Wiki Posts
Search

Frank Lorenzo? Huh?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Frank Lorenzo? Huh?

So, one of the business shows (not sure which one) this morning is talking about DL and NW BK and who do they ask to explain the industry? Frank Lorenzo. Am I missing something here? Isn't this guy 86'd by DOT from any more participation other than putting his butt in a seat? "How would you go about bringing this airline to its knees, Mr. Lorenzo?"...
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dd992emo
So, one of the business shows (not sure which one) this morning is talking about DL and NW BK and who do they ask to explain the industry? Frank Lorenzo.
Lorenzo as an aviation expert?!? That is about in the same sense as having Osama Bin Laden explain how global peace works . God, I wonder which complete moron had the idea to choose Lorenzo. Is there any video/audio footage available?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Lorenzo is in the same class as Ichon. Jack-Asses who caused the loss of many peoples jobs. They, like B6 are taking the high quality and standards out of Air-travel.
SR
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

This thread is really more about Frank Lorenzo than it is about Delta Air Lines, which is why the new home of this thread will be the TravelBuzz! forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum

Speaking of Frank Lorenzo, I remember being on a Continental Airlines flight back in the early 1990s the day they announced that they had emerged from bankruptcy. Bottles of champagne were uncorked by the flight attendants and everyone was served a glass of “bubbly”...
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:33 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL USA BHM/ATL/IAH Delta PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum, Ambassador Gold
Programs: Flyin' Elvises/ Alabama Chapter
Canarsie is O-L-D!!!!

I will never forget Frank Lorenzo. As an ex-Eastern employee, he raided and ruined that company. I thought I was the only one old enough to remember.

Seems like I recall a past post where Dovster called Canarsie a fart. I think we should amend it to call him now a true, "Old Fart."
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by DAL767-400ER
Lorenzo as an aviation expert?!?
Whatever anybody's views on Frank Lorenzo may be, he still remains possibly one of the sharpest aviation minds ever to grace the industry.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:18 pm

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
Originally Posted by deltablues
I will never forget Frank Lorenzo.
Me neither. I stopped flying Continental for several years specifically because of him. What a horrible man.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Whatever anybody's views on Frank Lorenzo may be, he still remains possibly one of the sharpest aviation minds ever to grace the industry.
Oh yes, he started the corporate shell game that's brought US commercial aviation to it's knee and led them into airline executive musical chairs.

At least someone finally called him out of the game, too bad the other clowns still get to play.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by dd992emo
So, one of the business shows (not sure which one) this morning is talking about DL and NW BK and who do they ask to explain the industry? Frank Lorenzo. Am I missing something here? Isn't this guy 86'd by DOT from any more participation other than putting his butt in a seat? "How would you go about bringing this airline to its knees, Mr. Lorenzo?"...
As an avid Continental supporter, I have a love / hate for Frankie.

Frank never understood the human aspect of a business, he saw numbers and figures - and on paper what he was trying to do worked, but he never factored in the HUMAN factor.

Labor Relations, Unions, and such werenot his forte, and it failed him miserably. Frank's moves made sense on paper (no they really did!), but it always involved some sort of effect on the people working the job he was cutting or pay he was reducing, he never figured how this would adversely affect the overall out come.

-Vincent
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I don't think Frank ever understood that airline brands run largely on human factors (warmth, commitment, enthusiasm, service orientation). Which means he did not understand the core culture of the industry he was trying to dominate.

He may be sharp, but he was an evil force in American business and did hideous damage. Network TV talk-show bookers, who are mostly in their 20s and early 30s, may not have been old enough to pay attention back when Frank did his damage. To them he's just another old CEO.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:08 am

Programs: BA
I believe that Frank Lorenzo is one of the principal investors and backers of Texas Pacific Corp, owner of the Gate Gourmet airline catering company. Also there is Dave Siegel, past CEO of USAirways. Their management style is common.

During the recent Gate Gourmet strike at London Heathrow Siegel made an unbelievable attack on television against British Airways, his No 1 customer there, who he criticised as the cause of every possible problem in the qite independent company. So the loudmouths still have an impact on the industry.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:43 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by WHBM
I believe that Frank Lorenzo is one of the principal investors and backers of Texas Pacific Corp, owner of the Gate Gourmet airline catering company. Also there is Dave Siegel, past CEO of USAirways. Their management style is common.

During the recent Gate Gourmet strike at London Heathrow Siegel made an unbelievable attack on television against British Airways, his No 1 customer there, who he criticised as the cause of every possible problem in the qite independent company. So the loudmouths still have an impact on the industry.
Lorenzo was Texas International. David Bonderman runs Texas Pacific Group.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:53 pm

Oh c'mon! Continental and Eastern were both in the toilet long before Lorenzo got there. I am old enough to remember him, and I remember him well. Let's just own up to high cost unionized employees and crappy service by these companies. That's what ruined these airlines, not Lorenzo. And this is what is continuing to ruin them. Lorenzo was actually okay, let's not re-write history on this thread for the sake of populist revisonism.

You don't see Southwest Airlines whining and snivelling like Northwest and Delta, eh?

Oh, and when are they going to announce the bonus plans for the NWA and DL CEO's for "saving" these companies by filing their respective bankruptcies?

M8
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
It's not everyday that a judge completely bans someone from an industry for life.
I thought he was barred by legislation? Some law about having led an airline into bankruptcy twice which applied to him and no one else.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
You don't see Southwest Airlines whining and snivelling like Northwest and Delta, eh?
85% of Southwests employees are unionized and their pilots and mechanics are among the highest paid in the industry, but don't let that stop the union bashing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.