Wiki Posts
Search

Help -- Trains from Geneva to??? :)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Help -- Trains from Geneva to??? :)

Hey Experts!!

I am attending a training in Geneva for a few days and wanted to take some time and visit some cities and towns to the east.... I dont have but maybe 3 or 4 days and I need to end in a city with a fairly big airport. I'm not really a nature person so I have no problem skipping Interlaken... but I would like to get a sense of the magnificent swiss landscape or visit a small charming town ... over all im an urban person and i like museums, cathedrals, and great food and shops.... I thought maybe to visit Lausanne ou Lucerne? Then off to Zurich? If time allows do you think it is worth going to Munich?? What are the best choices in Switzerland as far as cities? If I can see landscape from the train I might be willing to forego a small town visit ...

Waiting for some expert suggestions!!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Lausanne is a big zero. Lucerne is pleasant. Personally, I would take a train to Zermatt (must connect in Brig or Visp)... on the return to Zurich you'll see great scenery from the train.

Geneva to Zermatt is probably 4 hours; Zermatt to Zurich is probably more like 6 hours in nice trains.

I think Munich is too far out of the way. You could also go to Milan, cause there are fast trains to/from both Geneva and Zurich...

Be prepared to be close to bankrupt after the trip.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:19 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by flyrights
And have no miles to show for it
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:33 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by flyrights
Not if you buy a Swiss Rail Flexi Pass with 4 days of travel. 292 CHF which is about $225 USD, for a 2nd-class pass. I got one of these when I jumped on the $215 SFO-ZRH deal last fall. 438 CHF for the first-class pass. Frankly the Swiss trains I took were nice enough that the extra for the 1st class pass wouldn't be worth it to me.

Swiss Rail passes page at:
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/i...flexi-pass.htm
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:32 am
Suspended

I believe the Swiss Rail pass might not cover the portion from Brig to Zermatt, as it's a private railway... check on their website...
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I quite enjoyed Chateau de Chillon, Montreaux, and Vevey. Very quaint.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by MarkXS
Not if you buy a Swiss Rail Flexi Pass with 4 days of travel. 292 CHF which is about $225 USD, for a 2nd-class pass. I got one of these when I jumped on the $215 SFO-ZRH deal last fall. 438 CHF for the first-class pass. Frankly the Swiss trains I took were nice enough that the extra for the 1st class pass wouldn't be worth it to me.

Swiss Rail passes page at:
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/i...flexi-pass.htm
If you get the four consecutive day pass, the price is even lower. As you're only there for four days, that would be the best deal. Yes, it does (unlike the Eurail pass) cover many private railways like Brig to Zermatt. It also covers buses, boats on lakes (if they run in the winter) and all city transport (trams and buses in cities like Geneva and Basle and Zurich). It doesn't, basically, cover railways that take you to the tops of mountains. So you can get to Zermatt, but not to Gornergrat, to Wengen, but not to Jungraujoch.

Now, it is impossible to take a train journey in Switzerland wihtout passing through stunning scenery. So, I wouldn't bother with Zermatt personally unless I actually wanted to go there. The journey isn't better, or worse, than others. The main lines are the quickest, but they're never extremely high speed. Geneva to Zurich takes about three hours and both routes (via Neuchatel or via Berne) are pretty. There's plenty to see in the big cities: Basle, Berne, Zurich.

Try and see one than one region. So go from Geneva to somwhere like Locarno (change at Domodossola) to see the Italian lakes part, then go north to Lucerne or Berne. If there's time, go to the Graubunden area (see trip below).

For me the most stunning rail journey is from Chur to St Moritz, or even further south to Tirano. Trains are hourly (as they are, when not half-hourly, on most routes). You could do it in a day - just - from Zurich, getting back there the same evening.

Go to the main station (Cornavin) when you get to Geneva and get maps and buy your four day pass. Decide where you want to go and enjoy the train as a means of getting there. Personally I think 1st Class is worth the extra. At least ALL your transport costs will be covered for the four days.

And you will get miles if you stay in chains like Best Western (not bad in Switzerland)!
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I quite enjoyed Chateau de Chillon, Montreaux, and Vevey. Very quaint.
We went to Montreux and to the Chateau de Chillon when we were in Switzerland last month. We also took the train to Gstaad. The train ride itself was absolutely glorious with spectacular scenery. Gstaad is a tourist town but still, it's a wonderful train ride. Use the Swiss flex passes to take day trips from Geneva. Next time we want to go to Sion.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!! I really appreciate your amazing advice!! This triip sounds like it will be glorious!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.