Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Math Skills

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Math Skills

My math skills are quite poor. I called a hotel chain 800# and asked how large their deluxe room was at their Madrid hotel, I was told the room was 40 square meters. When I asked what 40 sq meters was in sq ft the agent put me on hold for 5 minutes and then told me she didn't know. I called back and the next agent told me 40 sq meters was 1,300 sq ft, couldn't be right. I called again and the agent told me 129 sq ft. I called the hotel directly and they told me they didn't know.

Should reservations agents have math skills? By the way, how much is 40 sq meters in feet?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
About 435 or a bit larger than 20 x 20 feet.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:30 pm

just type "40 square meters in square feet" into google, and the handy calculator will tell you 40 square meters is 430 square feet:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Outside US many countries have been on metric system for decades and so most folk wont know how many square feet per square metre. I dont consider this a maths problem.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:34 pm

Yes i agree, if in doubt, google.com
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:41 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
And if you're in doubt and don't have a computer handy, I use this as a conservative reference: 1 square meter = 10 sq ft.

As an engineer(ing student), I like math, but I'm also really lazy, and this approx. usually works really well. So just add the zero

OT - Some res agents need to know the difference between meter and square meter, based on the OP. (j/k - most people I know couldn't tell you which was which)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.