Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports that started as excellent, but evolved into something else

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2005, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Worst

Worst: BWI (used to be second best) -- permanent construction and rental cars in the next time zone
Next: OAK (used to be best) -- rental cars in the next area code; no airline clubs
Next: ABQ -- out of control security lines at peak times (hint: pretend to be handicapped if you want to make your flight on Friday morning)
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, CO, AF-KL, [EI]
Originally Posted by NickB
STN (London Stansted) was an extremely pleasant airport when theairy, Norman Foster-designed terminal first opened. Short queues, generous check-in deadlines.

Now, it has become an LCC-infested hell.
I've got to agree with you here. STN was the first airport I could think of as well.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:27 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
LAS was good, until the shoe carnviale began
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
My dad loved flying out of Burbank (BUR) in the 1970s, as it was way more convient to the San Fernando Valley, and easier to get to than LAX... But the NIMBY crowd have quashed any effort to update the terminal because it might increase traffic, so the place resembles a dingy old Greyhound station.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Not to beat the same drum, but I have to agree about OAK. The post-9/11 security changes killed the convenience of that airport.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
i'm certain the old DTW airport must have been pleasant at some point. some point wayyyyy back...probably in 1845...or at least it felt that old! at least someone had enough sense to tear most of it down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.