Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

luggage that is gate-checked -- where does it go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

If you have to gate-check luggage because there isn't enough overhead space on a normal-sized airliner, can you then pick it up at the gate after the flight lands, or do you then have to go all the way to regular luggage claim and wait around to get it (assuming that's the only luggage you have)?

Or does it vary by airline?

I've only had to gate-check on little planes most of the time, where no one's roll-aboard would fit, and got it back at the gate.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:42 pm

Programs: VX elevate ,CO Gold,DL GM
i believe you have to go to baggage claim if not on a CRJ or such
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by tsw1
i believe you have to go to baggage claim if not on a CRJ or such
If travelling F, Alaska has it ready for you as you deplane.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Angry

US Airways puts in on the baggage claim for an O&D flight; not sure about connections.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
What if you tell the airline to connect the baggage for you if it went to baggage claim while you run catch the next flight?

Otherwise what if you tell the airline you will hold them responsible for bump compensation, even if the connecting flight is not full, if you don't make the connection because yuo were waiting at baggage cl;aim?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:47 pm

Gate checked baggage appears on the belt with the checked stuff after the flight. They just toss the bags in hold and off the plane goes!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Not sure what other carriers do, but on CRJs, dash 8s and other various small planes with Air Canada, a gate checked piece of luggage will be available to you once you deplane. It will not go to the luggage belt. If you gate check on a small plane, it is not checked through.

On all the larger planes on Air Canada, gate checked baggage ends up on the belt with regularly checked luggage. If you gate check on a large plane, they will check it through to your final destination.

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.