How do I call a 0870 number in the UK from the US

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

How do I call a 0870 number in the UK from the US

any clue?
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Same as dialling any other UK number from US, just drop the first 0 and add the international dialling code at the front.

Spike
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:29 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
To clarify, from the USA, that's 011-44-870-etc.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:22 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
It'll cost you. These are essentially premium rate numbers, as the person receiving the call is actually paid by the telecom networks to do so.

Many businesses supply a non-0870 number for international callers, so I would ask for that or try to use the database at http://www.saynoto0870.com/
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:44 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by grouse
It'll cost you. These are essentially premium rate numbers, as the person receiving the call is actually paid by the telecom networks to do so.[/url]
While there's a surcharge when dialing from within the UK, I don't think there's a premium from the States.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:07 am

While there's a surcharge when dialing from within the UK, I don't think there's a premium from the States.
I guess you know something that all those businesses who provide geographic numbers for their international customers don't. For the OP, check with your long distance carrier on the cost before making the call, if you need to.

Anyway, if that's the case I'm going to start routing all my 0870 calls through the U.S. as I can call the U.S. for free, and can call the UK from the U.S. for a very low cost.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by HeHateY
To clarify, from the USA, that's 011-44-870-etc.
Not correct. You don't need the 011 prefix. It's +44 xyz xyz xxyz.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Not correct. You don't need the 011 prefix. It's +44 xyz xyz xxyz.
From a GSM cell phone, you can use +44. However, from a landline in the US calling overseas where the call requires a country code, 011 is generally necessary as a prefix to the country code. There is no + sign on most landlines.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
From a GSM cell phone, you can use +44. However, from a landline in the US calling overseas where the call requires a country code, 011 is generally necessary as a prefix to the country code. There is no + sign on most landlines.
Really? I've been telling my in-laws to dial 044 xxx to call the UK. Would someone like to call the international operator to get the definitive answer
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Really? I've been telling my in-laws to dial 044 xxx to call the UK. Would someone like to call the international operator to get the definitive answer
I just tried calling from my US landline-equivalent and 044 did not work. If your in-laws find this thread, you might need to spend a few of those miles and points taking (or should I say "sending"???) them somewhere nice.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:58 am

The country code for the UK is 44. In front of 44 you need to dial the international access code applicable to where you are. In most European countries it's 00. In the USA and Canada it 011. GSM cellphones (which are clever!) will automatically select the appropriate international access code if you dial +.

So:

0870 translates into

0044 870 from Europe
01144 870 from the USA and Canada
+44 870 from GSM cellphones worldwide
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewClement
At least from Germany there is - I have to pay the same surcharge I pay for calling mobile phones in the UK when dialling something starting with an 0870 area-code. Also most of the Call-by-Call provider do not allow calls to that prefix at all - only T-Com and Arcor do.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
In most European countries it's 00. In the USA and Canada it 011. GSM cellphones (which are clever!) will automatically select the appropriate international access code if you dial +.
Uh, I think that the GSM system just accepts international numbers with +. Your mobile phone does not know whether to use 00 or 011, nor does it need to.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:32 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The country code for the UK is 44. In front of 44 you need to dial the international access code applicable to where you are. In most European countries it's 00. In the USA and Canada it 011. GSM cellphones (which are clever!) will automatically select the appropriate international access code if you dial +.

So:

0870 translates into

0044 870 from Europe
01144 870 from the USA and Canada
+44 870 from GSM cellphones worldwide
Just to clarify it a bit more fromthe US:

"01" is the international access code
"1" says that you want it billed to the land phone, credit card, phone card etc..

so 011 is what you dial for a "direct dialed international call".
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:32 am
Suspended

When I call the UK from my VoIP I dial

44 - 870 - XXX - XXXX

No 011 or 0 before the 870. Only 2 cents a minute as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.