Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

24 hrs later, my ear still hasn't "popped." Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 hrs later, my ear still hasn't "popped." Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Ear finally popped! Thx...(24 hrs later, my ear still hasn't "popped." Suggestions?)

I landed in BNA yesterday and my right ear still has not equilibrated to the pressure. It feels like I have water in my ear but I don't. I've tried pinching my nose and blowing, but that just pops my left ear. I have a bit of a head cold, so that isn't helping.

It is really, really annoying. It feels like it goes away when I lay down, but when I stand up again it is back.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get my ear back to normal?

thanks
-john

Last edited by 0john0; Jan 13, 2006 at 11:21 am Reason: problem fixed
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:07 am

Sounds like you may have the beginnings of an ear infection. Check to see if you can get into the doctor or an urgent care clinic to have your ear examined.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Elevator rides can sometimes "cure" this, as can chewing on something hard (like very crusty bread). If those fail, I concur with the recommendation to see a doctor, though I'd suggest an ENT one; it could be wax that just needs to be cleaned out but I'd want someone who does that a lot to be doing it.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Try chewing gum or using saline nasal spray. You might try holding your nose and swallowing. If you can't get into a doctor or urgent care clinic, see if you can pick up a murine ear wax removal kit. If it's just wax, that might help.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I get this sometimes when I fly with a cold. It is usually at first a pressure issue, then I think it becomes a wax issue. So I recommend the wax treatment as mentioned above or have your doctor do it.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:13 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
lots of jaw movement

I've had lots of ear trouble in my life...
you need to have lots of jaw movement, movement into the ear canal, allowing the air to move, and 'equalize' - just like a diver...
that being said, if you've been chewing like a cow in spring - it's time to see a doctor...

I've also been told to go sit at the bottom of the pool...

good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Relief!!

After taking some antihistimines, decongestants, chewing two packs of gum and spraying liters of nose spray up my nostril, I was finally able to "pop" my right ear. I think flushing the mucous out of my sinuses really helped in clearing the ear canal.

Thanks for all the advice. I was trying to find a tall building in town to take an elevator ride, seriously!!

-John
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Saline nose sprays are very good for both flushing mucus out of your sinuses and for moisturizing your nasal passages, which can be quite useful on a long flight. Glad you finally got relief!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I was going to suggest antihistamines & decongestants, but it sounds like you figured it out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.