Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you develop diarrhea during flight, can you stay in the lavatory during landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you develop diarrhea during flight, can you stay in the lavatory during landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MKEbound
how are you going to prove what caused your stomach problem?
Many of the bugs that cause stomach problems do so very quickly- in a matter of hours. If you're on a 14 hour flight and you get sick, end up in the hospital, and get an idea of what bug you were infected with, the food you had can be sampled (all the un-eaten food left on the plane, or more likely wherever the food was prepared) for the same bug. Of course, it is expected that many other people would be sick as well.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by venice4504
She was excreting so much gresey stuff that it would make it onto her skirt and/or pants? That's just gross.

Sounds to me like the people who make Xenical should get together with a sanitary pad manufacturer and provide them along with the 'medicine'.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:03 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I ALWAYS fly with Immodium and Cipro. Immodium when it's not bad...and Cipro when it doesn't work. I guess it's my fault when I travel to cities where there are bugs with names no one can pronounce

Last edited by party_boy; Jan 26, 2006 at 6:23 am
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Delhi 8 years ago I was going to the loo every 15 minutes at my hotel. Ended up taking about 8 imodoium tablets, I was dreading the journey to the airport let alone the flight! Anyway it must have been the 8th tablet or the sheer will power but I locked up and didn't need the loo for about 3 days afterwards

I suppose the consolation is that it's very unlikely you will see any of your copassengers ever again and given that you are landing that will be up and off the plane pretty quick.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, United
Originally Posted by sundriedmilk
My questions:

1) should the guy be allowed to stay in the lav?
I was on a flight from MCO to DFW where someone spent almost the entire trip in the lav. The FA team got him out at the very end and got him back to his seat, but he fled back into the lav within 3 minutes. He would not come out of the lav, we were on final approach, gear down and descending when the pilot aborted landing. After circiling for 20 minutes, and having the FA team do everthing to get him out (I was close to the LAV) he refused to come out. The pilot just landed the plane with him in the LAV. As I was deplaning they were bringing a stretcher down to take him off.

Luckily I did not miss my connection (was last flight to my destination for the day) but I would have been somewhat un-happy had that occured.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
A friend of mine was white water rafting Nepal a few years ago and on the last day nearly drowned. Held under the water for almost a minute, he wasn't hospitalised and so flew home very sick the next day. During the flight (via AUH) he got rather ill, instead of hopping between his seat and the bathroom every few minutes he got the crew to effectively "seal off" one toilet and designate it for his use only. He told me he spent about 90% of the flight in there (more comfortable than his Y seat ) but he did have to come out for landing. The crew basically gave him until the 11th hour and then he went back to his seat.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Should I be concerned that I'm reading this thread
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:48 pm

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
Originally Posted by cj001f
If he's locked in the lav? Think people, think. And no he won't hit the ceiling on the first bump either - if the landing was that hard you'd probably break the gear. Get a grip.
I met someone years ago who did get locked in the lav for landing. The crew could not get the door open and told her to brace herself for landing. A maintenance team came on when they'd landed and removed the door (or something similar)
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by civicmon
Should have a lot of Immodium on hand as well in a case like this.
Excellent advice. I will carry it on all of my flights.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Plugging the leak Hans Brinker style

I'm surprised that some clever inventor has not come up with a personal plug shaped like the Dutch boy's finger in the Hans Brinker legend of the boy who saved Holland by plugging the leak in the dike.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm surprised a doctor would give the co-worker Xenical for a 10-lb weight loss. It's a prescription drug & is usually given to obese folk. LA Times had an article in the paper last week that they're coming out w/ an over-the-counter version; same icky side effects according to the article.

I usually travel w/ a dose of cold medicine, immodium, etc, just in case of illness on plane or on trip. When I flew back from LHR in Dec I spent a lot of time in the lav on the way to/from (luckily my C seat was near it) due to a simple bladder infection. Turns out the first antibiotic they gave me was resistant to the bug & didn't prescribe the 2nd until I returned. And evidently I wasn't resistent to the bug the guy sitting next to me coughed out for 8 hours because I came down w/ the flu 24 hours after landing. All around it was a sucky trip, although it did clinch my 1K status.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Many years ago on a Sh!ttle flight from SFO/LAX there was a young teenage boy who spent the flight in the F lav due to some bug. The FA begged for him to return to his seat. He said he couldn't. After several discussions with him (through the door) and the pilot, they finally let him stay in there. The flight landed with him in the lav.

So whether or not it is against FAA requirements, I've seen it happen before.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Canada Flyer
In reply to your questions:

1) No, as it is dangerous for him, and for fellow passengers
Sorry to appear thick, but how is it dangerous to fellow passengers?

It's a serious question, but all I can think of is the farcical reason that 'without a seatbelt he might accidentally, without a seatbelt, when they touched down, burst through the LOCKED door and spray the fellow passengers and give them a communicable disease?

FWIW, I'm an Immodium carrier for ONLY these type of situations, but never want to have to use it - just like life insurance .

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:31 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Just my opinion, if the air crew dragged someone out of the rest room or denied someone access to the rest room, the airline could not hold the person responsible for soiling of seats or other parts of the plane.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:25 am

Advice please

I came across this thread as I am currently experiencing this problem and within four hours of today, we are driving up to Vermont for a snowboarding trip.

I am 100% positive it was the airline food that made me sick, because I did not have this problem until I ate their dinner.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.