What to do in IAD for six hour layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List

I will have a six hour layover in Dulles, Washington in the next few days. What would you suggest I do to make the time go faster? Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:35 am
Suspended

The air and space museum is a good idea, The Worldgate Shopping Center in Herndon is 4 miles away by cab and has a Movie Theatre. There is also downtown Reston, Va-- with shopping, food, movies and a library 6 miles away.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
No public transportation to the new Air & Space from IAD. You'll have to take a taxi. Its a lot of fun to see the airplanes land from the mock control tower. Hopefully, if you visit, it'll be a busy landing time.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
If you want to shop try the Tysons Corners Malls. With six hours it is possible to go downtown for a few hour and see the sights or have lunch.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
To be more specific, I will have time around 6:30 am until roughly 11:30 a.m. I doubt that I could do much at the National Air & Space Museum.

I guess the other suggestion is the shopping. However, I can't say that I am a big shopper though.

Thanks folks for the nice suggestions. Of course, other wonderful ideas and suggestions would still be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Ways to kill time ... Head over to Terminal B and get a massage and walk around that terminal (much more wide open and newer than C/D) ... ride the PeopleMover back and forth and view the activity going on on the tarmac.

Do not exit security unless you plan to leave the airport, the hassle of security at IAD just isn't worth it, and for the hours you are laying over, not much will be open and morning rush hour will be going on (something to be avoided at all costs).

Oh yeh, and the last suggestion - post the times you'll be at IAD in the Community forum and see if other FT'ers will be passing through and can get you into a lounge or meet up G'luck with the trip.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL
I vote you try to take as many rides on the "moon buggies" as you can.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:57 pm

starbucks?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:01 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Man, those moon buggies are something else. C/D Terminal is dank and dark. B Terminal suggestion is a good one - stay there as long as possible.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Originally Posted by hoangb
To be more specific, I will have time around 6:30 am until roughly 11:30 a.m. I doubt that I could do much at the National Air & Space Museum.

I guess the other suggestion is the shopping. However, I can't say that I am a big shopper though.

Thanks folks for the nice suggestions. Of course, other wonderful ideas and suggestions would still be greatly appreciated.
You might be able to get a room at the Dulles Airport Marriott for a few hours if you want to sleep. The hotel is right on airport and a 2 minute bus ride or 8-10 minute walk from the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.