Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Airline Has Best Coach Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:33 am
Original Poster

What Airline Has Best Coach Seats?

I liked the "More Room Throughout Coach" that American had but that has been scaled back. What airline has the most comfortable coach seats, most room etc?
Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:36 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spike74
I liked the "More Room Throughout Coach" that American had but that has been scaled back. What airline has the most comfortable coach seats, most room etc?
no doubt, YX Signature Service seats are the best..
Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Among the majors, United's "Economy Plus" has the most room. It's usually only availalble to UA/*A elites and full-fare passengers.

Air New Zealand's new "Pacific Economy" has a 34" pitch, which seems pretty nice.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dg4255
no doubt, YX Signature Service seats are the best..
Also, Jet Blue seats from the exit row to the back of the plane have a pitch similar to that of MRTC.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MH have 34" pitch as standard.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:06 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
As already mentioned, UA's E+, but also certain bulkhead seats (for the legroom) on UA. I imagine WN exit rows would be theoretically easier to snag for a nonfrequent flier though. As already mentioned, E+ require status or expensive fares (or the infrequent E+ paid upgrade offer during check-in). Premier Ex or higher status is needed on UA to prereserve exit row seats. For WN, one just has to check in online right at midnight and then be first in line (as I understand it, as I've never flown WN).

E+ is a huge reason that I flew UA, btw, and a huge reason why I'll make sure I at least maintain my 2P status for next year.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
YX has the width, but not the best seat pitch. Fortunately, I can almost always get exit row when I fly them, which is wonderful. No one can book exit row online, and since most people are already happy with their seat assignment on YX , few people ask for a switch at the airport. I flew two YX segments last weekend: on one, I was the only person occupying any of the eight exit row seats. On the other, there were three of us sitting exit row.

The best part about YX is that, for the most part, their small planes and 2x2 seating mean a passenger load that their staff can handle. That means you can usually check a bag without waiting in line, and the bags get to the carousel within minutes. Add in mostly uncrowded boarding areas and you get a pretty low-stress flying experience.

But back to seats...

WN is better than you'd expect. Of course these days you have to print your own boarding pass to have a chance at an A, but that's fine: give 'em credit for saving a few bucks on paper. I usually can't get exit row because from MCI there are almost always a few through pax that have reshuffled into those seats. If the flight is not 100% sold out, I usually go straight to the back and grab a window, and then the middle seat remains empty.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: DL nothing now, HH Gold
Avianca also has standard 34" seats in economy, with very, very good reclining (for economy). No IFE. Good food service, with plenty of alcoholic beverages. Was gladly surprised on a recent MAD-BOG segment, where I was expecting a worst experience than other airlines flying the same route. I was wrong.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
SQ and TG, with their ultra-longhaul flights I believe have 37" pitch on their economy seats. Something about giving pax a few more inches is cheaper than the thousands of cases of DVT lawsuits that they might otherwise face.

Plus, their IFE and food ain't too shabby either.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
DH has rather comfortable seats, especially for a CRJ.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:58 am

I would die if I were in one of those SQ coach seats that go on the EWR/LAX-SIN legs. ^
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Jetblue has 34" from rows 12-26 and a nice leather seat (18" wide as well) with Direct TV. Best coach seat/product I've had.

UA E+ is nice. Legroom about the same as Jetblue but no Direct TV.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:17 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
International Y on Air Canada is pretty comfortable. 33-34" of pitch and the seats in the A330/340's are pretty comfortable.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Midwest and Jetblue
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:28 pm

Midwest & Jet Blue certainly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.