 322 in Harrisburg, my clutch cable broke.
{Do you realize how fortunate I was that this happened then and there? Had this happened 50 miles further up, with US 322 being constructed, I could very well have had a terminal accident, and thus, not able to make any more posts here on Flyertalk.}
The auto wound up at a Pep Boys in Harrisburg.
Its wi-fi was not working. (I could have found the part it needed to fix it [from Beck/Arnley.].)
When it told me it needed to order a part for the auto, and it wasn't sure when said part would be delivered, I resigned myself to two nights in Harrisburg. Thankfully (again), thanks to my prior history in indoor soccer, I knew about how to get around in Harrisburg while waiting for the repair.
At 5:00 pm on the Monday, when my car was declared fixed. I faced the trip back to Chicago.
I do not know whether to consider this an accomplishment, or a survival, but when I got the car back from Pep Boys in Harrisburg, I drove the distance from Harrisburg back to Chicago with no major stops. Having the laptop helped a lot. I was able to link to a webpage showing the cheapest gas station in northeast Ohio on US 30. That was crucial.
Ultimately, given a 30-minute rest in Fort Wayne, IN., I drove from Harrisburg, PA. to Chicago, IL. in thirteen hours.
I hope I never have to do this again.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
In exactly 24 hours I made it from Colorado Springs to Panama City, FL. 1,521 miles. Impressive, given the stops for gas, and getting pulled over for speeding 2 times on the trip. Year was 1994 with lower speed limits..
tryathlete likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
On 9/11 several of us got stuck at a huge AA partners conference in Dallas. If the 13 of us from my company only 9 had drivers licenses and only 3 of the 9 had driven in the last year. So they hired two cars and four drivers. Was a passenger for 36 hours non-stop (pee breaks and fast food only) to get home to NYC. It sucked.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Redhead
On 9/11 several of us got stuck at a huge AA partners conference in Dallas. If the 13 of us from my company only 9 had drivers licenses and only 3 of the 9 had driven in the last year. So they hired two cars and four drivers. Was a passenger for 36 hours non-stop (pee breaks and fast food only) to get home to NYC. It sucked.
I was so lucky to change my 9/11 ticket to 9/10. If I flew as originally scheduled, I would have been stuck at the connecting airport 1000 miles away from home.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Calgary to Toronto!!

Many years ago, my dad and I drove straight through from downtown Calgary Alberta to Oakville, ON a suburb of Toronto. We started around 6 am one day and arrived around 5pm the following day. We had intended to stop in Fargo, ND but all the hotels were full for some reason so we decided to keep going. More than one day, but all in one drive. 2098 miles
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:42 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by osxanalyst
Many years ago, my dad and I drove straight through from downtown Calgary Alberta to Oakville, ON a suburb of Toronto. We started around 6 am one day and arrived around 5pm the following day. We had intended to stop in Fargo, ND but all the hotels were full for some reason so we decided to keep going. More than one day, but all in one drive. 2098 miles
I was struck by the fact that the way to get from one place in Canada to another involves a stretch through the U.S., so I Googled it. Sure enough, most of the trip is south of the border. Cool.
jspira likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OTD
I was struck by the fact that the way to get from one place in Canada to another involves a stretch through the U.S., so I Googled it. Sure enough, most of the trip is south of the border. Cool.
Would it surprise you to know that parts of the lower 48 are north of Canada in some areas?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:17 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by jspira
Would it surprise you to know that parts of the lower 48 are north of Canada in some areas?
No. For instance, I believe you drive south on the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit to Windsor.
jspira likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Early 90's Brooklyn, NY to Waldo, FL en route to Sarasota, FL. Just shy of 1000 miles. I had planned to stop in the Carolinas, but I was in the "zone".
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
San Francisco to Salt Lake with one stop for gas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.