Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever have a maid throw good stuff away??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver

I have been staying at the same ES 3 weeks, 4 days each week (one golf club is mine, the other 2 will be mine in the next 4 weeks). Every Monday when I check in I bring a weeks worth of newspapers from my hometown. Usually I leave them on the dining table and once I have read them, I lay them on the floor next to the trashcan. I save the crossword puzzle pages from the papers and also leave them on the table.

Last Wednesday, all papers from the table were gone. I have to assume the maid threw them away, although the front desk was not able to find out because by the time I got back to the hotel, housekeeping was gone and that maid had the next day off. Kudos to the front desk people though, other then not being able to find out what happened they were great and offered to repay me the monetary value (not much) and offered me dinner in the hotel restaurant.

I have never had this happen before. I always thought maids were not to throw away anything that was not specifically in the trash. Especially things sitting on a tabletop far away from any trashcans. Has anyone else had this happen to them before??
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
Never, not even in a Mom & Pop where there are no rules.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Nope, I have never encountered that problem.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I had some leftover pasta salad placed in an ice bucket in my room at the Hampton Inn in Hays, Kansas some years ago. Before I left the room that morning, I surrounded the pasta salad (which was sealed in a plastic container and was placed in a transparent plastic bag) with fresh cold ice and placed the cover on the ice bucket.

I was hungry that afternoon and looked forward to eating that pasta salad. When I returned to my room later that afternoon, the inside of the ice bucket was dry and empty. I was irritated that whomever from housekeeping serviced my room made an executive decision to dispose of (or possibly eat?!?) my pasta salad.

Because Hays, Kansas is not exactly the global center of gourmet cuisine, I had to resort to patronizing a fast-food restaurant in an attempt to satisfy my hunger as best as possible...
Old Jun 5, 2005, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I'm sure it happens all the time. They also probably get complaints from people who think that they aren't cleaning up trash. I'd say it's a tough call for the housekeepers in knowing what is trash and what isn't.

I typically will put newspapers, etc. in a dresser drawer if I want to save them.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 4:32 pm
Suspended

ditto, anything that I want I put into a drawer, closet etc any where but in eyesight so that the question wont come up if its garbage or not.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
During a stay at the ES in lower Manhattan a few months after it first opened, the maid actually opened the drawers and threw out all of the papers that I had so carefully placed there.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:52 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Pardon a reply from a Marriott guy :-) Anyway, I have had variable experiences with newspapers and other things that were left on the coffee table or nightstand being thrown out. I also generally follow the rule of thumb that if I want to be sure it is still there when I return to the room, put it in a drawer or other out of sight location. I think the main variable is the housekeeper who happens to service the room that day. Regardless of hotel chain, I do notice subtle differences in how my room is serviced each day. Nothing major, just minor stylistic differences. Throwing out newspapers is one of those stylistic differences. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:25 pm

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
Originally Posted by FLOIR
(one golf club is mine, the other 2 will be mine in the next 4 weeks).
OK, I'm an idiot. What does this mean?
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
While this didn't happen to me, I read this about a top poker player, Daniel Negreanu, in today's newspaper:

http://www.highwaygirl.com/archive/c...rtainment.html

The $1.1 million Negreanu won in Atlantic City was converted into $300,000 in cash and an $800,000 check. Back home in Las Vegas, he discovered that he left the check in his hotel room; the maid threw it out, and Negreanu had to fly back for another check.

Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:41 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I've had the opposite experience - I kept trying to throw something away and the maid kept fishing it out of the can and leaving it for me on the bed. It was a belt from a goodie bag I got from a designer event and I didn't want it. Finally, I saw her one day and told her she could have the belt if she liked. She took it.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:41 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by thagale
OK, I'm an idiot. What does this mean?
I don't know about the first statement but this answers your question.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
I've never had anything of value thrown away by the maid. However, in some hotels, the maid will discard half-empty bottles of shampoo or conditioner, and in a few cases, bars of soap that have been used but still are usable. Although they replace the items with new shampoo/conditioner/soap, I've always felt that it was quite wasteful to toss an item that could still be used. I've begun leaving the open but still usable toiletries in my toiletry bag to prevent the maid from discarding them.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
I never liked when they got rid of my soap / shampoo either. I carry a travelers soap container with me and keep the soap in there. So far no maid has thrown it or its contents out. Although they have unwrapped a bar of soap and placed it in the shower soap dish, which I don't understand.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
at the reno hilton last year, a maid "threw away" a nice seiko watch that i accidently left in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.