Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Did I see a dead body being loaded into the cargo hold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I see a dead body being loaded into the cargo hold?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by GWU ESIA STUDENT
Apparently this is a huge money maker for Delta between FL and the Northeast. Does anyone know if this is true?
LOTS of folks(too many for most of us natives ) like to retire to Florida. For fun find a Palm Beach or Ft. Lauderdale or similar yellow pages. Under Movers will be companies who only move from a small NE area "Central NJ" or so to that town. So many come from one area up North to one part of Fla that moving companies can make a living transiting Only between those two parts.

After a few years two other ads tell the story. One is Estate Sales, to liquidate the stuff that the recently departed brought to Florida. The other is Funeral Homes, some which advertise in big letters "We Specialize in Returning your Ambient Temperature Yankee Relatives Back to Central NJ Where They Came From".

I assume most go by plane. Shipping departed retirees back out of Florida is Big Business.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Talking

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
(too many for most of us natives )
Whats a native Floridian??? I grew up in FL and I cannot think of very many over the age of about 30. I always figured that everyone in Florida over the age of 30 came by way of New York.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whats a native Floridian???
That "FLL" on your sig is the reason. Everyone south of Orlando came from up north, or that big cigar island down south of EYW. Up north of MCO are some real natives.

Unlike you Yankees, when we travel we have the ability to find our way home again.

I am one of the few natives left. FWIW I am a fifth generation Floridian and happen to live about one mile from where great-great-grandad had his cabin in 1848. When you already live in Paradise, there is no place to move to, so here we stay. You think I'm going to pack up and move to Detroit? Did you just get of the plane from AMS?

I've seen a lot of folks come one way down I-75 and I-95. Guess I am one of the few who can still advocate the Great Florida Improvement Idea: Build a wall at the Georgia line and keep those "furriners" out.

OTOH, we kind of got used to how you tourists and retirees all help Keep Florida Green--come down here and leave all your money. ^ Don't worry, when you expire we'll mail you back to the Oranges or the Hamptons or wherever you came from.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:26 pm
sundriedmilk

Are caskets opened and inspected, or x-rayed, before being allowing on the plane? Or is it like regular cargo?

Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
When my Dad died in late 2004, we had to arrange to have his casket shipped from Florida to DC, because he was buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetary.

My brother learned that one of his employee benefits as an American Airlines pilot is free transport of the casket for an immediate family member; in fact there is a page in the employee handbook that addresses this benefit and how to fill out the appropriate paperwork.

Not your typical employee "perk"...
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:48 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by ghurty
El Al airlines allows you to call up before flight time and ask if they are going to be carrying a casket on board a particular flight
I don't want to crap on anyone's religion, but this kind of thing is totally stupid. Creating problems out of nothing -- as if you would've been affected any worse if you flew without knowing that there was a body in cargo. Or them saying that "no" we don't carry bodies when they actually do. All of this just to change how someone *feels* about something!
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA2P
Just as a historical note, embalming began as solution to the problem of transporting Union bodies back home by train during the Civil War.

It was the smell, don'tcha know.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by buzzer
Just as a historical note, embalming began as solution to the problem of transporting Union bodies back home by train during the Civil War.

"As I lay dying" by Wm. Faulkner, to truly appreciate the joy of travelling with a corpse.

P.S. Do not let young ones drill holes in the casket so that Grandma can breathe
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes there is. High priests or Coheniem cannot go near dead bodies or they become unpure; this includes modern day cemeteries. The law is derived from the days of the Temple in Jerusalem. Generally speaking people with the last name of Cohen who are jewish are Coheniem and if they are observant they cannot go near a dead body; thus EL AL being willing to let anyone know.
What would such a person do halfway across the ocean, a couple hours from the nearest airport, if a fellow passenger died on the plane? Ask to be let off immediately? Is there an exception to the rule if they did not knowingly get on a plane with a body, but a body just kinda showed up?

No doubt when these rules became law back in the Old Days the concept of an aluminum tube at 39,000 feet at max ETOPS range were not taken into consideration.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by buzzer

Specifically, arterial embalming.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
What would such a person do halfway across the ocean, a couple hours from the nearest airport, if a fellow passenger died on the plane? Ask to be let off immediately? Is there an exception to the rule if they did not knowingly get on a plane with a body, but a body just kinda showed up?

No doubt when these rules became law back in the Old Days the concept of an aluminum tube at 39,000 feet at max ETOPS range were not taken into consideration.
There has been more than one thread on FlyerTalk about being on a plane were a fellow Pax died in flight. It happens.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by TA
I don't want to crap on anyone's religion, but this kind of thing is totally stupid. Creating problems out of nothing -- as if you would've been affected any worse if you flew without knowing that there was a body in cargo. Or them saying that "no" we don't carry bodies when they actually do. All of this just to change how someone *feels* about something!
Well, you just did crap on many people's religion, for many people, religion is based on adhering to specific law of conduct - If you're Hindu, you can't eat meat, if your Jewish, you have to follow the laws of the Old Testament. In the Old Testament, there are very specific laws on handling "clean" and "unclean" items. A dead person is considered "unclean" and only certain people are allowed to prepare the dead for burial, after which they must perform rituals to cleanse themselves. I'm not that surprised that the flag carrier of Israel would allow people the choice of not flying on a plane with a body in the cargo hold.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak

I don't make up the rules; I just repeat them.

BTW I was born in CHS so does that make me ok or not?

(Post #700 )
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sundriedmilk
Are caskets opened and inspected, or x-rayed, before being allowing on the plane? Or is it like regular cargo?
I'm curious about that as I just watch "Lord of War" on DVD. I was wondering how realistic that scene is near the end of the movie.

-Spoiler Warning for those that didn't see the movie-

The scene where Yuri gets arrested because a bullet showed up on a xray of his dead brother's body as it was coming through customs.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parachute, oxygen bottle and life raft, perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.