Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on Rick Steves travel store?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 4:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Question Comments on Rick Steves travel store?

I'm thinking about buying a few items from the Rick Steves travel store (money belt, locks etc). Anyone have negative experiences with them or suggestions for better online stores?
Old May 22, 2005, 5:00 pm

I have only good things to report about Rick Steves' store. My parents bought rail passes from Rick some time ago, with no problems. I was about to buy a money belt, but was concerned about shipping time. The customer service staff sent a very kind reply to my e-mail, even though I was not yet a customer. They offered to pack my order immediately and get it out the door the same day. In the end, though, the UPS delivery estimate was too long, and the item would have arrived after my departure. Overnight shipping by UPS would have exceeded the price of the item by a factor of three.

Side note: Some newer money belts are thick and heavy, which can make them unpleasant to wear. In a local store I saw a belt from PacSafe that was made of thick, plastic-like fabric; had many pockets, some of which were too small to be useful; and had a cut-proof metal strap. If someone is reaching under your clothing with a knife, protecting your money belt becomes the least of your worries.

Rick's belt is still reasonable in terms of thickness and weight. However, I ended up with the smallest, lightest, simplest, and most comfortable money belt I've ever worn: the Women's Waist Stash by Lewis N. Clark. It has just one, large pocket, which makes it very thin. The "soft lingerie fabric" really is "lightweight and comfortable against skin". I don't mind that the product is marketed for women: it doesn't look different, and no one will see my money belt anyway. You can get one for $12 from REI, a reputable company with an online store and a network of local stores.

Whatever the package says, no money belt is sweat-proof. Unless your money belt is endorsed by NASA or something, use a Zip-Loc bag to avoid soggy money.

For locks, think deterrence. If you are checking luggage, a TSA-approved lock might be worthwhile. If not, use the metal rings that new keys are distributed on (the thin, disposable ones, not the thick ones that serve as permanent key rings). These cost nothing, are easy to open when you want, and deter casual thieves just as well a lock. A serious thief would cut your suitcase open, pry it apart, or just take the whole thing, anyway.

If my candor ends up costing Rick a sale, then please order a travel guide or video from him instead. There's no substitute for those!

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California, USA

Last edited by marcelin; May 22, 2005 at 5:11 pm
Old May 22, 2005, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by marcelin
If my candor ends up costing Rick a sale, then please order a travel guide or video from him instead. There's no substitute for those!
If you get the "Germany, Swiss Alps, and Travel Skills" DVD look for me in part three of the three part travel skills series of episodes- I'm in the hostel in Gimmelwald, Switzerland, and am on the screen for about a second. I happened to be there when they were shooting for that show in the summer of 2000.

After meeting Rick Steves in person, I can say he's really...tall.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by RJSachs
I'm thinking about buying a few items from the Rick Steves travel store (money belt, locks etc). Anyone have negative experiences with them or suggestions for better online stores?
Are you specifically fishing for negative comments?

Just order the d**ned things, already!

Of course, there are lots of online travel stores that sell generic things like money belts, locks, etc. (Magellan's comes to mind, for example.) I don't know that one store is necessarily better than another for stuff like that.

Rick Steves' strengths lie more in his travel books, videos, custom-designed items, and tours. OK, OK, OK, and money belts, too; I think his are custom-designed (and reasonably priced). Just go for it. @:-)

P.S.: He also has a very helpful "Guide to European Railpasses" section on his website to help you decide whether a pass will work for you (and if so, which one), and sells railpasses as well.

But, if all you wanna buy is locks and money belts, well, so be it.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; May 23, 2005 at 12:18 am
Old May 23, 2005, 2:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Nothing but positive experiences dealing w/Rick Steves.

I have done the following transactions with Rick Steves:

1. Went to his Seattle area (Edmonds, WA) office & bought a 45 min consulation for Italy trip in 1997. Advice was excellent & really added to my experience. Bought first backpack while I was there.

