Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Immigration Exit Controls in Canada/Toronto?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration Exit Controls in Canada/Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Exit Controls for anywhere but the US

Hi guys

I know that there is no exit controls for the US. However, the US shares all this info with Canada immigration when you leave. I am from the States and overstayed my 6months tourist visa. I am wondering if I fly out to Mexico or Caribbean and just use my drivers license to get in (americans aren't supposed to need a passport for Mexico, Bahamas, etc), if the canadian immigration will know. I don't want to get temporarily banned from Canada for overstay. Does anyone know if this will work? Or does the airline share flight/passenger info with immigration.

thanks
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:26 pm
Suspended

As the flight will pass over U.S. territory, then the 2 countries share advance passenger information. Since you are originating from Canada, they will ask for your passport before you board... really, really doubt they will take just a DL.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Passenger Info Sharing/etc

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
As the flight will pass over U.S. territory, then the 2 countries share advance passenger information. Since you are originating from Canada, they will ask for your passport before you board... really, really doubt they will take just a DL.
Well, I have flown to Mexico before without a passport. For American citizens, you don't need a passport. Just like you don't need a passport to go to Canada. So why would it make a difference if I fly from Canada directly to Mexico with a DL only? And what do you mean they share information? You mean the airline shares info with immigration?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by miltons70
Well, I have flown to Mexico before without a passport. For American citizens, you don't need a passport. Just like you don't need a passport to go to Canada. So why would it make a difference if I fly from Canada directly to Mexico with a DL only? And what do you mean they share information? You mean the airline shares info with immigration?
The information in your PNR/record locator -- including APIS-related information (which does include passport information increasingly so) gets shared by both governments and at least is used by the US government. (And that which is not given to the US government is increasingly subject to being stolen by US government hacking agencies or contractors for such.)

For those few places which still allow travel without a passport for Americans, a DL and birth certificate -- or other such similar document supporting citizenship/residence -- is suggested. A passport is still recommended.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
For whatever its worth, the worst airport experiences I've ever had re-entering the U.S. have been at YYZ. Let me be very clear upfront in saying most of the time its still a very clear, smooth, hassle-free and professional process. Even with that, most of the few occasions involving an inconvenience have been relatively minor.

I do, however, know of one Canadian business associate of my wife's who was hassled and detained for a rather long period of time over her planned activities at her company's booth at an exhibition here where I live in the Chicago area. As it ultimately turned out, she had all her paperwork etc. filled out correctly (as had been the case in previous years), but she still missed her flight and had to forfiet one night's hotel deposit.

This diminutive blonde Irish-Canadian girl and the handmade pins and bracelets she sells represent about as national security, or economic threat as would Barney the Dinosaur. But apparently she was not worthy to be let into the country until she agreed that she would hire an American citizen to handle cash transactions (mostly under $20 each) in her booth. She also had to agree not to touch the money in the booth herself. (Hope she didn't make the mistake of stepping out for a coke.)

I for one sleep better at night knowing that this issue has been looked after by our authorities.

Anyway, however, as I said, usually the folk at U.S. Customs and Integration at YYZ are just fine. Last time I went through there...about two years ago...the guy checking me in told me that since 911, they've been understaffed and all working long hours, cancelled days off etc. Maybe that has something to do with things.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
For whatever its worth, the worst airport experiences I've ever had re-entering the U.S. have been at YYZ. Let me be very clear upfront in saying most of the time its still a very simple, smooth, hassle-free and professional process. Even with that, most of the few occasions involving an inconvenience have been relatively minor.

I do, however, know of one Canadian business associate of my wife's who was hassled and detained for a rather long period of time over her planned activities at her company's booth at an exhibition here where I live in the Chicago area. As it ultimately turned out, she had all her paperwork etc. filled out correctly (as had been the case in previous years), but she still missed her flight and had to forfiet one night's hotel deposit.

This diminutive blonde Irish-Canadian girl and the handmade pins and bracelets she sells represent about as much national security, or economic threat as would Barney the Dinosaur. But apparently she was not worthy to be let into the country until she agreed that she would hire an American citizen to handle cash transactions (mostly under $20 each) in her booth. She also had to agree not to touch the money in the booth herself. (Hope she didn't make the mistake of stepping out for a coke.)

I for one sleep better at night knowing that this issue has been looked after by our authorities.

Anyway, however, as I said, usually the folk at U.S. Customs and Integration at YYZ are just fine. Last time I went through there...about two years ago...the guy checking me in told me that since 911, they've been understaffed and all working long hours, cancelled days off etc. Maybe that has something to do with things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.