Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Platinum
What is Appropriate 'Courtesy' for 'Larger' Passengers?

This brings to mind an extreme problem a friend experienced when we were students flying back from ATH to JFK on Olympic Airlines. The friend, who weighed 100 pounds soaking wet, was pleased to receive a window seat for the 10-hour flight. That is, until a 350lb lady sat in the neighboring two seats. As the FA was applying a seatbelt extender, my friend meekly asked if she could switch with the large, clearly immobile woman. The FA was outraged and asked how such a large woman would be able to use the restroom if she was seated by the window, and proceeded to strap her down. Ten hours later, my friend had not been able to get up for a bathroom run herself, as her neighbor could not move without significant assistance.

The question is how does an airline handle a situation where a larger passenger has purchased two seats specifically to handle the issue of girth and disability, but it still impacts other passengers? If this were governed by US law under the ADA, its a no-win situation for the airline or the two passengers in question.

-MJ
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:45 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Back on topic, the size of the passenger is not the issue at all. As several people have already pointed out, it is just common courtesy to not recline during meal service. Doing so makes it awkward for anyone to eat regardless of size.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by umguy
Call it what you want. But since you don't have a location listed I will tell you like I tell everyone in the very diverse area I live in. If you were born here and don't like it. You are always free to leave. If you aren't from here, then you can always go home, or just not come visit. But you will find people are rude everywhere.

At the end of the day someone elses weight issues shouldn't be everyone elses problem. Common courtesy is holding the door for someone, not going out of your way to make somone else enjoys their meal. Just my opinion once again.
For the record, and not that it matters, but I'm about as American as American gets. But I still disdain attitudes such as yours. Courtesy is not being a jackass because you don't care.

In terms of Y, eating is difficult enough. I'm nowhere near overweight, but I do have long arms. When someone is reclined in front of me and I'm trying to eat, my arms are nearly resting on my chest w/ my elbows into the seat back because the tray table is right in front of me.

But....I don't think you could have proven my point any better, thank you.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tazi
Back on topic, the size of the passenger is not the issue at all. As several people have already pointed out, it is just common courtesy to not recline during meal service. Doing so makes it awkward for anyone to eat regardless of size.
You'd think this whole topic should be this simple. Basic, common courtesy during the mealtime, and a reasonable request from the FA. Nothing more. Thanks for putting this in perspective, IMO.

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:52 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
This is a regular request from FA's in International Economy on many airlines. No problem with it here...
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
This is a regular request from FA's in International Economy on many airlines. No problem with it here...
Good point, I've had this requested of me on QF before.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.7M and counting slowly
I'd agree that it would be polite to accomodate the request so that the person in the seat behind me could have their meal.

However, (and please forgive my bluntness), but how much of a difference would that make in first class, as the trays are in the armrests and not on the back on the seat in front you? Unless I'm visualizing this incorrectly, it would appear to me that the person would have every bit as difficult a time eating with the forward seat reclined or upright.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by swag
While I understand the urge to Fight the Power, especially if the FA is discourteous, your recline is punishing the person behind you, not the FA.
True, but the person behind could politely ask me and I would do it. I will not do it if someone acts in an authoratative manner and tries to order me.

I can be courteous, but I don't respond courteously to rudeness

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:36 pm

Programs: HHGold; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; AA Platinum; NWA Gold
Reclined or not...coach or first...I think it looks sloppy eating while reclined. Do you?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SJUflyer
I'd agree that it would be polite to accomodate the request so that the person in the seat behind me could have their meal.

However, (and please forgive my bluntness), but how much of a difference would that make in first class, as the trays are in the armrests and not on the back on the seat in front you? Unless I'm visualizing this incorrectly, it would appear to me that the person would have every bit as difficult a time eating with the forward seat reclined or upright.

Just a thought.

Cheers
The trays slide back and forth. For many people, they will slide the tray back while eating. However, others who are not able to do so will leave it forward. With the seat in front of you reclined, it is impossible to push the tray table far enough forward to comfortably eat if you are of size.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Yeah, that's brilliant except you're not punishing AA, you're punishing the poor sap sitting behind you. You want more space, well then you should have paid the higher fares when MRTC was around.
What makes you assume that I didn't? I flew at least one round trip a month on AA between 1999 and 2002. Two years ago I booked a trip to India on AA/BA and made Platinum with the Platinum Challenge. That decision was based in large part on MRTC, in consideration of my dear long-legged husband. I've flown enough miles in 2004 and 2005 to keep Gold status, and have enough travel booked and planned on AA to re-qualify in 2006, but the seats are getting more cramped and the FAs crankier. If I get sent to India again, I'm going to carefully consider whether to take AA/BA or use those miles to get a head start on Elite status with another airline.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
For the record, and not that it matters, but I'm about as American as American gets. But I still disdain attitudes such as yours. Courtesy is not being a jackass because you don't care.

In terms of Y, eating is difficult enough. I'm nowhere near overweight, but I do have long arms. When someone is reclined in front of me and I'm trying to eat, my arms are nearly resting on my chest w/ my elbows into the seat back because the tray table is right in front of me.

But....I don't think you could have proven my point any better, thank you.

Wow since your so true blue I'm glad to see your a full fled native american. You know what? I've said all I've had to say in the nicest form I can do. So let me put it out there like for you. Stop execting handouts and being made into a vicitim on EVERY thread on here. This is 2 more times than I ever wanted to post on this. But just for my count how many of you actually live in MAJOR urban areas? Hmmmmm may explain alot.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I've said all I've had to say in the nicest form I can do.
If "if you don't like it, leave" is the nicest you can come up with, you've got real problems.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:51 pm

Wow since your so true blue I'm glad to see your a full fled native american. You know what? I've said all I've had to say in the nicest form I can do. So let me put it out there like for you. Stop execting handouts and being made into a vicitim on EVERY thread on here. This is 2 more times than I ever wanted to post on this. But just for my count how many of you actually live in MAJOR urban areas? Hmmmmm may explain alot.
I'm 6th or 7th generation American, what more do you want? It's a moot point anyway, I'd still be entitled to my opinion on the subject if I were an illegal alien.

I also live in STL, while not LA or NYC, it's sure as hell not bumfock out in the middle of nowhere. Which brings me back to my initial statement, why would where I live have anything to do with the matter anyway? Another moot point.

Really, I'm glad you travel alot, because we really do need more elitist, arrogant, pompous Americans like yourself representing our country.

I'm done with this thread. If you want to converse on this subject in a more adult manner, then PM me. And now back to our regularly scheduled pissing and moaning....
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Good grief. Just sit up and shut up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.