How fat can you be and still fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How fat can you be and still fly?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 6:41 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
just wondering -- anyone ever think maybe the airlines should make the seats wider?

its SO easy to blame the fat guy - happens every day every minute... more than any other group period. no laws for the fat guy.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 7:18 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by allen074
just wondering -- anyone ever think maybe the airlines should make the seats wider?
Nope. Most people fit just fine in the standard size seat. No reason for everyone to pay more to subsidize people who need more than 1 standard seat. The seats are not THAT small.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 7:22 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I completely agree, I would be soooo...... comfortable with the seat being ¾" wider.

It's those darn skinny aircraft designers that can't get a date and all they eat is baloney sandwiches

Old Dec 16, 2005, 7:49 pm

This thread is not remotely Delta specific.......
Old Dec 16, 2005, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
This thread is not remotely Delta specific.......
I agree. We have been there and done this type of topic too many times. IMHO, it is time to put this thread on a permanent DL diet and move it over to TravelBuzz.

Rssrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 16, 2005 at 9:15 pm
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by Lehava
they only go after people who are fat, but there are a LOT of reasons that impeded on other people's space, long legs, wide shouldered men, too much crap they are holding, a non-seated child who is not being controlled well, the grandmother I sat next to last week who insisted her arms MUST be held like wings while she crochetted. .
The person in the next seat may go after any of the above taking up part of said next seat and the airline must deliver satisfaction.
its SO easy to blame the fat guy - happens every day every minute... more than any other group period. no laws for the fat guy.
Nobody is blaming the fat guy for being fat. Nobody has the right to single out the fat guy for causing discomfort in the way of sight, smell, hearing or taste. But we have the right to single out anyone for causing discomfort in the way of touch. The fat guy might not have the ability to not cause discomfort at the moment but he has/had choices, he could reserve more space or he could take a later flight that had surplus space.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Last edited by AllanJ; Dec 16, 2005 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't help but laugh after reading the title.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
the proper response to the title is: as long as you can fit through the door you can probably fly.

:P
I didn't think this thread belonged in DL either. IN any event, I sometimes have difficulty due to having large shoulders. I usually just sit in F but if that is not possible I sit in an aisle and lean out so as to not disturb my seatmates.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by entropy
the proper response to the title is: as long as you can fit through the door you can probably fly.
What if the main cabin doors are blocked in an emergency? Are the overwing exits smaller than the main door? How about the exit row on a CRJ? Those things don't have much more room than a regular Y row.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 8:38 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy
what about me? I can't fit thru the door vertically. I have to duck, which is the same as having to squeeze in horizontally. Maybe my long legs offend the person next to me when I have to spread my knees out when the guy in front of me reclines. THAT'S A KILLER!
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:08 am

No.
Not blaming anyone. I just think the seats are fine for most people.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by docmonkey
No.
Not blaming anyone. I just think the seats are fine for most people.
Most munchkin people. For those of us over 6' tall they are not "fine." Unfortunately, the designs - and the rules - are made by the munchkin majority.

JR
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Most munchkin people. For those of us over 6' tall they are not "fine." Unfortunately, the designs - and the rules - are made by the munchkin majority.

JR
I'm 6' and not a munchkin. Sometimes I feel cramped on long flights, but it's OK at my height. I admit it would be more uncomfortable if I were much taller. For taller people like you I hope you have luck with the exit row. Legroom is good, but the whole AA MRTC thing showed that most people aren't willing to pay for it.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by docmonkey
I'm 6' and not a munchkin. Sometimes I feel cramped on long flights, but it's OK at my height. I admit it would be more uncomfortable if I were much taller. For taller people like you I hope you have luck with the exit row. Legroom is good, but the whole AA MRTC thing showed that most people aren't willing to pay for it.
Agree to an extent. I think the whole UA E+ thing shows that many ARE willing to pay for it - either through obtaining status or paying a bit extra at check-in.

JR
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: United MP
Yes they should, but not by much. The guy this thread refers to still wouldn't fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.