2. Went to his store a couple years ago. (I was doing the UA great offer flying 8 segments SAN-SEA). Bought backpack #2, day bag & a variety of other stuff.

3. 2 yrs ago, I ordered a Swiss Transfer Pass about a week ahead of time. Rick Steves overnighted the pass to me & included a couple of small freebies.

4. Met the Rick Steves crew at the Los Angeles travel show earlier this year. They gave me a free 2005 Italy book after I mentioned that a bookstore at the show didn't have it in stock.

Bottom line: I had NO negative experiences & everyone I know also had NO negative experiences. Nothing but positive! ^ I would have no hesitation in recommending his books, goods & services. Rick Steves has been in business for many years. (since the 70's).
Old May 23, 2005, 3:19 am

I like Rick Steve's travel books. That said, he needs to update his restaurant information in his books. Some of the restaurants are nonexistent!
Old May 23, 2005, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by travelnutz
I like Rick Steve's travel books. That said, he needs to update his restaurant information in his books. Some of the restaurants are nonexistent!
He updates them every year, unlike some guidebook companies.

Restaurants go in and out of business all the time. ALL guidebooks will contain some out-of-date information. That's the nature of print media. @:-)
Old May 24, 2005, 11:16 am

Can you order his trademarked khaki pants from his website?
Old May 24, 2005, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
everything I have every received from them has been top notch....
Old May 24, 2005, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
He updates them every year, unlike some guidebook companies.

Restaurants go in and out of business all the time. ALL guidebooks will contain some out-of-date information. That's the nature of print media. @:-)
I was using a 2004 print in early 2004. I guess European restaurants go out of business overnight especially the ones that he recommends.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
While I don't have first-hand experience, others I know swear by the luggage he has designed and sells on his website.
Old May 24, 2005, 1:32 pm

I've bought items from his site, been on two tours (Turkey and Italy) and have met the man in person on a couple of occasions and I'll pile on the endorsement of his business . He's certainly on the up and up and will go beyond the call of duty on many occasion to make sure the customer is satisfied.

Though he and I differ in approach to travel (I'm more likely to sport my Prada in Florence than my zip off khakis), I highly respect him and the lengths he'll go to bring Americans to the "off the beaten path" parts of Europe (as well as the well trodden ones).

His railpass information is fantastic too.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelnutz
I was using a 2004 print in early 2004. I guess European restaurants go out of business overnight especially the ones that he recommends.
"Overnight?"

The 2004 edition would have been updated based on research done in the summer of 2003. (Or was that somehow not obvious to you? You thought that the research was done just a few days before you purchased the book???)

Every other travel guidebook series I have used is less frequently updated than Rick Steves' series. Lonely Planet, for example, typically does updates only every few years.

But, you can often get more recent updates on the websites (Rick Steves, Lonely Planet, and others). However, if you insist on absolutely up-to-the-minute information for your typical printed guidebook price tag of $15-$25, I'm afraid there's no one on earth that will satisfy you.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
"Overnight?"

The 2004 edition would have been updated based on research done in the summer of 2003. (Or was that somehow not obvious to you? You thought that the research was done just a few days before you purchased the book???)

Every other travel guidebook series I have used is less frequently updated than Rick Steves' series. Lonely Planet, for example, typically does updates only every few years.

But, you can often get more recent updates on the websites (Rick Steves, Lonely Planet, and others). However, if you insist on absolutely up-to-the-minute information for your typical printed guidebook price tag of $15-$25, I'm afraid there's no one on earth that will satisfy you.
Obvious to me? Was it obvious to you that I wasn't expecting the book to be literally publish the day before I bought it. How do you know it was updated in the summer of 2003? Did you ask Rick Steves that? Please let me know if you did. If not don't be spewing out stuff you know nothing about. From my impression, the book was updated a while back not a summer ago. I would expect a restaurant that is recommended in his guides to not go out of business that soon. Yes I know Blah Blah Blah restaurants go out of business all the time. What's your point besides trolling for Rick Steves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.