Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is It Too Risky To Purchase Individual Tickets For Multi-City Trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

I am going Tampa (change planes in Los Angeles)- Maui. Maui (via LA again)-Las Vegas-Tampa in January 2006.

I get the best flight times and prices by buying individual tickets for each leg. By buying indiviually the cost is $859. If I string the very same flight numbers together with Orbitz the total is $2,247.

What are my risks in buying the indvidual tickets other than missed connections and baggage problems?

I understand the Iterline baggage agreement and don't anticipate problems there.

What happens for instance if Delta gets me to Los Angeles too late to make the Maui ATA flight? Is Delta liable for anything under these circumstances?

What other problems should I consider with the indivual tickets, is it a bad idea?

Thank You!

Last edited by itsme2; Sep 7, 2005 at 2:15 pm
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, USAirways, AA, CO,DL,WN,Midwest
Just to make sure I understand. You are buying roundtrip tickets on each airline? TPA-LAX-TPA and LAX-MAUI-LAx-LAS- TPA on DL and ATA? If the are two separate round trips there should not be a ticekting problem. If there is a delay along the route and you do misconnect, I do no tbelieve that the airline is repsonsible since it was separate resverations. If they were booked on one record, then they would have more responsibility. It is a risk you take, but it seems like a big savings. With the savings can you perhaps leave a night between the flights so you would have a better chance of making the eonnections?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

TB,

All the flights I have picked are one way.

TPA-LAX-OGG (2 tickets). Then OGG-LAX-LAS (Las Vegas, 2 tickets). LAS-TPA (1 ticket).

Last edited by itsme2; Sep 7, 2005 at 2:32 pm
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC, US
It would be interesting to see why you can't put all flights on the same ticket and have it price out....maybe a min stay requirement is being violated? A couple suggestions:

a) Try to put all 5 flights on the same ticket with a different booking engine
b) Try breaking the trip into two tickets...one ticket TPA-LAX-OGG, the other ticket OGG-LAX-LAS-TPA

- notam
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:16 am

Programs: UA
Worst case can be if the first flight is delayed and you miss your connecting flight that you are out of a valid ticket and would need to buy a (high) priced ticket. But how high are the chances for it ? And the connecting airline might still put you on the next flight. For this price difference I would take my chances.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 8:28 am

Programs: US 3
It is a risk you take, but it seems like a big savings.
With this kind of savings, seems like you could afford a decent hotel if you miss your connection. My guess is that the connecting airline would put you on the next available flight-I've been late to the airport before due to a problem with the bus and this is what they did for me.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Uh... Delta, American and Northwest all have fares around $650 round trip all in in January. Why would you pay $859 to fly a Delta/ATA combo with chances of misconnecting?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

NHFL,

Uh Please, show me how I can do TPA-LAX-OGG (on 1/5/06), OGG-LAX-LAS (on 1/15/06) & LAS-TPA (on 1/19/06) for $650? In addition the individual tickets give me the best ideal times for travel and fewest stops. I stand by the $ quotes I originally gave here.

I would really be greatful for your details.

Thank you.

Last edited by itsme2; Sep 8, 2005 at 5:47 pm
Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by itsme2
NHFL,

Uh Please, show me how I can do TPA-LAX-OGG (on 1/5/06), OGG-LAX-LAS (on 1/15/06) & LAS-TPA (on 1/19/06) for $650? In addition the individual tickets give me the best ideal times for travel and fewest stops. I stand by the $ quotes I originally gave here.

I would really be greatful for your details.

Thank you.
You've already gotten some pretty good advice here, but have you tried ITASoftware.com's search engine? Putting in your itinerary & dates (TPA-OGG on 1/5, OGG-LAS on 1/15, and LAS-TPA on 1/19), there are several options in the $850 range on AA, NW, DL, and UA that don't require interlining at all. Assuming that you can book ITA's itineraries (on either Orbitz or on each respective airline's own Web site), that would be a worry-free option for you to consider.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC, US
Just for fun, I tried pricing out the following itinerary:

Thurs, Jan 5
TPA - DL372 - SLC - DL4745 - PHX - ATA4585 - OGG

Sun, Jan 15
OGG - ATA4762 - LAX - UA1492 - LAS

Thurs, Jan 19
LAS - Frontier Airlines 778 - DEN - Frontier Airlines 357 - TPA

Total price: $846.18 + $10 booking fee = $856.18

If you want to avoid Frontier Airlines, I also priced out the following for Jan 19th:

LAS - DL707 - ATL - DL480 - TPA

Total price: $882.38 + $10 booking fee = $892.38

My advice is do NOT book seperate tickets. Either:

a) Book 3 one-way tickets (TPA-OGG, OGG-LAS, LAS-TPA)

or, preferably

b) Book everything on one ticket. Keep looking until you find a booking engine that allows it....I'll suggest Carlson Wagonlit travel's website, as I used their ITN tool to price it out....if all else fails, take $20 to your local travel agent with the flight numbers/dates, and have them get you a ticket (you'll probably need a paper ticket for this itinerary anyways....).

- notam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.