Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:35 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Originally Posted by spotwelder
I do some complex fare searches but often trip over the mileage maximum. So I need to be able to work out the 5 to 25 % extra mileage buy for the tickets as well.
Poof! There's a format for that.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:47 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Originally Posted by RChavez
If you knowingly book what is obviously a fare mistake, the airlines can (and often will) come back with a debit memo to the agency who ticketed the booking.
Yes and no. Some GDS's guarantee their auto-pricing. But forced, manual pricing is not.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by tvl4free
Absolutety NOT! Didn't you read my post? You build your itineraries that way that YOU want them. Do you have any idea how many extra miles one can add in over the years that way? It's clear that you also have no clue how much one can save w access to consolidator fares.

And Kanebear...90/10? LOL! hehehe. Just between you and me, that larger number should be in your favor...???
Sorry, thought I stated that. It *is* 90% you, 10% them.

Y'all, keep in mind that Nexion is designed FOR TRAVEL AGENTS. It's a host agency. They're not set up to nurse-maid a bunch of nutty mileage runners. They expect you to have a basic level of knowledge and/or figure it out for yourself. You are NOT their customer... even though you may subscribe to them. It's a business to business environment and they are set up to support folks actually running travel agencies or corporate travel departments.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:53 am

I was just double checking, because that is actually quite generous.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
It's clear that you also have no clue how much one can save w access to consolidator fares.
^ This is one very useful feature of being under a host agency. As long as you are able to quote their ARC number, the access to consolidator tickets for int'l travel is another very attractive benefit.

I strongly suggest a subscription to JaxFax ($20/yr I think) for listings of consolidators for all over the world.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Yes and no. Some GDS's guarantee their auto-pricing. But forced, manual pricing is not.
Yeah, I agree that autopriced tickets should be able to stand on their own. However, the area gets very grey when a travel agent is the one pricing and issuing on their own a ticket where the fare is a tiny fraction of the competing lowest available fare.

Travel agents traditionally are viewed by the airlines as being held to a higher standard than typical customers, especially with regard to bookings/tickets they have personally issued. I would not be surprised if an airline responded with a "You should know better" response to ticketing a misfiled fare, and even then if the fare was obviously a mistake (e.g. a $0 or $10 base fare when the base fare is typically $800-1000).

Not to say that it's right, or even that the agent will necessarily lose the argument. Just be aware that there is always the risk, and as an agent, you don't have the "naive customer" card to play.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Travel agents traditionally are viewed by the airlines as being held to a higher standard than typical customers, especially with regard to bookings/tickets they have personally issued.
Well, they are the airline's agents after all, and (at least in common law legal systems) agents owe fiduciary duties to their principals, not just legal duties in the strict sense. So you can see why airlines might well take this view.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:19 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Well, they are the airline's agents after all, and (at least in common law legal systems) agents owe fiduciary duties to their principals, not just legal duties in the strict sense. So you can see why airlines might well take this view.
Oh, of course. And I pretty much agree with any airline's argument that the agent should know better in these situations.

But there is a conflict between the GDS's promise that as long as a ticket is auto priced, there is little or no risk of being hit with a debit memo, and the airline's expectation that the agent should be able to recognize and refuse to ticket a misfiled fare.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: VS Gold
Oh, of course. And I pretty much agree with any airline's argument that the agent should know better in these situations.

But there is a conflict between the GDS's promise that as long as a ticket is auto priced, there is little or no risk of being hit with a debit memo, and the airline's expectation that the agent should be able to recognize and refuse to ticket a misfiled fare.
I'm based in the UK and looking at doing something similar. So far I've not found any hosting agents in the UK.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:28 am

Any way of avoiding their $199 activation fee?

Originally Posted by kanebear
Well that was fast. I'm already up and running and ready to ticket. Now I just have to learn HOW. I went through a host agent called Nexion. It's $50 a month for GDS access and support. They give you Worldspan, Amadeus, Apollo and Sabre acces. You also get consolidator access, Agent59 (commissionable Site59 sales) and cruise booking ability. As I'm AA loyal I plan to set about learning Sabre as quickly as possible. The commission split is 90/10. I'm not in it for that but hey, a little extra never hurt.

