Reload this Page >

Strategy to avoid paying a resort fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strategy to avoid paying a resort fee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:29 pm

The interesting thing is that the higher the price of the room, the more hidden charges. This makes it apparent that the practice is not for the purpose of making ends meet.

I'm typing this in the Extended Stay America LAX. Something like $650/week including tax ... and including parking. The only added charge is for Internet access: $5 per stay. Never seen a stealth charge here. There are of course plenty of other hotels nearby, and I would be reimbursed if I were paying considerably more, but this is the only one I've found with a complete kitchenette. Meanwhile people staying nearby are paying $145/day for the room, plus tax, plus $10/day for parking, plus $10/day for Internet access, and still complaining about stealth charges.

Just greed.

Edward
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:51 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by CIMorse
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.
And trust me, the hotel gets worse every year. I have been going there for the past 7 years for an annual convention, and the service sucks more each subsequent year. And check your bill CAREFULLY before you leave - they tend to put charges there that don't belong to you. I never had a car there but they always seem to want to charge me $24.50 per day for parking.

I needed to have some faxing service done - $1.50 per page - including the cover page - sending and receiving.

Room service - outrageous! Don't even think about taking anything from the mini-bar either.

And this was for a room that was $475 per night before taxes/fees/etc.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
And trust me, the hotel gets worse every year. I have been going there for the past 7 years for an annual convention, and the service sucks more each subsequent year. And check your bill CAREFULLY before you leave - they tend to put charges there that don't belong to you. I never had a car there but they always seem to want to charge me $24.50 per day for parking.
Yep- my professional society used to meet there every once in awhile. Last time the prices were so outrageous we haven't been back since. I did love the peach-scented shampoo, though.

And I think there must be a way of getting around "resort fees" if they're illegal in FL. Two weeks ago I was at The Palms in South Beach and they tacked on some sort of daily fee that included Internet access. One thing I've started to do is complain to our society's meeting planners. They negotiate these contracts and when places are courting business travelers (well-heeled, less likely to get drunk and trash the rooms), it's highway robbery to charge add-on fees for high-speed Internet, which most business travelers require. I told them they need to negotiate a rate and then tell them it includes Internet and there will be no add-on charges (other than possibly parking) or they'll make a deal with the place down the road. As it is, many of us stay at "down the road" places such as a Courtyard or Hampton Inn when available, rather than stay at the convention hotel, because we get more services for less.

We'll see what happens.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mikew99
Since you have no direct control over the hotel in this case, the only thing you can do is to make sure to write a comment on the conference evaluation to say how much you disapprove of the resort fees. If enough people do that, maybe the conference organizers will consider that next time. I know it's a long shot, but apart from laws that make this sort of thing illegal, I don't know what else to do....
This is a VERY GOOD idea. Attendees and sponsors make or break a conference. If the conference is put together by a top knotch organization, they will respond to you.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by CIMorse
. . . These sort of tack-ons burn me up. Ah well, I'm swimming against the tide since adding mandatory fees to published costs is the norm for travel these days.
Ah, but if you are swimming, then you ARE using the resort!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.