Wiki Posts
Search

Elite TSA lines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Elite TSA lines

Ok I am putting on my flame retardant suit...

I am new to the status scene and was wondering how other flyers felt about the special TSA security lines for status level FFs. I was under the impression that TSA is government funded; i.e. communal money from all citizens. When I go the post office there are no lines for frequent mailers to jump the que or receive special expedited service. I think this can be said for most goverment service institutions, there is no express frequent foreign traveler customs line, is there? (I know it is amazing what a black passport gets you, that aside).

I am a lowly 2P on UA, so maybe I don't travel enough to see the justice in these line. I do however realize that people who fly once a year take 5 to 7 times as long to get through security because they don't understand the drill, but if everyone is paying taxes for this service shouldn't everyone get the same treatment. I notice that IAD, DCA and possibly BWI have no special lines. Is this because of their location?

Do people flying FC, BizClass, or other elite flyers pay a higher security fee? Do the airlines give a higher amount to TSA or in taxes for these flyers?

Just a curiosity!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
TSA don't run the lines. It's the dominant airline at the terminal which does. They are the one who set up the lines and hire the checkers who look at your boarding passes and direct you to the correct line.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:26 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I will admit that there are times where I feel guilty using the elite line, when there are 100's of people in line and I am able to immediately enter an empty line and jump to the front I do feel bad. But you know what, at the same time I also know that most of those people will spend most nights in their own bed and that I have earned my perks. No we dont pay more in taxes (% wise) but we do support the airline industry (actually the whole hospitality/travel industry). We FF's spend more in airports, on airline tickets, hotels, rental cars and so on than most everyone else. We were what kept those industries floating post 9/11 when Joe traveller was too afraid to leave home. And so yes we do deserve some comforts that make our lives a little easier!!!! Not to mention that if you figure TSA salaries come out of airline taxes, we do pay most of it since we have more airline tickets than most people. If you want, call us frequent visitors to security screening!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
TSA don't run the lines. It's the dominant airline at the terminal which does. They are the one who set up the lines and hire the checkers who look at your boarding passes and direct you to the correct line.

Ok, so how do people feel about private companies controlling access to government services?

Should the dominant company in a town get to decide the order in which people receive emergency services or education?

Just a thought...
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I don't think you analogy is quite accurate. The Airports "Own" the square footage in the terminal, and lease it to the airlines. The airlines are required by law to screen passengers, and most airports in the US use the TSA to accomplish that screening (the airlines charge $10 per ticket in a fee that is passed on to us the travelers), but it's still the airline's job. They (the airlines) set up the lines, hire the ID checkers, and handle the flow of Pax in airport so they are the ones controlling access. So, If I give the airline controlling access $50,000 per year in revenue and the average traveler is less than $500 I don't feel bad using the elite line
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

So each person travels on a single ticket on a given day. So that day, as you go to the lines, everyone has paid the same amount for their travel screening.

I do understand that the more you fly the more you contribute overall to the system. I also see how the airlines control their setup and access situations.

I also think the reason my anology is a bit off is because there is no perfect match for this situation. In theory everyone should have equal access to a government mandated and supplied service regardless of status, ticket price, or any other factors.

Again, I am just putting this out there to get other's thoughts.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:53 pm

I've heard all the lame excuses for this appalling misuse of my tax dollars. (One fellow even told me that I must not fly enough, because I would KNOW that those weren't TSA personnel? Duh, if only. And, as if I can't read a badge on a uniform!) The special treatment bothers me no end. Fine, pay for the extra roomy seat on the airplane and the "free" cocktails and food--but don't think that this entitles you to be whisked through security, too!
And, this will make the priviledged elite come up with all kinds of retorts about why they deserve this. But it's nonsense.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I don't think there's much to think about. FAA/TSA removed the lines shortly after 9/11, but then allowed them back the next year. They're satisfied that the dominant airlines can route their lines whatever way they want. Not their jurisdiction.

As for the travelers, those who qualify to use them like them, those who don't don't. If you don't like the way you're treated at an airport, you can fly a different airline at a different terminal or different airport. Or become an elite or fly first/business class.

I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I would have to believe that they also have found that it causes less "line rage" letting the folks who are used to getting through the screening to go ahead and not get stuck behind a lot of people who have never done this before, or do it sporadically.