They have a proprietary software package called InternetView that's quite helpful for noobs like me. LOTS of online reference materials, macros, keyboard conversions (Try finding a Cross of Loraine on the standard 101 key keyboard... AIN'T happ'nin) and even a syntax convertor that will translate for you if you need another GDS and don't speak the language. So if you speak Worldspan and need Sabre, it'll convert for you (I believe).

I gotta say this, TVL4FREE is ABSOFREAKINLUTELY right. Once you learn the commands it's SO MUCH FASTER to do just about anything. F'rinstance, it took me about 90 seconds to check C class availability on AA for four different city pairs. Expertflyer rocks but it's nowhere NEAR that fast. Basically once you get it down you'll never ever ever want to touch a website again. I can see how whipping up even a quite complex itinerary on this thing is beyond fast. You can even create macros for the things you do often if you don't want to remember the commands.

Another massive advantage... EASY access to complete fare rules... you can even look at your own PNR to doublecheck for mistakes (although you can't see the comments... I already tried.)

Yet another... the ability to display and select flights by alliance. Wanna fly JFK-NRT and only want *A options? No problem. Want Skyteam? Done. OneWorld, that too.

Online GDS courses are available and I plan to take one. They ain't cheap but I want to be able to know it all and do it all. Make no mistake, this isn't for the faint of heart... if you're the type of computer user who drops to a command prompt at the first opportunity, if you like *NIX, and if you learn quickly, this is right up your alley.

It's all about having the fine control to do *exactly* what you want with your travel. Most people don't care, just as thousands of folks out there are happily (if unproductively) still running Windows ME.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Ever heard the term penny wise, pound foolish? Ok, so I can't say that yet... but once I have concrete evidence of what I suspect (A. being able to find better fares, B. being able to build better itineraries for the same money E.G. more miles/$ and/or C. having access to fares I wouldn't otherwise), THEN I'll say that and give examples.
then you'll have a believer and a convert.

but until then....
So... now is the "then and now?"
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
So... now is the "then and now?"
Short answer? If Nexion were $100 a month I'd still do it.

Long answer, between myself, family and coworkers I've probably saved close to $10k in fares compared to using other self-booking methods. ITA can help find fares, but getting them to price is sometimes impossible. Absolutely *not* the case with Sabre.

The biggest benefit thus far hasn't been the savings, but the ability to fine-tune itineraries to a degree absolutely otherwise unknown. I no longer 'play around' to figure out what's breaking a given fare.

No other way I know of to buy an AA fare, have it 'plated' on CX 160 ticket stock, include a leg on SQ just for the hell of it, as well as long-hauls on CX and AA all in F at a price less than discount J one way to HKG, AND have all of it issued on paper tickets without a massive surcharge.

Another great thing; Nexion is changing the way we access the GDS and their old InternetView application is going away. I now have direct MySabre access and a unique pseudo-citycode. By the end of the year I'll be set up individually in Apollo, Worldspan and Amadeus as well. I'm most fluent with Sabre but each GDS has certain areas in which they excel (I.E. Amadeus can autoprice RTWs!).

Last edited by kanebear; Aug 20, 2007 at 10:36 pm
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
No other way I know of to buy an AA fare, have it 'plated' on CX 160 ticket stock, include a leg on SQ just for the hell of it, as well as long-hauls on CX and AA all in F at a price less than discount J one way to HKG, AND have all of it issued on paper tickets without a massive surcharge.
And you get commissions on the CX ticket as well? This is starting to look incredibly attractive...

Edit: I want mail too

Last edited by lavalyn; Aug 22, 2007 at 7:00 am
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:44 pm
cja

Programs: UA Prem Exec, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by djev
You and UABigBird have mail!
Please send me the info as well. Thx
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:00 pm

I'm most fluent with Sabre but each GDS has certain areas in which they excel (I.E. Amadeus can autoprice RTWs!).
My agent switched to Amadeus last year and says it's the best when it comes to international itineraries, which is the major part of her agency's business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.