I for one know that nothing sets me off like standing in line (at an airport without elite lines) and having to wait behind someone with a 12" metal belt buckle, who keeps a years salary in change in his pockets, has their coat on, and so on on and so on who doesnt remove ANYTHING til he is the first person in line at the xray machine, and has to walk through 4 times because he doesnt empty his metal out. I know the routine and can do in 30 seconds what it takes him 10 minutes to do, why should I have to wait? And yes if I have to wait I am going to have a 'tude about it!!! It is what it is. I spend too much time on the road to spend hours in that line!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: US Silver Preferred
Originally Posted by Lehava
I for one know that nothing sets me off like standing in line (at an airport without elite lines) and having to wait behind someone with a 12" metal belt buckle, who keeps a years salary in change in his pockets, has their coat on, and so on on and so on who doesnt remove ANYTHING til he is the first person in line at the xray machine, and has to walk through 4 times because he doesnt empty his metal out. I know the routine and can do in 30 seconds what it takes him 10 minutes to do, why should I have to wait? And yes if I have to wait I am going to have a 'tude about it!!! It is what it is. I spend too much time on the road to spend hours in that line!
I'm by no means a "frequent" flyer, as my schedule and budget don't permit it. However, I have flown more than enough to know the drill. So...by your reasoning, why should I have to put up with those that hold things up? Status is earned on an airline. This gives you perks pertaining to that airline (and it's partners). However, this is where the perks should stop IMO. On any particular day, we're all paying the same amount for the TSA circus. Flying enough to gain perks on an airline shouldn't equate to perks within a federally mandated program. I understand that in many cases it is airline employees controlling access to TSA lines, but that just seems like a cheap way around the system to me. What if I'm flying out of a concourse containing many airlines and those employees directing traffic don't like my choice of airline. Do they have the right to direct me to the "normal" rather than the "elite" line?
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by beachsoc6
Ok I am putting on my flame retardant suit...

Do people flying FC, BizClass, or other elite flyers pay a higher security fee? Do the airlines give a higher amount to TSA or in taxes for these flyers?

Just a curiosity!
We don't pay more per ticket in that sense, but we do pay more over all as we fly more than the average traveler. I don't think there is anything wrong with airlines treating thier premium passengers differently at any stage of travel. I fly more base miles than some people fly in 20 years, for me that earns status on an airline - that airline says "thank you for being a good customer, we'd like to reward you by making your travel experience a little easier."

I appreciate that - if you dont like it fly somewhere else...

-Vincent
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:41 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by scophreak
I'm by no means a "frequent" flyer, as my schedule and budget don't permit it. However, I have flown more than enough to know the drill. So...by your reasoning, why should I have to put up with those that hold things up? Status is earned on an airline. This gives you perks pertaining to that airline (and it's partners). However, this is where the perks should stop IMO. On any particular day, we're all paying the same amount for the TSA circus. Flying enough to gain perks on an airline shouldn't equate to perks within a federally mandated program. I understand that in many cases it is airline employees controlling access to TSA lines, but that just seems like a cheap way around the system to me. What if I'm flying out of a concourse containing many airlines and those employees directing traffic don't like my choice of airline. Do they have the right to direct me to the "normal" rather than the "elite" line?
So you are saying, even the first class passengers should not get a special
line since they pay the same TSA fees.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I don't think there's much to think about. FAA/TSA removed the lines shortly after 9/11, but then allowed them back the next year. They're satisfied that the dominant airlines can route their lines whatever way they want. Not their jurisdiction.

As for the travelers, those who qualify to use them like them, those who don't don't. If you don't like the way you're treated at an airport, you can fly a different airline at a different terminal or different airport. Or become an elite or fly first/business class.

I don't see anything wrong with that.
Actually, I have elite status and can you these lines in some airports. Also as I mentioned before all three of my home airports (IAD, DCA, BWI) do not offer these lines, at least not to my knowledge.

I was putting this out there to see what people had to say about it and wether or not a majority opinion on this board was that it is "fair".

I hate IAD security, it is a huge craps shoot. Maybe all of a sudden a new line opens and people jump fifty other people in line due to luck, but at least everyone waits in the same spot for the service they all paid the same amount for on that given travel itinerary.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:49 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by beachsoc6
I hate IAD security, it is a huge craps shoot. Maybe all of a sudden a new line opens and people jump fifty other people in line due to luck, but at least everyone waits in the same spot for the service they all paid the same amount for on that given travel itinerary.
I'd pay extra flying out of another airport or just drive to my destination instead
of flying through IAD.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Maybe the best example of this is customs inspection. I know in many places they have seperate lines for nationals and foriegn visitors. In no place, that I have been, have I seen a seperate line for first class fliers or elite fliers with any airline.

As was mentioned before the Airports own this space as well and lease their gates to airlines. In no airport have I ever seen the airlines given permission to control lines and access to the Customs agents for entry screening. This seems just like security screening, government employees providing a government mandated service. Maybe I am overlooking something in this example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.